GT Hoops General Topics

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I would be shocked beyond belief if Woods goes pro after one year. I think he's in Chapel Hill for four years and will be a nice player, but not an All-ACC player for at least a couple of years. Just my POV, but think his composite rank (#48 overall / #15 PG-CG) aligns with that view also

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Understand but my view is his athleticism is elite. Not quite John Wall who I saw a ton but in that zip code. IMHO his issue will be the obvious transition to a faster college game and then the biggie will be his shot. Again IMHO his ceiling is a lot higher than a "nice player".

Roy plays a system which will accentuate his athleticism so I think he has a good shot to shine. As always it is how hard he wants to work.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
didn't mean to imply anything negative by calling him a "nice player"... just don't see him as OAD or even 2 & done. Agree with you that the baby blue crowd hasn't had an elite athlete at PG in a long time. Ty Lawson is probably most recent and he was amazingly quick but not super athletic in any other dimension. (and that was 7 years ago) Kendall Marshall was a really nice college PG but got by on basketball IQ and incredibly pedestrian athletic ability.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW I wasn't focusing on "nice player" as the crux of your comment - though it was nice low hanging fruit :D

I actually do have a significant difference in how I see this kid versus you. No guarantees but I do believe he has a much higher ceiling than you do. that is based on seeing some elite level athleticism - at least flashes of it - that give him a chance to go really high in the draft as the NBA values that characteristic very highly. Not consistent from the three games I saw and he doesn't have a plus shot yet - but in high school John Wall shot a set shot for anything outside of 15 feet. Could look down in the basket off the drive but didn't have a jump shot at all. He ain't quite John Wall but he is closer than I think you are giving credit for - and that the services give credit for. I take your point on that.

To your other point I was thinking of Lawson as well and had exactly the same view as you. Fast but not "athletic" in the other ways.

It will be interesting to see how he develops and which one of us is right. As he is a UNC player though I doubt we spend a lot of time arguing this again after the season :cool:

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Just watched some of the NBA draft and noted a lot of foreign players drafted. I trust we have coaches
recruiting in Europe on a regular basis. Southern/Eastern Europe seems to be the hot spot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just watched some of the NBA draft and noted a lot of foreign players drafted. I trust we have coaches
recruiting in Europe on a regular basis. Southern/Eastern Europe seems to be the hot spot.

TOUGH living trying to play pro basketball in the NBA. Only 2 rounds, and 32 teams...and you're competing with players around the WORLD? Quite possibly the toughest league in pro sports to make.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

We'll have coaches at the U17 championships over the next week. One is already over there.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have a friend who writes a sports blog and I, plus a few other sports nuts, like his sometimes grumpy point of view. This is from his latest rant:

Kentucky coach, John Calipari, has a habit of saying some “off-center” things. That should not, however, lead you to believe he is unintelligent. Calipari has lots of good ideas but good ideas rarely attract a similar level of public attention as compared to off-center ideas/remarks. Several weeks ago, Calipari suggested that the SEC should not hold a conference championship tournament at the end of the basketball season. His idea is that the regular season conference champion would claim the guaranteed NCAA Tournament bid and then the Selection Committee could pick and choose from the other schools in the conference to fill out the field. He believes that late-season losses in the SEC Tournament hurt teams in the conference with regard to selection and with regard to seeding.

In its place, he suggested that the SEC hold an early-season tournament that was not a single-elimination format. With 16 teams, every team would play 4 games; there would be an early-season tournament champion and every school would get 4 games under their belts early on. He thinks that would be a way to get lots of fans to engage with their teams. Here is Calipari’s general outline for this early-season tournament:

“You have to do it in November. Play a game or two and then, out of the gate, you have a conference tournament. You know you have it for one week. Maybe you have two sites in the same city. Maybe it’s in Atlanta. You’re doing it every year. Let’s all [have] our fans go to Atlanta and everything is geared for the SEC.”

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Charles is being told he won't be playing in the NBA any time soon. Shouldn't surprise him or anyone else.

Good money to be made overseas at the middle leagues and higher - so take advantage of it. Lot of European and Asian teams send scouts to camps/tryouts like this one. It is just part of the way the sausage is made. I have a very small part in helping to run a much lower level European tryout program. We get low D1 and some high D2 players to come out. But if accepted they have to pay their way on a basketball playing tour of Europe where mid/lower level teams can come see them play over there. Something like 10 games in 12 days with lots of train rides in between. Accommodations not quite Ritz level. I just help hold the tryout - don't go with them but the stories are really good and funny. Kids drying their uniforms by hanging them out of the train, country boy from SC tries to operate in France, stuff like that.

The kids we get can find homes in Europe - not great paying - but good basketball and personal experiences for a season or 2. If we can find lower level kids a home then I know there is a place for Charles. Just have to find the right level. I wish him luck.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

@kg01

I'm not saying I'm always right........but.........

I saw that a couple days ago and braced for the impact of this post.

I'm not giving you that one. Stansbury got that recruit to TXA&M in the first place so when he decommitted it was logical that he'd follow Rick to WKU. Nope, I gotta see more before I eat any crow here, Joel Bro-steen.