GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think it’s the wins and losses as much. I think most GT fans are frustrated because we simply look inept just about every game. Most of us who post here probably watch a lot of college football. I plan my fall Saturdays around the games I want to see which means I often get up early to get my husband/father duties done by noon or 3p depending on when the good games come on. So, yes, while it would be nice to win more than 3 games that isn’t what really chaps my backside. What does is that we make the exact same mistakes every game and often look like the worse team on any given Saturday. The Notre Dame game was a perfect example. Our special teams get exposed on the opening kickoff with our guys just running down the field like 5th graders with no coaching and then the first play from scrimmage we leave a tight end uncovered for a 1st and goal. The last 2 Pitt games were identical. That shouldn’t happen. We knew exactly what they were going to do and we did nothing to change how we defend them. Pickett ran both games like he was Lamar Jackson and had open WR’s both games.

I don’t care how many games we win because I know it often comes down to turnovers, ref calls in the final 5 minutes, and who has it that day. But we should at least look like we’ve been coached and have some discipline. Watching guys false start on 3rd and 2, watching DB’s celebrate after making a routine play, and lining up in shotgun on 1st and goal from the 1 is just silly football that perennial losing programs do. Maybe that is what we are now, but I still hold out hope.
To me, the ultimate example of the utter ineptitude of the coaching staff, which of course bleeds over to the players, was the opening kickoff of the mutt game. Our kickoff receiver, I think it was Gibbs, waived everyone off and then let the kickoff land on the 3 yard line. Then he had to scramble to cover it and barely avoid giving the ball to the other team inside the 5, or worse a touchdown to the other team on the opening kickoff. Any 3rd grader playing pee wee’s with 2 brain cells, and a coach or dad knows not to do something that stupid.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, the ultimate example of the utter ineptitude of the coaching staff, which of course bleeds over to the players, was the opening kickoff of the mutt game. Our kickoff receiver, I think it was Gibbs, waived everyone off and then let the kickoff land on the 3 yard line. Then he had to scramble to cover it and barely avoid giving the ball to the other team inside the 5, or worse a touchdown to the other team on the opening kickoff. Any 3rd grader playing pee wee’s with 2 brain cells, and a coach or dad knows not to do something that stupid.
Ok, maybe not a touchdown, because I don’t think the kicking team is allowed to advance the ball in that situation, but my point still stands. Anyone knows better than to let that kickoff land.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Thats on Gibbs

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Thats on Gibbs
He didn't play much at all the rest of the game.

Did he get hurt in that game or did he say "I'm out and don't want to play for GT anymore. Don't put me in?"

If it's the latter, then I'm really okay with him looking for better opportunities elsewhere. In my book you never give up on your team.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why some are still willing to die on the hill of “it takes years to develop offensive linemen.”

There are no excuses left. Everywhere else winning coaches make the transition by year three. We did not get that. If we don’t having a winning season next year it will be clear that blaming the old system was a fig leaf for multiple coaching failures.

I am desperate for this situation to turn around and nothing would make me happier than for CGC to turn the corner with this team. But I have lost all patience with blame placing and excuse making.
Just because you don't like the reasons doesn't make them excuses.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
I think most GT fans are frustrated because we simply look inept just about every game.
There you go.

There's a fellow on my small forum from Nebraska. They apparently canned pretty much the entire staff except for head coach Scott Frost. Nebraska football is, to most Nebraskans (to hear him tell it) at an all time low point.

They finished the season 3-9, same as us essentially. BUT (and yes, there's almost always a but) they lost all of those games by a combined 50 points or so. The biggest lost they had if memory serves was to Ohio State and they lost that one by 9 points.

They were IN every game. You get one or two plays in each game to go your way and suddenly that 3-9 team is 8-4.

Yes, losing is losing and nobody likes that. But you didn't see the Nebraska players looking around after getting blown out for the umpteenth time like they just woke up and wondered how they got there.

You see that on both sides of the ball with GT all the time.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
He didn't play much at all the rest of the game.

Did he get hurt in that game or did he say "I'm out and don't want to play for GT anymore. Don't put me in?"

If it's the latter, then I'm really okay with him looking for better opportunities elsewhere. In my book you never give up on your team.
I think we now know the answer… I mean if he had already made up his mind then why on earth would he go back out there and risk injury ? I don’t blame Gibbs at all and wish him the best - he seems a great kid. I wish we hadn’t wasted his time here with the coaching performance that we’ve had. Again, cant blame him for tapping out.

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I have to say I do think less of him if he gave up on his teammates. Not the guy I want in the foxhole with me, to be honest.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
For the record, I’m still willing to be convinced otherwise but so far I just see the bar for this team’s performance being set lower and lower. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck……
I'm not saying you're wrong. It's just that depending on how you look at something, someone's legitimate reasons may sound like excuses to others. For instance, the reason for some of our inconsistency on offense was youth at QB and horrific OL play. Those are the reasons in my mind.

Now, why was our OL horrific, well, there you might get some excuse-making or maybe some legitimate reasons. Personally, I think expecting to turn the OL organically takes longer than any other position on the field, so I look at that as a reason, not an excuse. I don't think the young guys are ready, so I was very good with the Portal for OL. I think we were successful with Cochran and I'm not sure about the others. I'm not an OL guy, so I just see the DL getting turned loose and our QB's running for their lives and say "we got a problem." I don't know what that problem is and I really haven't heard what I would say are good reasons why our OL play was so horrendous.

These are just my thoughts.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have to say I do think less of him if he gave up on his teammates. Not the guy I want in the foxhole with me, to be honest.
Seriously? If I was Gibbs I would have pulled a hammy back in October. Gibbs gave us his all. If I was asked as the best player on the team to return kicks in meaningless games I would have pulled the hammy in August. Seriously, what coach puts his franchise player as kick returner in meaningless games? Why not on kickoff coverage or punt coverage?