GT Hoops General Topics

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Just so long at this doesn't bring a LaVar Ball circus to us - we are FINALLY moving past Ol' Ron despite the noise Chibbs made recently

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Just so long at this doesn't bring a LaVar Ball circus to us - we are FINALLY moving past Ol' Ron despite the noise Chibbs made recently
I would welcome LaVar Ball as a replacement for the R** B*** f*ckover that we have suffered through. I rather have people laughing at us because of a kook, than having them think we are dirty because of a kook.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I would welcome LaVar Ball as a replacement for the R** B*** f*ckover that we have suffered through. I rather have people laughing at us because of a kook, than having them think we are dirty because of a kook.
You’ll get no argument from me, just saying I definitely don’t want to have suffered through them both.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I don't know a person who would fault CJP's heart. Person after Person talks about how he is a genuine guy who cares. But that isn't what you are judged on here. You need to win. I wonder if the financial situation was different at the Institute if our Coch wouldn't already be gone.

I'm pulling for Josh.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't know a person who would fault CJP's heart. Person after Person talks about how he is a genuine guy who cares. But that isn't what you are judged on here. You need to win. I wonder if the financial situation was different at the Institute if our Coch wouldn't already be gone.

I'm pulling for Josh.

If the financial situation were different he wouldn't have been hired here.

That being said, he won ACC CotY in his first year and finished 5th in conference in year 4 returning a lot for year 5. With where we were at as a program, not even in terms of financials, that is a success.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am beginning to look at the upcoming hoops season. I wonder how you guys feel about our chances this year?

Except for UVA and Duke at one end and Wake at the other, the ACC looks very tight. We could finish in the top five or near the bottom with only a couple of games going one way or the other. I like our guard play and I think Moses could be a top player in the ACC. I worry that we will continue to shoot poorly and not value possessions. And the loss of Banks could be a real issue. But, here we are in October and the season is about six weeks away.

Will we tell Usher he is not a shooter and his role is to find Devoe? Will Saba or Howard be adequate inside? Will this be a breakout year for Moore?

We have a lot of questions with very elusive answers.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We have an experienced core of Devoe/Alvarado and Moses that should make us a "good" team. How good is going to depend on the answers to the other questions you were starting to list. We have a lot of potential but right now we don't know if Howard will be sufficient to start at center and with that don't know what our lineup/structure will be. We also are going to need more 3 point shooting from either Usher or Moore. I am hopeful and looking forward to the season but not ready to put my money on where we finish in the ACC until I see the answer to a few of those questions.

slugboy

Staff member
We've done pretty well with the big guys in the past, but this year is so transitional I'm not sure what to expect there. I even wonder if we use a small lineup more often because they're more mature players.

From 3, Devoe is option 1. Bubba Parham ought to be option 2, if he's on the floor. Maybe Alvarado is your third shooter (second, if Parham isn't in).
Is lineup #1 Alvarado-Devoe-Parham-Usher-Howard?
If it is, is Usher going to be our slasher?

If Parham is out, do we have a SF-PF-C group and more traditional offense? An Usher-Wright or Moore or Didenko-Saba frontcourt?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We've done pretty well with the big guys in the past, but this year is so transitional I'm not sure what to expect there. I even wonder if we use a small lineup more often because they're more mature players.

From 3, Devoe is option 1. Bubba Parham ought to be option 2, if he's on the floor. Maybe Alvarado is your third shooter (second, if Parham isn't in).
Is lineup #1 Alvarado-Devoe-Parham-Usher-Howard?
If it is, is Usher going to be our slasher?

If Parham is out, do we have a SF-PF-C group and more traditional offense? An Usher-Wright or Moore or Didenko-Saba frontcourt?

I'm really confused about your view of Wright. He's a starter 100%.

Our starting lineup is almost certainly going to be Jose-Mike-Jordan-Moses and then probably Howard or Saba at the. We'll probably see some small ball lineups where Moses slides to the 5 but that is more dependent on matchup than as a base thing I feel. Our defense is too predicated on having a true shot blocking threat down low.