GT is More Visible in Public

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I have travelled a bit this year for work. (Not near as much as some people, and not as much as I used to.) I have seen a large uptick in GT clothes in travels to Raleigh, Chicago, etc. It has been quite a while since I would fly and see other people with GT shirts, jackets, hats, etc. I have been wearing a GT hat and carrying a GT backpack for 20 plus years. Yesterday I flew to Chicago and saw plenty of people with GT gear on. Had several say Go Jackets. A guy today at Ohare asked me "What's the good word", and he didn't even have GT clothes on. It appears to me that there is a lot more interest and fans are coming out of hiding. Hopefully Key will put the curse of the former guy to bed permanently.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I wore my GT adidas Tshirt to Publix the AM after the UNC game. I’ve worn that shirt like 50 times and gotten maybe 10 comments ever . At least a dozen people said something to me.

My father in law lives in Massachusetts and doesn’t follow college sports closely; I took him to his one and only college game in 2018. Anyway, he called me the other day to tell me he has seen GT play 3 times this year and “they don’t suck anymore.”

So yea people are noticing

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
When I was traveling for work I always had a GT shirt and or coat to travel in. Have to rep all we can.

Even just running to the store try to have GT gear on. Yes, I am one of "those" Americans when on a cruise or overseas. Been asked WTGW in Mexico, England, France, Italy, and Germany. GT folks all over.

Always try to acknowledge someone when I see them repping GT. (Okay, I don't do that when on or around campus; figure it is not needed...)
Good that you are seeing it away from metro Atlanta.

@swarmer, it's great that your Dad noticed that we "don’t suck anymore.” 😁

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If it was O'Hare and Chicago, it was probably me. I live in the airport. I ALWAYS travel wearing GT gear. 78 flights this year on United.
I have travelled a bit this year for work. (Not near as much as some people, and not as much as I used to.) I have seen a large uptick in GT clothes in travels to Raleigh, Chicago, etc. It has been quite a while since I would fly and see other people with GT shirts, jackets, hats, etc. I have been wearing a GT hat and carrying a GT backpack for 20 plus years. Yesterday I flew to Chicago and saw plenty of people with GT gear on. Had several say Go Jackets. A guy today at Ohare asked me "What's the good word", and he didn't even have GT clothes on. It appears to me that there is a lot more interest and fans are coming out of hiding. Hopefully Key will put the curse of the former guy to bed permanently.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If it was O'Hare and Chicago, it was probably me. I live in the airport. I ALWAYS travel wearing GT gear. 78 flights this year on United.
It was Delta flight into Terminal 5. I have only had about 45 segments this year. I used to travel more and for longer periods than a day or two at a time. I don't miss it.

Saw several (more than 10) people in the Atlanta airport, which isn't too surprising. There were at least 3 on my plane with GT clothes. The guy sitting next to me is a relative of one of the assistant coaches. At least 5 people said "Go Jackets" to me today in Terminal 5. One, who wasn't in GT clothes asked - what's the good word - to which I gave the appropriate reply.

I saw one of the guys on the plane with a GT polo on at baggage claim and talked to him. He was the only one that I talked to that didn't know much about the football team. (actually knew nothing) He said he is a PHD student travelling home so spend Thanksgiving holiday with his family. Other than him, lots of people in GT clothes who were active in announcing support for the football program.

Also, not positive but also not negative about sports. There was a panhandler in the tunnel to the offsite parking busses in Atlanta who saw my GT clothes and said "How bout them Jackets". Then when I didn't give him money and walked past him he said "(...) are gonna kick yall's a** this weekend". I would have said "mutts" and didn't want to actually spell out the word that he used, so I left that word out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It was Delta flight into Terminal 5. I have only had about 45 segments this year. I used to travel more and for longer periods than a day or two at a time. I don't miss it.

Saw several (more than 10) people in the Atlanta airport, which isn't too surprising. There were at least 3 on my plane with GT clothes. The guy sitting next to me is a relative of one of the assistant coaches. At least 5 people said "Go Jackets" to me today in Terminal 5. One, who wasn't in GT clothes asked - what's the good word - to which I gave the appropriate reply.

I saw one of the guys on the plane with a GT polo on at baggage claim and talked to him. He was the only one that I talked to that didn't know much about the football team. (actually knew nothing) He said he is a PHD student travelling home so spend Thanksgiving holiday with his family. Other than him, lots of people in GT clothes who were active in announcing support for the football program.

Also, not positive but also not negative about sports. There was a panhandler in the tunnel to the offsite parking busses in Atlanta who saw my GT clothes and said "How bout them Jackets". Then when I didn't give him money and walked past him he said "(...) are gonna kick yall's a** this weekend". I would have said "mutts" and didn't want to actually spell out the word that he used, so I left that word out.
United guy now. Terminal 1 or 2. I did fly Delta last month into Terminal 5, but that's rare. Anyone see a fat, white guy in Terminal 1 or 2 at O'Hare, it's probably me. Feel free to approach. Often in the United Club.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I was in Midway coming back from the ND game in 2021 wearing a Tech shirt and hat. A lady standing in line next to me asked me why I wasn't embarrassed to wear Tech stuff after the way we played.
lol
If it had been a guy I would have told him to f**k off. I just said we will be back, don't worry.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I was in Midway coming back from the ND game in 2021 wearing a Tech shirt and hat. A lady standing in line next to me asked me why I wasn't embarrassed to wear Tech stuff after the way we played.
lol
If it had been a guy I would have told him to f**k off. I just said we will be back, don't worry.
I just laugh at people like that and say wtte: "I am a proud alumnus, not just a fan."

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s not related to football, but a fun story.
About 15 years ago, I was traveling in a remote of China on business. I was to meet the Managing Director of a very large factory, the largest of its kind in the world.

Waiting, Mr Lee enters with an interpreter. We exchange pleasantries.

The interpreter, a woman, says to me, “Mr Lee asks, where are you from?” Atlanta, I said.

She relays the message. Mr Lee nods.

“Mr Lee asks, where did you go to university?” Georgia Institute of Technology, I said.

Mr Lee turns to me, and in perfect English says, “Me too. Textiles ‘78.”

You never know who you might meet.