GT - Miss St Orange Bowl

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
ND can take the slot of any ACC team they are within one win of if the Bowl chooses ND. Not including the playoff slot. ND could take our Orange Bowl slot this year if the had 9 wins. This is the deal we made to get them to "join" the ACC.
http://game.orangebowl.org/capital-one-becomes-title-sponsor-of-the-orange-bowl/

The Capital One Orange Bowl will play host to a College Football Playoff Semifinal in year two of the agreement (New Year's Eve 2015) and again in year five (2018). In the other four years of the agreement, the Capital One Orange Bowl will feature the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Champion (or ACC replacement team should the champion qualify for the College Football Playoff) against a highly ranked team from the Big Ten, Southeastern Conference (SEC) or Notre Dame. "

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
The
http://game.orangebowl.org/capital-one-becomes-title-sponsor-of-the-orange-bowl/

The Capital One Orange Bowl will play host to a College Football Playoff Semifinal in year two of the agreement (New Year's Eve 2015) and again in year five (2018). In the other four years of the agreement, the Capital One Orange Bowl will feature the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Champion (or ACC replacement team should the champion qualify for the College Football Playoff) against a highly ranked team from the Big Ten, Southeastern Conference (SEC) or Notre Dame. "
ACC rules trump Bowl rules.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Notre Dame cannot take the ACC slot in the Orange Bowl. If they play in the OB, it will be against the ACC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This match up's perfect. We get a shot at embarrassing another SEC factory. If we beat Mich St, all we would have done was knock off a team that would be mocked for being overrated by virtue of playing in a weak *** conference.

All the SEC alibis have been exhausted after the ACC went 4-0 against the "NFL minor league" last week as apparently those teams were the Raiders, Bucs, Jets and Jags of the SEC. Eventually the SEC West bubbas were going to have to play somebody out of conference and I'm glad we're the ones who get a shot.

Maybe we should ask ahead of time if Miss St is a real team or just another SEC pretender? Anyone on here know?
I had very strong opinions about this all season. While they are fully capable of putting together a good game in a one game series (bowl in this case) there was no way they were a number one team. They were just being used as a placeholder until Alabama or Auburn or LSU or Mississippi could get their act together. The odds all along were that they would not win the SEC.

Now the problem is that we either expose them as essentially another SEC East type team or we get beaten and perpetuate the myth of the SEC West. I'm sorry but I see no real strong upside to this game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Now the problem is that we either expose them as essentially another SEC East type team or we get beaten and perpetuate the myth of the SEC West. I'm sorry but I see no real strong upside to this game.

I have to 100% disagree. A win over MSU gives GT (and by default, the ACC) wins over 2 top 10 SEC teams - one from each division. I think that would be a tremendous boost for our program in the eyes of the national media.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have to 100% disagree. A win over MSU gives GT (and by default, the ACC) wins over 2 top 10 SEC teams - one from each division. I think that would be a tremendous boost for our program in the eyes of the national media.
I appreciate your logic but I guess I feel like the ACC is a long way from getting that kind of respect. If any other conference did what you suggest they would get recognition. But I look at the last couple of years when the ACC has made a statement in big games against the SEC and it hasn't moved the needle one bit. There is ALWAYS an excuse.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

this, there is no downside to beating them, and it is a better win in the eyes of pretty much everyone than Mich St.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
It’ll be the fourth straight ranked opponent — and third straight top-10 foe — for Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets have gone 2-1 in that stretch, beating then-No. 18 Clemson and then-No. 8 Georgia before losing 37-35 to the CFP-bound Seminoles on Saturday night.

According to STATS, Georgia Tech will be the first ACC team to face four straight ranked opponents since Miami opened the year with such a streak in 2009.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
It’ll be the fourth straight ranked opponent — and third straight top-10 foe — for Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets have gone 2-1 in that stretch, beating then-No. 18 Clemson and then-No. 8 Georgia before losing 37-35 to the CFP-bound Seminoles on Saturday night.

According to STATS, Georgia Tech will be the first ACC team to face four straight ranked opponents since Miami opened the year with such a streak in 2009.
Miami won the first two, lost the third, and won the fourth.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Really tough opponent for GT.
Play a similar style run heavy offense with a big mobile QB with a good passing game. They are not overrated. Losses to Bama & Ole Miss at home.
Good front 7 on defense too.
Prescott is a Beast.
I do not like this matchup for us.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
At this point, when any ACC team has success, it's looked at as individual success and not conference success. Until the ACC has 4+ teams in the national conversation, the national media will still look at it as a conference with the potential to have 1 or 2 teams rise up each year, usually FSU and Clemson.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Really tough opponent for GT.
Play a similar style run heavy offense with a big mobile QB with a good passing game. They are not overrated. Losses to Bama & Ole Miss at home.
Good front 7 on defense too.
Prescott is a Beast.
I do not like this matchup for us.

Reminds me of those Logan Thomas VT team.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I appreciate your logic but I guess I feel like the ACC is a long way from getting that kind of respect. If any other conference did what you suggest they would get recognition. But I look at the last couple of years when the ACC has made a statement in big games against the SEC and it hasn't moved the needle one bit. There is ALWAYS an excuse.

I agree it takes time to change perceptions. I remember a time when Texas, OU and Nebraska were considered invincible. they are not anymore. What changed? people started beating them...but it took awhile for the brand to diminish. Same with FSU and Miami later on....they were still getting media respect long after it was obvious to the interested observer that they were no longer the FSU and "the U" of old. Same with the SEC...it won't happen overnight. But I am all about starting the process NOW rather than later. Nobody said it would be easy or quick. Let's get started!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree it takes time to change perceptions. I remember a time when Texas, OU and Nebraska were considered invincible. they are not anymore. What changed? people started beating them...but it took awhile for the brand to diminish. Same with FSU and Miami later on....they were still getting media respect long after it was obvious to the interested observer that they were no longer the FSU and "the U" of old. Same with the SEC...it won't happen overnight. But I am all about starting the process NOW rather than later. Nobody said it would be easy or quick. Let's get started!
Yep.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I, too, think this game will be VERY difficult. Not only will they have 3 weeks to get ready for our unique O, but also, they have a very mobile, big QB that I think will give us fits. Once again, I think we have to hold serve on O almost every time to win. I hope I am wrong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Anyone remember the DB that de-committed from us at the last minute and ended up at Miss State? Is he even playing?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Don't we have 3 weeks to prepare for their offense, too? I mean it will be a good challenge but we are a good team too. Im more concerned with Josh Robinson than Dak (who first name Rayne btw) and their defense

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Don't we have 3 weeks to prepare for their offense, too? I mean it will be a good challenge but we are a good team too. Im more concerned with Josh Robinson than Dak (who first name Rayne btw) and their defense

That Top Defense was built with 3* talent (It can be done GT fans). I think that Tolando Cleveland plays but he's not a starter.