GT Hoops General Topics

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Heat on his seat will come - if it comes at all - from poor performance and especially fans staying away. If fans "fire" him that could force Todd to make a decision a year before he wants to. Middle of the pack and at least sniffing bubbles and he is way safe.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Heat on his seat will come - if it comes at all - from poor performance and especially fans staying away. If fans "fire" him that could force Todd to make a decision a year before he wants to. Middle of the pack and at least sniffing bubbles and he is way safe.

We are pretty much at rock bottom for ticket sales already. We could probably put 5 dwarfs out there and draw about the same.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The 'fans firing him' narrative is more wish fulfillment than reality. Over the last decade tickets sales have basically been somewhere between 6,000-7,000 per year. If you start doing the numbers to think about the cost-benefit you would likely need a loss of 2,500+ tickets per game to make it worthwhile to eat that extra year. That would basically mean season ticket sales cratering to a level they have never been in since pre-Cremins.

That is just to cover the difference between having to pay 100% of his contract vs 75%. it doesn't include the costs associated with having to pay 2 HC's.

He's going to get 5 years. it's just a matter of how hot is the seat going to be in year 5. If you wanted me to rank how hot his seat is right now on a 1-10 scale with 1 being ice cold and 10 being the sun, i'd give it about a 2.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
The 'fans firing him' narrative is more wish fulfillment than reality. Over the last decade tickets sales have basically been somewhere between 6,000-7,000 per year. If you start doing the numbers to think about the cost-benefit you would likely need a loss of 2,500+ tickets per game to make it worthwhile to eat that extra year. That would basically mean season ticket sales cratering to a level they have never been in since pre-Cremins.

That is just to cover the difference between having to pay 100% of his contract vs 75%. it doesn't include the costs associated with having to pay 2 HC's.

He's going to get 5 years. it's just a matter of how hot is the seat going to be in year 5. If you wanted me to rank how hot his seat is right now on a 1-10 scale with 1 being ice cold and 10 being the sun, i'd give it about a 2.
Is it safe to say that since he's been at tech he has gotten better each season and so have his teams?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Josh is actually a pretty decent coach in the toughest BB conference. He just can't seem to get the top players needed in the ACC. Look at what Roy has cobbled together at UNC. Collins needs to help Josh sell the program better. We are just a couple of players at the right positions to be really competitive.

GT11

GT Athlete
Josh is actually a pretty decent coach in the toughest BB conference. He just can't seem to get the top players needed in the ACC. Look at what Roy has cobbled together at UNC. Collins needs to help Josh sell the program better. We are just a couple of players at the right positions to be really competitive.
Spot on

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I mean, This is just supporting in order to support the program. You are holding the football coach responsible for selling the basketball program? No doubt Collins has done a great job for football but selling basketball to kids in Atlanta should be like selling fire insurance to people in Los Angeles.

Pastner is a bad fit for Atlanta. That’s my opinion at the moment. I’ve made this comment with some others on the board privately and I’m comfortable saying it now. Pastner is awkward while LaBarrie and Hardy were good assistants for him while Reveno can build a rocket ship out of tin foil and a bedroom fan.

Someday I’ll explain this theory further but I’m not ready to do so now. Let’s schedule it for 5/1/21

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I mean, This is just supporting in order to support the program. You are holding the football coach responsible for selling the basketball program? No doubt Collins has done a great job for football but selling basketball to kids in Atlanta should be like selling fire insurance to people in Los Angeles.

Pastner is a bad fit for Atlanta. That’s my opinion at the moment. I’ve made this comment with some others on the board privately and I’m comfortable saying it now. Pastner is awkward while LaBarrie and Hardy were good assistants for him while Reveno can build a rocket ship out of tin foil and a bedroom fan.

Someday I’ll explain this theory further but I’m not ready to do so now. Let’s schedule it for 5/1/21

Honestly, I get the impression that this job was different than even what he expected.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I can't really envision Pastner going out there and talking about the 404 and bringing Jeezy to practice. Collins' pitch seems genuine, but coming from Pastner, it would be hokey as hell. He has to find his own way, if he can.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I can't really envision Pastner going out there and talking about the 404 and bringing Jeezy to practice. Collins' pitch seems genuine, but coming from Pastner, it would be hokey as hell. He has to find his own way, if he can.

Agreed. Collins is naturally cool without even trying hard (a very unique attribute to attain), while Pastner is naturally goofy and awkward. That's not really a knock on him but more a big complement to Collins. The naturally cool is hard to possess, just look at Kirby. lol

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No doubt Collins has done a great job for football but selling basketball to kids in Atlanta should be like selling fire insurance to people in Los Angeles.

I’ve disagreed with you privately and will here as well. We do agree that there’s plenty to sell, and we should see more closes, but it’s not easy as it appears on paper. As we discussed, you don’t wake up and forget how to recruit, it’s just a lot harder at some places than others! There’s just as many headwinds if not more selling points.

There’s a ton of variables, but the reason that we aren’t landing Atlanta kids has less to do with Pastner being awkward or uncool than us being relevant on the college basketball landscape or winning games. That cures all and it is a necessary step before any of the game-changing recruits start tripping over themselves to sign up.

Recruits go on visits to other big time programs and see rabid crowds, at a GT game they may see 40% of the stands filled with opposing teams colors. Let’s call it like it is....GT hasn’t been in the dance since high school kids today were in diapers! They’ve never seen us there....

Look, I’m going to support the program just as hard if they name you the coach, but I just don’t think it’s as simple as saying Pastner isn’t a good fit at GT. If he’s not, then who is a good fit? What’s the profile?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I’ve disagreed with you privately and will here as well. We do agree that there’s plenty to sell, and we should see more closes, but it’s not easy as it appears on paper. As we discussed, you don’t wake up and forget how to recruit, it’s just a lot harder at some places than others! There’s just as many headwinds if not more selling points.

There’s a ton of variables, but the reason that we aren’t landing Atlanta kids has less to do with Pastner being awkward or uncool than us being relevant on the college basketball landscape or winning games. That cures all.

Recruits go on visits to other big time programs and see rabid crowds, at a GT game they may see 40% of the stands filled with opposing teams colors. Let’s call it like it is....GT hasn’t been in the dance since high school kids today were in diapers! They’ve never seen us there....

Look, I’m going to support the program just as hard if they name you the coach, but I just don’t think it’s as simple as saying Pastner isn’t a good fit at GT. If he’s not, then who is a good fit? What’s the profile?

As discussed privately I’m not sure that’s true. Hewitt posted horrible records at times and still landed high end talent deep into his GT tenure. I think you either have it or you don’t. Pastner ain’t got it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As discussed privately I’m not sure that’s true. Hewitt posted horrible records at times and still landed high end talent deep into his GT tenure. I think you either have it or you don’t. Pastner ain’t got it.

Things weren’t nearly as bleak when Hewitt took over as it was Pastner got here. He was one of the best recruiters in the game for sure, but give him the same project as what Josh inherited and he may not have done as well here. It’s really hard to say.

It had been almost 7 years since our prior NCAA appearance when Josh was hired. GT still had some name recognition back then. Not to mention the recruiting “game” changed as well.

I’m not on a crusade to defend Pastner, but this is like comparing teams from different eras. There’s too many variables to do so.

One other thing that we agree on is that **** needs to get better and fast!