GT - Miss St Post game

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't see Waller as a TE in the NFL. He isn't nearly physical enough to handle that. Have you looked at his arms? It is pretty hard to totally change a guy's physique in the weight room. He will be a tall WR or bust.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Waller as a TE in the NFL. He isn't nearly physical enough to handle that. Have you looked at his arms? It is pretty hard to totally change a guy's physique in the weight room. He will be a tall WR or bust.
I don't think people are saying make him the next Antonio Gates. But I'd say maybe a Patriots type TE like Tim Wright. Strictly pass catcher and maybe occasionally a blocker. He has the blocking abilities if he adds just a little bit of muscle. I'd try him at WR first and then move to the hybrid TE position just to take a look

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Back to the post game. I thought that Miss st was gonna be about like Unc except they have a better defense, qb, and rb. So I didn't feel great about goin into the game, but Unc basically played lights out against us. I was really worried about Dak and Robinson running over us and that we would have to sell out to try to slow them down, leaving our secondary on an island. Then I also worried with their big athletic defense given a month to prepare that we would have problems scoring. The guys stepped up and popped Dak and Robinson all night, then the O just steam rolled just like they have all year. They really sold out to stop our run the first half, I guess feeling that JT and Waller couldn't solely beat them. When they realized that we could beat them passing, thats when we started gashing them. I love the quadruple option.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Back to the post game. I thought that Miss st was gonna be about like Unc except they have a better defense, qb, and rb. So I didn't feel great about goin into the game, but Unc basically played lights out against us. I was really worried about Dak and Robinson running over us and that we would have to sell out to try to slow them down, leaving our secondary on an island. Then I also worried with their big athletic defense given a month to prepare that we would have problems scoring. The guys stepped up and popped Dak and Robinson all night, then the O just steam rolled just like they have all year. They really sold out to stop our run the first half, I guess feeling that JT and Waller couldn't solely beat them. When they realized that we could beat them passing, thats when we started gashing them. I love the quadruple option.
New nickname for our offense - the QO;)

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I have to give Darren Waller a ton of praise also. He really played phenomenal, I was worried when we lost Smelter but Darren stepped in and we never missed a beat. Other than a couple of route communication mistake against FSU Waller has been dominate when called upon. He gave scouts something to look at this year and we probably have 2 wrs goin in the draft now.
Waller is a guy I could see someone like belichick taking a chance on. Play him as a TE/WR combo a la graham and Hernandez. Gain mis-matches.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Great season,

Make that real speed versus SEC speed. See how TCU ran away from Ole Miss? If Alabama faces Oregon, Oregon will run away from Alabama. That is probably the fastest team in football (track speed at least) with all the track stars on the team. We have a bunch of track stars too. And watching the GT-Miami game, Miami has elite speed too. Just not as disciplined.

I think the SEC has emphasized size and strength for trench warfare over speed. Evolve or perish.
Remember Billy Martin talking about Mickey Mantle andhis power....Billly said there is power and then there is Mantle power.......SEC has speed but TCU and Oregon has speed speed................You are right though if Miami was not a total headcase they could fit in there with other speed teams.