GT Helmet History

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Mustard? Not so much in 1968.... from the opening game vs TCU... and if you're keeping score at home, that's John Weaver (#44), (Dr.) Bo Burke - Senior Student Trainer, Terry Story (#79), Larry Good (#10), Billy Kidd (#55), Joel Stevenson (#89), and John Sias (#21) leading 'em out.
View attachment 6665

or 1969 - 1971..... we'd worn these in '70 all year, so they look a bit faded out.... still have mine BTW
Buck Shiver (#94), Dave Beavin (#36), and Bill Flowers (#53) stopping Doug McCutcheon in the Sun Bowl

View attachment 6666

What the ones they gave us as bowl gifts after the '71 season
View attachment 6667

Love these

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Another variant we wore in 1969-1971 for the cold or rainy weather games.....

Jack Williams didn't get to Brent Cunningham quick enough, so he's following
Scooter behind Joe Vitunic's (#63) block vs Duke in 1969.....
GT1970 Duke Game Williams & Cunningham.jpg

these are also the ones worn in the famous shot of Jack scoring vs Ugag in 1969
upload_2019-9-12_9-51-16.png

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Another variant we wore in 1969-1971 for the cold or rainy weather games.....

Jack Williams didn't get to Brent Cunningham quick enough, so he's following
Scooter behind Joe Vitunic's (#63) block vs Duke in 1969.....
View attachment 6668

these are also the ones worn in the famous shot of Jack scoring vs Ugag in 1969
View attachment 6669
Those uni’s are my favorite, i love that shade of gold jersey and the white helmet with gold and navy stripes

Keep posting the pictures and memories, they are awesome!

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Fulcher's uni's, if they used blue as an accent color, used a very, very dark blue. Should see a coupla team mates that played on that '72 team & will ask.

One correction to my post above re: the uni's & Jack Williams..... upon further review by my 70 YO eyes, those are two different jerseys. The ones worn against Duke were perforated like my 1971 jersey, but heavier, & had numbers on the shoulders.

The ones worn vs Ugag were doubleknits with numbers down on the sleeves & were saved for late November games, usually the Domers & Ugag.

They were. Did not go to blue until fulcher.

Imo, the Gold shirts looked so much better with White #s. Dark #s on Gold look - bleeech.

The biggest problem with the black #s on gold jerseys came in the B&W film that was used. Trying to read numbers when grading film was tough with that combination.

Dobeedobeedo

Georgia Tech Fan
It was in 1967, Carson’s first year. He had reverted back to the Gold hats I believe after dodd’s Last 2 teams had gone to White. But before Carson also transitioned back to White hats with Gold shirts and White pants. Got it :)?

In 1968 Carson also had the GT logo on the jersey sleeve.
I must have the ‘67. A very used, missing face guard, old gold hat given to me as a Freshman in 1968 by my Cloudman RA. He was on the ‘68 team and also a pentathlon/decathalon track team member. Can’t recall his name now but he was a good Tech man.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No, I meant the stars
The star used to be the symbol on old maps for the capital of a state. Tech = Atlanta = Capital = star athletes….and I think it just kind of evolved.

About the same time, Dooley was asking Greenbay if they could use the G inside the football logo. Both schools realized that they wanted something on side of the helmet. I believe a Tech football player designed the interlocking GT. Players voted on it with a competing logo that was also really cool. The interlocking GT on other design was like old fashioned baseball letters on top of each other. If anyone has a copy of it I would love to see it again. I only saw it once in a practice before Budd Carson’s first season.