GT Helmet History

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I believe a Tech football player designed the interlocking GT. Players voted on it with a competing logo that was also really cool. The interlocking GT on other design was like old fashioned baseball letters on top of each other. If anyone has a copy of it I would love to see it again. I only saw it once in a practice before Budd Carson’s first season.
Who designed the GT is open for debate... we understood Sgt Edgar Hodges, USA (Retired), our grumpy, grinch of a Staff Equipment Manager was the designer. In recent years IIRC an arts designer has come forward claiming he designed it.

Take your pick.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
It’s way off. Also, if you put a GT on a white helmet I prefer the GT to be gold not yellow.
Also, aren’t those helmets in the photo like those tiny finger helmets? Colors prob hard to match (go figure). That lighter shade gold one reminds me of early 90s.

Also, a lot of y’all may or may not know this, but the GT logo you see on everything IS NOT the same GT that’s on the side of the helmet. They’re slightly different. The only time I think the reg GT has been on a helmet was when we did the BlackWatch throwback a couple years ago.

Only two of the helmets in the original post on this thread had the correct helmet GT. Can you spot them?

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, aren’t those helmets in the photo like those tiny finger helmets? Colors prob hard to match (go figure). That lighter shade gold one reminds me of early 90s.

Also, a lot of y’all may or may not know this, but the GT logo you see on everything IS NOT the same GT that’s on the side of the helmet. They’re slightly different. The only time I think the reg GT has been on a helmet was when we did the BlackWatch throwback a couple years ago.

Only two of the helmets in the original post on this thread had the correct helmet GT. Can you spot them?

This has always bothered me because the GT logo on the helmet looks so much better, classier, cleaner, better proportioned, than the standard GT logo on everything else.

The inconsistency is jarring, but I'll take the current situation over screwing up the logo on our helmets.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 61

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I wish I had a picture of a helmet my best friend had in the mid 60’s. His oldest sister married a guy that worked at Tech and gave him a helmet. White with interlocking GT. QB type face mask, and gold stripe down the middle. Don’t know if it was practice or game helmet, but they were getting rid of them.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer

We should hire Todd Stansbury back and get this corrected. After all he did get us our correct Tech gold...right? :gt: :oops:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Another variant we wore in 1969-1971 for the cold or rainy weather games.....

Jack Williams didn't get to Brent Cunningham quick enough, so he's following
Scooter behind Joe Vitunic's (#63) block vs Duke in 1969.....
View attachment 6668

these are also the ones worn in the famous shot of Jack scoring vs Ugag in 1969
View attachment 6669
Those unis are beautiful. If we had those, we would have a gold color that NO other team has, and I would love it, but I guess it will never happen. Old Gold made us special from a uniform standpoint.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I wish I had a picture of a helmet my best friend had in the mid 60’s. His oldest sister married a guy that worked at Tech and gave him a helmet. White with interlocking GT. QB type face mask, and gold stripe down the middle. Don’t know if it was practice or game helmet, but they were getting rid of them.
Most likely a prototype... single gold stripe down the middle, I dare say, has never been part of the GT uni set.

Or possibly a kid's item from The Crest Shop/Tech Shop or maybe The Robbery.

1699718336192.png

Source: http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
At least by '52....... not much available from the years preceding.
The caption calls the kick a FG.... we won 7-6, so it must've been a PAT.

Poss 1950

Possibly 1951, the year Wheat was the Captain

View attachment 15090
From the 1952 team...do you know if Skin Edge was from the Newnan or the LaGrange area?

Dave Redford may have been my youth baseball coach for a few years in Dekalb Co in the very late 60's. I never knew he went to GT.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Those uni’s are my favorite, i love that shade of gold jersey and the white helmet with gold and navy stripes

Keep posting the pictures and memories, they are awesome!
Interesting how we all have different tastes. Those uniforms were my least favorite. I was thrilled when we went back to the Gold-White-Gold combo in 1972 if I recall correctly the year

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Interesting how we all have different tastes. Those uniforms were my least favorite. I was thrilled when we went back to the Gold-White-Gold combo in 1972 if I recall correctly the year
We didn't like 'em, either. We all wanted the classic Dodd uni, but that was the very reason Carson hated 'em. Was shocked with how popular they were when Calvin & Co. wore 'em.

You're right - 1972 was when Fulcher changed 'em back with a few slight differences, most notably the fewer real stripes on the sleeves.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Time for my annual report on personal uniform preferences. We should have 3 and only 3.

Gold - White - Gold
…..classic version with gt on no stripe helmet

White - Mustard - White
….yep, the Bud Carson version

Gold - Blue - White
….National Championship version

These should be used thoughtfully and judiciously. Numerals and stripes should be deep navy blue, no black.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Time for my annual report on personal uniform preferences. We should have 3 and only 3.

Gold - White - Gold
…..classic version with gt on no stripe helmet

White - Mustard - White
….yep, the Bud Carson version

Gold - Blue - White
….National Championship version

These should be used thoughtfully and judiciously. Numerals and stripes should be deep navy blue, no black.
Never use the Carson era Mustard gold - butt ugly!