GT Hoops General Topics

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Cracks me up that half this thread is about Marbury. You have to give the guy credit though. He knows how to promote. Here is a video to promote the new Chinese basketball season with Steph and Randolph Morris speaking Chinese and playing some sort of checkers or something:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2015 preseason tournaments are starting to be announced, so thought I'd keep a running tally here as to who's already committed to one from the ACC. Some are from the link below, some are per Jon Rothstein on twitter.

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2...asketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE

• Notre Dame - Orlando Classic
  • UVA - Charleston Classic
  • BC - Wooden Legacy
  • Miami - Puerto Rico Shootout
  • dook - 2K Sports Classic (NYC)
  • Wake - Maui
  • UNC - CBE HOF Classic (Kansas City)
  • Cuse - Battle 4 Atlantis
  • VT - Emerald Coast Classic

From what I can tell, potential landing spots for us could be a couple of Vegas events, Preaseason NIT, Coaches vs. Cancer in Brooklyn, Cancun Challenge, & Paradise Jam, which would seem to match up with events we haven't played in the past 4 years and potential landing spots for hte 6 remaining ACC squads. I'm hoping for Vegas or NYC/BK.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I swear I thought this had happened twice already, but it remains great news.

As a graduate he is now eligible to have his number retired. Do you think there is any chance he has that happen one day? Kind of as the representative of the Final 4 team?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think his number should be retired opening night the season after MGH graduates. Realistically, this will probably keep it from happening.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/ot/jerseyretirement.html

There's an unsaid rule that numbers don't get retired in football in honor of Castleberry, but that outline of who can get their number retired pretty much points to Joe Hamilton.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think his number should be retired opening night the season after MGH graduates. Realistically, this will probably keep it from happening.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/ot/jerseyretirement.html

So I guess that means Jack doesn't fit in at this section:
Nominees must meet the following criteria to allow a nomination to be submitted to the committee:

• a. Nominee must have received a bachelor's degree from Georgia Tech.
    b. Nominee must have accomplished ONE of the following ...

• i. Earned a National Player of the Year award recognized by the NCAA
      ii. Earned a National Award (e.g. - Biletnikoff Award, Davey O'Brien Award) recognized by the NCAA
      iii. Earned a First-Team All-America designation by an organization recognized by the NCAA AND,

• 1. his/her team must have won a national championship AND,
        2.he/she was named Outstanding Player of the national championship event (e.g. - Final Four MVP).
    c. Nominee must have represented and continue to represent Georgia Tech in the highest possible manner in all endeavors within sports as well as his/her personal life.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Reading that it makes me wonder about all the guys retired on the basketball team. I guess they must have all been first team AA.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
There's an unsaid rule that numbers don't get retired in football in honor of Castleberry, but that outline of who can get their number retired pretty much points to Joe Hamilton.
Additionally, it honestly gets very silly to start trying to retire football jersey numbers. When you have 22 starters at all time, let alone need to assign numbers to 85 scholarship athletes plus walk-ons and then have any sort of historical success it doesn't take long at all to have problems.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Calvin Johnson would also qualify if he went back to school and graduated. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go do that, but as previously mentioned, I don't think we're ever retiring another football number.

I think the rules changed after Harpring, as I'm not sure he would've even qualified. All that said, rules be damned, I think Jack deserves to go up in the rafters.

Calvin Johnson would also qualify if he went back to school and graduated. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go do that, but as previously mentioned, I don't think we're ever retiring another football number.

I think the rules changed after Harpring, as I'm not sure he would've even qualified. All that said, rules be damned, I think Jack deserves to go up in the rafters.
In retrospect Jarret did as much as any of the great Tech PG's has done. He was a 4 yr starter and led them to a final four. What more could you ask for. His number should be hanging and be forever remembered.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
That 2004 team was special. I can still remember watching them play UCONN in the pre NIT and whipping them. We were not highly rated from what I remember in the preseason and came out of nowhere to have a great season. I sure wish we could have beat UCONN in our 2nd match up that year!