GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Stats only work when they confirm a preconceived narrative. Other than that they are just meaningless numbers... </Sarcasm>
"Lies, damn lies, and statistics." - attributable to Leonard H. Courtney

A good engineer can make numbers say damn near anything he wants them to regardless of the argument.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Come on man. Patenadue had zero P5 coaching experience before GT. ZERO. Long has been on the staff at SIX P5 schools including being the OC at ND in the CFP. Their resumes are in no way similar! 80% of FBS teams run similar offenses, It's about how well you run them and how talented your players are. Long may or may not be successful at GT but he is much more qualified than Patenadue was.
It is true that he has P5 experience. Being OC at ND under Brian Kelley is like being DC under Saban. Best case scenario is that he picked up lots of good experience and knowledge in addition to what he already had there. Worst case is the success was due more to Kelley than Long. His Tulane stop is a bit troubling, but the info there is very limited. He will have his chance here either way. Hopefully it works out.

crazy4GT

Georgia Tech Fan
It is true that he has P5 experience. Being OC at ND under Brian Kelley is like being DC under Saban. Best case scenario is that he picked up lots of good experience and knowledge in addition to what he already had there. Worst case is the success was due more to Kelley than Long. His Tulane stop is a bit troubling, but the info there is very limited. He will have his chance here either way. Hopefully it works out.

So that guy at Athens farm school had no business being a head coach? Makes no sense to discredit someone because their head coach had done the same job.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I took that to mean it is a good thing to be an OC under Kelly or a DC under Saban because you learn things from them.
I took it the way he did. A way of saying that Saban has his hands on the defense so it’s never your results.
But I’m in line with your thinking, or at least an approximation of it. Guys like Saban and Kelly know coaching defense and offense respectively. They aren’t going to hire bad coaches there and definitely not keeping them there for 3 years if they aren’t good.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As noted, my stats were incorrect. However, I find it interesting that people are taking the stance that Pnaude developed Sims. I would attribute the slight improvement in numbers to him playing more games, got a full spring practice in, and the ACC overall this year was down. He did play Clemson and Notre Dame last year so we can stop talking about him not just playing Georgia as well. The game is slowing down for him but he's not being coached up. When your talent far exceeds the numbers you are producing then the blame lies elsewhere. I'm all ears on what drastic improvement he has made statistically. Maybe my definition for drastic improvement is different than ya'lls. He didn't get to face any FCS schools last year but got to face 2 better defenses. This year he didn't face any FCS schools nor any of the better defenses.
I think the problem is you're tying Sims's improvement to CDP. I don't remember anyone saying that. What has been said, and proven in my opinion, is that Sims improved from 2020 to 2021. If you want to give credit to someone/something other than his coach, I have no problem with that. I don't think there's any way for you to know that or prove that, but you're entitled to that opinion. Just stop saying Sims didn't improve. That's what people are taking umbrage with.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I took it the way he did. A way of saying that Saban has his hands on the defense so it’s never your results.
But I’m in line with your thinking, or at least an approximation of it. Guys like Saban and Kelly know coaching defense and offense respectively. They aren’t going to hire bad coaches there and definitely not keeping them there for 3 years if they aren’t good.
It’s called mentoring I believe.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think the problem is you're tying Sims's improvement to CDP. I don't remember anyone saying that. What has been said, and proven in my opinion, is that Sims improved from 2020 to 2021. If you want to give credit to someone/something other than his coach, I have no problem with that. I don't think there's any way for you to know that or prove that, but you're entitled to that opinion. Just stop saying Sims didn't improve. That's what people are taking umbrage with.

Both sims and yates worked with that QB camp that gave them NIL money i think.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
The statistics go both ways. You can point to his higher statistics and I'll point to facing weaker defenses (DFEI rankings YoY show that). He also had some called swing pass and screens that Gibbs took to the house. Those do inflate the stats a little. But the play was called, he executed it, and Gibbs scored. I'm not trying to take that away from any player.

But your argument of me tying a players improvement to a coach...what are the points of coaches then? The improvement you saw was the game slowing down to him after having an additional season and spring under his belt. His improvement was inconsistent and that's why I tie that to the game slowing down. Nothing the coaches did.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The statistics go both ways. You can point to his higher statistics and I'll point to facing weaker defenses (DFEI rankings YoY show that). He also had some called swing pass and screens that Gibbs took to the house. Those do inflate the stats a little. But the play was called, he executed it, and Gibbs scored. I'm not trying to take that away from any player.

But your argument of me tying a players improvement to a coach...what are the points of coaches then? The improvement you saw was the game slowing down to him after having an additional season and spring under his belt. His improvement was inconsistent and that's why I tie that to the game slowing down. Nothing the coaches did.
The point is you're trashing one of our players in order to take jabs at CDP. Not cool.

slugboy

Staff member
I feel like a chump for posting this

ESPN 2021 ACC QBR: https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/group/1
Jeff Sims: 53.1

ESPN 2020 ACC QBR: https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/season/2020/group/1
Jeff Sims: 43.7

He didn't play UGA either year. 2020 was a weird year, but a naive interpretation is that he got better.

Before you say "well, he didn't play anybody", the QBRs are weighted based on competition. So, who you played is factored into the score.

It doesn't adjust for how well the rest of your offense played, so if you were getting sacked left and right, your QBR suffers. Life is not fair.

There's no "grade" associated with the ratings, but for argument's sake
< 50 : This is bad
50-60 : Unless your defense rocks, you aren't winning here. (Sims, Burmeister, etc.)
60-70 : This is fine
70-80: Really Good (this is where Sam Howell, Brennan Armstrong, and Devin Leary were this year)
80-90: You're getting drafted, probably in an early round. 2021 Heisman territory (Hartman, Van Dyke, Pickett, Cunningham)
90-100: Did not happen this year. Mac Jones and Justin Fields last year.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I feel like a chump for posting this

ESPN 2021 ACC QBR: https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/group/1
Jeff Sims: 53.1

ESPN 2020 ACC QBR: https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/season/2020/group/1
Jeff Sims: 43.7

He didn't play UGA either year. 2020 was a weird year, but a naive interpretation is that he got better.

Before you say "well, he didn't play anybody", the QBRs are weighted based on competition. So, who you played is factored into the score.

It doesn't adjust for how well the rest of your offense played, so if you were getting sacked left and right, your QBR suffers. Life is not fair.

There's no "grade" associated with the ratings, but for argument's sake
< 50 : This is bad
50-60 : Unless your defense rocks, you aren't winning here. (Sims, Burmeister, etc.)
60-70 : This is fine
70-80: Really Good (this is where Sam Howell, Brennan Armstrong, and Devin Leary were this year)
80-90: You're getting drafted, probably in an early round. 2021 Heisman territory (Hartman, Van Dyke, Pickett, Cunningham)
90-100: Did not happen this year. Mac Jones and Justin Fields last year.
A slug maybe, but you're no chump.....
This feels about right. Seemingly Sims improved, just not as much as we'd all have liked. We'll see if CCL helps him make the next step.