GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I will repeat this again. Almost every football coach I have spoken to said we were going to be 4-5 years developing an OL to do what we are doing. I trust coaches a whole lot more than message board warriors. They usually know more about football than we do.
This is just wrong. 4-5 years? In college football where you can only stay at a school for five years? How does that make any sense? Sounds like we are getting one to two solid OL developed per year.

This is a terrible argument. I’m sure you’ll call me arrogant, but I’m pretty sure if you gave me 4-5 years that I could recruit and develop an OL, and I’m a message board warrior that has never coached football.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why some are still willing to die on the hill of “it takes years to develop offensive linemen.”

There are no excuses left. Everywhere else winning coaches make the transition by year three. We did not get that. If we don’t having a winning season next year it will be clear that blaming the old system was a fig leaf for multiple coaching failures.

I am desperate for this situation to turn around and nothing would make me happier than for CGC to turn the corner with this team. But I have lost all patience with blame placing and excuse making.

Jmonty71

Banned
For what its worth. I have a friend that is a long time Notre Dame fan. He said most the fan base liked Long and was pleased with him. They weren't up in arms, when he left, because they assumed they were getting a better OC. However, he says they didn't and immediately knew they made an error. Again, for what its worth.

LibertyTurns

Banned
On offense, we could have gotten better than we have, but the OL transition has been the albatross around our neck. Not only did Collins start with a roster full of OL recruited with a completely different skill set, but he also didn’t have time to flip or recruit any guys with his preferred attributes in the 2019 class, so he had to wait a year to start developing his own recruits at the position group.
Based on these facts, you’re faced with 2 options- stick with a run heavy offense and blend in passing along the way or try to run schemes your allegedly weak OL is unable to execute. We picked which option? Why was that the smart choice? It just exposed our OC for what he was, but then again the buck doesn’t stop with him. Others had title position to drive us on a different course. Only 1 has been held accountable.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we don't win 6 games, CGC will be gone. Period. He should be winning games next year. For the record, I've never been a CGC fan. Still am not a CGC fan. I do believe in giving people a reasonable chance to succeed, and I have stated from the very beginning that 2022 would be the season where it all had to come together or else. This was based on conversations I had with former players and current HS coaches who realized what we were about to go through.
Right. I definitely agree with this. I think the issue today with the fan base is we expected a more gradual improvement, meaning more than 3 this year. If next hits the 4 year expectations, then we’ll just say we got bad breaks this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why some are still willing to die on the hill of “it takes years to develop offensive linemen.”

There are no excuses left. Everywhere else winning coaches make the transition by year three. We did not get that. If we don’t having a winning season next year it will be clear that blaming the old system was a fig leaf for multiple coaching failures.

I am desperate for this situation to turn around and nothing would make me happier than for CGC to turn the corner with this team. But I have lost all patience with blame placing and excuse making.

With the transfer portal, the issue of "it takes years to develop offensive lineman" doesn't hold water. On top of that, the average recruiting grade for our OLs is higher than CPJ's and Gailey's. Key is also supposed to be one of the best OL coaches in college football. This staff has multiple advantages in developing and bringing in OLs that our previous staffs did not.

The problem is our HC oversold their ability to develop talent and coach them up...and they probably signed guys that didn't meet playing standards. There is no Shaq Mason, Omoregie Uzzie, Parker Braun types that this staff has developed or recruited. Those were guys that became All ACC players in the first 3 years, and played a big role in our OL early in their careers.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
With the transfer portal, the issue of "it takes years to develop offensive lineman" doesn't hold water. On top of that, the average recruiting grade for our OLs is higher than CPJ's and Gailey's. Key is also supposed to be one of the best OL coaches in college football. This staff has multiple advantages in developing and bringing in OLs that our previous staffs did not.

The problem is our HC oversold their ability to develop talent and coach them up...and they probably signed guys that didn't meet playing standards. There is no Shaq Mason, Omoregie Uzzie, Parker Braun types that this staff has developed or recruited. Those were guys that became All ACC players in the first 3 years, and played a big role in our OL early in their careers.
Well put.

I think that sums up my frustration. People will point to the OL as the weak link on this team but to me they have become the scapegoat and are no different than every other position group in terms of slow development. I don’t see any position group that is on schedule or where it should be after 3 years. Seriously, is there one position on offense or defense that is where we would expect it to be? OL is simply emblematic of a team that is painfully slow in developing and a coaching staff that inexplicably has failed at coaching players up.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well put.

I think that sums up my frustration. People will point to the OL as the weak link on this team but to me they have become the scapegoat and are no different than every other position group in terms of slow development. I don’t see any position group that is on schedule or where it should be after 3 years. Seriously, is there one position on offense or defense that is where we would expect it to be? OL is simply emblematic of a team that is painfully slow in developing and a coaching staff that inexplicably has failed at coaching players up.
Next year will be the 3rd for the OL.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well put.

Yes the offensive backfield .................... Opps well it was till .............. well you know

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think it’s the wins and losses as much. I think most GT fans are frustrated because we simply look inept just about every game. Most of us who post here probably watch a lot of college football. I plan my fall Saturdays around the games I want to see which means I often get up early to get my husband/father duties done by noon or 3p depending on when the good games come on. So, yes, while it would be nice to win more than 3 games that isn’t what really chaps my backside. What does is that we make the exact same mistakes every game and often look like the worse team on any given Saturday. The Notre Dame game was a perfect example. Our special teams get exposed on the opening kickoff with our guys just running down the field like 5th graders with no coaching and then the first play from scrimmage we leave a tight end uncovered for a 1st and goal. The last 2 Pitt games were identical. That shouldn’t happen. We knew exactly what they were going to do and we did nothing to change how we defend them. Pickett ran both games like he was Lamar Jackson and had open WR’s both games.

I don’t care how many games we win because I know it often comes down to turnovers, ref calls in the final 5 minutes, and who has it that day. But we should at least look like we’ve been coached and have some discipline. Watching guys false start on 3rd and 2, watching DB’s celebrate after making a routine play, and lining up in shotgun on 1st and goal from the 1 is just silly football that perennial losing programs do. Maybe that is what we are now, but I still hold out hope.

Boren5034

Georgia Tech Fan
There was a nagging feeling among some that even with RBs we were not reaching full potential given what was arguably some of the best talent in the nation congregated in that one group.
It's hard to reach your potential when your OC is running between the tackles on damn near every run call while the OL is a sieve. I liked CDP as a dude. He seemed very approachable during his interviews but his play call and lack of in game adjustments was atrocious.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Well put.

It still feels with how we are lining up these new contracts that CGC is going to get next year and the year after. Essentially they just added on 1.2M in buyouts for assistants with these last two hires.

I'm with a lot of posters above this. I don't care if we lose the same amount just as long as we look better on the field and know what is going on.