GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%. 6-1 270lb OL recruited by the previous regime will never be able to effectively block 6-4 320lb DTs and 6-5 285lb DEs. It takes several recruiting cycles to recruit the size and develop OL needed to complete.
I do for you:

KENNY COOPER
6-3 325

CONNOR HANSEN
6-2 314

MIKEY MINIHAN
6-3 300

SCOTT MORGAN
6-4 302

MICHAEL MAYE
6-3 317

AUSTIN SMITH
6-3 308

CHARLIE CLARK
6-4 305

ZACH QUINNEY
6-6 315

MATTHEW MORGAN
6-4 328

JACK DEFOOR
6-4 310

WILLIAM LAY III
6-2 313

KEVIN WOLF
6-3 303

I stopped there

Avg height: 6-3.4
Avg weight: 311.7 lbs

So we can agree you are wrong and reaching in an effort to take blame away from the real problem.

Edit: someone please help me take out the transfers that came in after Collins arrived, I accidentally added them. The result doesn't change much.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
What does mentioning OL from the past have to do with the current roster? 1st and 2nd year recruits are not ready to block Jr/Sr players that have been in a strength and conditioning program for 4 to 5 years. It take size and skill and we don't have it yet. Why can't you understand that aspect of both OL and DL play? If you think that is possible, you don't comprehend basic football.

Ryan Johnson, Devin Cochran, Southers, quinney, cooper, etc weren’t first or second year guys. So must be more of a coaching problem.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I do for you:

KENNY COOPER
6-3 325

CONNOR HANSEN
6-2 314

MIKEY MINIHAN
6-3 300

SCOTT MORGAN
6-4 302

MICHAEL MAYE
6-3 317

AUSTIN SMITH
6-3 308

CHARLIE CLARK
6-4 305

ZACH QUINNEY
6-6 315

MATTHEW MORGAN
6-4 328

JACK DEFOOR
6-4 310

WILLIAM LAY III
6-2 313

KEVIN WOLF
6-3 303

I stopped there

So we can agree you are wrong and reaching in an effort to take blame away from the real problem.
How many of those you quoted are starters, effective players.
None. Those are over quoted sizes and weights. This year's starters
Lt 6-6 317
Rg. Walkon 6-2 300 listed (more like 6-1 285 or a fr 6-2 300 maybe)
C. 6-2'300 same 6-1:285
Rg 6-3 305 played very poorly
Rt 6-6 330 needs to lose weight and gain quickness.
Again backups? All youth and Fr or So.
When you starting QB is 6-3 and he is taller than the interior OL, there is a problem.. we are noticeable smaller than the other teams.

We can agree you don't know interior line play.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
How many of those you quoted are starters, effective players.
None. Those are over quoted sizes and weights. This year's starters
Lt 6-6 317
Rg. Walkon 6-2 300 listed (more like 6-1 285 or a fr 6-2 300 maybe)
C. 6-2'300 same 6-1:285
Rg 6-3 305 played very poorly
Rt 6-6 330 needs to lose weight and gain quickness.
Again backups? All youth and Fr or So.
When you starting QB is 6-3 and he is taller than the interior OL, there is a problem.. we are noticeable smaller than the other teams.

We can agree you don't know interior line play.
This post is called moving the goal posts.

I promise you they would perform much better under proper coaching. Also why don't you tell Shaq Mason he's too short/light.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I do for you:

KENNY COOPER
6-3 325

CONNOR HANSEN
6-2 314

MIKEY MINIHAN
6-3 300

SCOTT MORGAN
6-4 302

MICHAEL MAYE
6-3 317

AUSTIN SMITH
6-3 308

CHARLIE CLARK
6-4 305

ZACH QUINNEY
6-6 315

MATTHEW MORGAN
6-4 328

JACK DEFOOR
6-4 310

WILLIAM LAY III
6-2 313

KEVIN WOLF
6-3 303

I stopped there

Edit: someone please help me take out the transfers that came in after Collins arrived, I accidentally added them. The result doesn't change much.
Looks like just Jack DEFOOR?

If so
avg height: 6-3.36
Avg weight: 311.8 lbs

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Extraordinary circumstances when all your linemen are young. It was necessary here because the triple option offensive linemen had to be smaller and quicker to cut block. Shorter was better so a lineman can get in to the defenders’ legs.

On the defensive side of the ball, not many pro prospective young men would want to practice everyday with linemen diving for their knees. A potential pro career could easily be ended practicing against the triple option blocking technique.
It was a complete do-over for both sides of the ball. Obviously no one strikes “old gold“ on every recruit. Therefore the pipeline had to be loaded again to get it full. If you are relying on freshmen and sophomores to fill your line, either side, you are delusional. A senior is a grown man. Freshmen and sophomore linemen are infants moving in to the toddler stage. BIGTIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS NOT MADDEN PLUG AND PLAY!!!!!!! IT TAKES TIME and PROPER DEVELOPMENT. Hopefully the right mix is congealing. Stansbury is betting on it.
The first time I ever heard that a defensive lineman would not want to practice against our offensive lineman was not from recruits but from rival coaches. I always wondered if recruits heard that so much from opposing coaches that it became self fulfilling. If so it would have been a shock to them to discover while practicing at a different school that they still had to face cut blocking. As CPJ used to say every team uses cut blocking.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This was a post I made in 2019
Post in thread 'Virginia Tech Postgame'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/virginia-tech-postgame.20359/post-659423

In 2019 our starting OL averaged 305 pounds.

Also I made this post comparing the (eligible) returning offensive line players for the cpj transition and the Collins transition
Post in thread 'Apples and Oranges'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/apples-and-oranges.20001/post-645966

The problem with the line was the total number of returning, not the actual size or star ratings. As can be seen, the average height is only one inch lower and average weight is only 3 pounds less with a higher overall star rating of the line Collins inherited. Still a rough situation with only 14 players (some of which didn’t return) along with no recruits that year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shamire was so big they sent him to weight loss school - great kids but he snacked his nfl career.

Still he was a great kid.

2014 run...last half of the season, Shamire was probably as dominant as I've ever seen any GT OL. Go back and watch the tape against FSU when he went against multiple future NFL DL. Absolutely owned them.

Shamire was a gentle giant. Really wished he understood the potential he had in that giant body of his.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
With Brent Key heading to Florida it will be interesting to see who Long brings in for the OL and if his philosophy is different than just try to recruit the biggest person possible up front.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
2014 run...last half of the season, Shamire was probably as dominant as I've ever seen any GT OL. Go back and watch the tape against FSU when he went against multiple future NFL DL. Absolutely owned them.

Shamire was a gentle giant. Really wished he understood the potential he had in that giant body of his.
Shaq Mason was the dominant OL in 14. We ran behind him every play in the back half of the season. Shamire took over in 15 and struggled at RG; then played well in 16.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shaq Mason was the dominant OL in 14. We ran behind him every play in the back half of the season. Shamire took over in 15 and struggled at RG; then played well in 16.

Watch the tape. I didn't say Mason wasn't good. Mason was Mason...outstanding. I'm saying Shamire played VERY VERY well. That run was the best Shamire ever played for us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
With Brent Key heading to Florida it will be interesting to see who Long brings in for the OL and if his philosophy is different than just try to recruit the biggest person possible up front.
Key is going to Florida? I don’t check this site for several hours and this is what you let happen!!

I don’t understand. Key said Tech would be the easiest place to recruit for of any place he could go. And I thought he was a Tech man.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Key is going to Florida? I don’t check this site for several hours and this is what you let happen!!

I don’t understand. Key said Tech would be the easiest place to recruit for of any place he could go. And I thought he was a Tech man.
No one, including the current assistants who have been with CGC for 3 years, believe this is going anywhere. I could be wrong, but I think he will leave, and honestly, I’m ok with that.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
No one, including the current assistants who have been with CGC for 3 years, believe this is going anywhere. I could be wrong, but I think he will leave, and honestly, I’m ok with that.
I am too. Also sort of tired of looking for “tech men” to coach. Need some new blood. Key was really bad at UCF and I was surprised when we hired him but have been surprised by a number of hires over the past few years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am too. Also sort of tired of looking for “tech men” to coach. Need some new blood. Key was really bad at UCF and I was surprised when we hired him but have been surprised by a number of hires over the past few years.

Key was fine at UCF. Saban moved a good coach off the OL to bring in Key. Key just may be one of those coaches who does better when he has the talent, but struggles when he has to bring in his own talent. That happens a lot.

That said, Key definitely has not lived up to all the big talk he had when he first came in, and the OL isn't near where you expect with a coach of his reputation. IF Key leaves, GT will be fine.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Key was fine at UCF. Saban moved a good coach off the OL to bring in Key. Key just may be one of those coaches who does better when he has the talent, but struggles when he has to bring in his own talent. That happens a lot.

That said, Key definitely has not lived up to all the big talk he had when he first came in, and the OL isn't near where you expect with a coach of his reputation. IF Key leaves, GT will be fine.
If he leaves I am worried about our OL recruits and rumored OL transfers, hope we can hang onto them