GT Hoops General Topics

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
NOOOOO i was so looking forward to seeing tech at the barclays!!!!!!!
it should be easy to socialdistance for that game

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"laying bricks"? Not the best terminology for a bb player!!:p In addition to playing little or no D, laying bricks was my forte back in my JV days!

LOL...I actually had to process "laying bricks" when I saw it. "Wait...is GT basketball bragging about our bad shooting?!!"

slugboy

Staff member
Anyone hearing anything about appealing the other NCAA sanctions, after we withdrew our appeal of the postseason ban?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Congrats to James. From what I can tell he should make over a couple of hundred grand and probably have room and board covered.
Not bad at all. Glad he got it locked down.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Every once in a while a name from the past pops up, and you go "D@mn!". I remember Pastner was in on him pretty early, and I believe we were a finalist. I remember his recruiting ended under weird circumstances so I'm not sure how serious he was about GT when it came time to make a decision. Point is, our staff is REALLY good at finding talent, but they need to do a better job of signing said talent.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Every once in a while a name from the past pops up, and you go "D@mn!". I remember Pastner was in on him pretty early, and I believe we were a finalist. I remember his recruiting ended under weird circumstances so I'm not sure how serious he was about GT when it came time to make a decision. Point is, our staff is REALLY good at finding talent, but they need to do a better job of signing said talent.

Bit of a tangent but with the benefit of hindsight he's one of those that I don't really mind getting away. Talented for sure, and at the time felt like a gut punch because it seemed like him like having 3 years of Jose + Mike + him would have had us for sure back to where we wanted to be. Turns out he had his sights on the NBA the entire way, and was a one and done after a good, but not spectacular year, and getting drafted in the second round. Very well could have been the best choice for him so I'm not criticizing him, but I don't think that is what we needed at the time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bit of a tangent but with the benefit of hindsight he's one of those that I don't really mind getting away. Talented for sure, and at the time felt like a gut punch because it seemed like him like having 3 years of Jose + Mike + him would have had us for sure back to where we wanted to be. Turns out he had his sights on the NBA the entire way, and was a one and done after a good, but not spectacular year, and getting drafted in the second round. Very well could have been the best choice for him so I'm not criticizing him, but I don't think that is what we needed at the time.

Good and valid point.

Gist of my post was our staff is REALLY good at ID'ing talent very early...not so good with signing them unfortunately.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Good and valid point.

Gist of my post was our staff is REALLY good at ID'ing talent very early...not so good with signing them unfortunately.

For sure. It's somewhat to be expected with our recent history which is why this year is so important for us to change the recent impression of our program and give the staff some more more tools to close out.