GT Helmet History

herb

Helluva Engineer
0251168F-F056-4F68-ADF6-33C223CDDFA2.jpeg
And the stars in the graphic are waaaay too big for what they actually were.... refer to page 349 of Clean Old Fashioned Hate to see one of the 1966 helmets with a star .

Here are some photos from the Blueprint. Some helmets have two stars, some one, some none. I had never seen those before

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I haven't seen any photos from the 40s that indicate we ever wore blue or black helmets.

There was a time in the 40's/50's when eligible receivers would sometimes wear a different color helmet than the rest of the team. Found this article a few years back and thought it interesting. Might explain the blue helmet. (Note that while the article is specific to Auburn, it highlights a forgotten period of football uniform history)

http://www.warblogle.com/2012/02/22/football/blue-helmets-and-orange-helmets-it-happened-in-1950/

There was a time in the 40's/50's when eligible receivers would sometimes wear a different color helmet than the rest of the team. Found this article a few years back and thought it interesting. Might explain the blue helmet. (Note that while the article is specific to Auburn, it highlights a forgotten period of football uniform history)

http://www.warblogle.com/2012/02/22/football/blue-helmets-and-orange-helmets-it-happened-in-1950/
WOW. Never heard of anything like that before. Don't think it would be allowed today.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know the first year we used the GT on the side. Was it on white or gold helmet?

It was in 1967, Carson’s first year. He had reverted back to the Gold hats I believe after dodd’s Last 2 teams had gone to White. But before Carson also transitioned back to White hats with Gold shirts and White pants. Got it :)?

In 1968 Carson also had the GT logo on the jersey sleeve.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It was in 1967, Carson’s first year. He had reverted back to the Gold hats I believe after dodd’s Last 2 teams had gone to White. But before Carson also transitioned back to White hats with Gold shirts and White pants. Got it :)?

In 1968 Carson also had the GT logo on the jersey sleeve.
Thanks. I remember back in the late 60’s or early 70’s seeing a white helmet similar to the Calvin throwbacks. All I knew at the time was the gold ones.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Really it was mustard yellow from 1968-1971;)

Mustard? Not so much in 1968.... from the opening game vs TCU... and if you're keeping score at home, that's John Weaver (#44), (Dr.) Bo Burke - Senior Student Trainer, Terry Story (#79), Larry Good (#10), Billy Kidd (#55), Joel Stevenson (#89), and John Sias (#21) leading 'em out.
upload_2019-9-12_7-45-22.jpeg

or 1969 - 1971..... we'd worn these in '70 all year, so they look a bit faded out.... still have mine BTW
Buck Shiver (#94), Dave Beavin (#36), and Bill Flowers (#53) stopping Doug McCutcheon in the Sun Bowl

upload_2019-9-12_7-47-18.jpeg

What the ones they gave us as bowl gifts after the '71 season
upload_2019-9-12_7-49-19.jpeg