GT Getting Attention From Coastal GA Media

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They actually do, but it's more a function that MSU is about the size of UGA and has that size alumni base. Plus, they are in the same conference as Michigan.
But, as I understand it, Michigan still gets top billing when it comes to press coverage. The distribution of fans is overwhelmingly big blue.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
There's not another Power 5 Head Coach in America that does less than Mark Richt. He has no problem recruiting Top 10 Classes, yet when's the last time he's won a Division or SEC Championship much less actually challenged for a National Championship once the end of the season shook out and they laid their eggs?

While Georgia hasn't won an SEC title in 10 years, Richt has won or tied for first in the East six times, the last coming in 2012 when they lost the SECCG to Bama. He's got nine 10 win seasons at Georgia.
After Richt won his last SEC title in 05, the SEC has seven straight national champions. None named Georgia, of course. But I still find it funny when Georgia fans get their pullups in a wad and want to run him off. They won't get better than what he's done.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that historically Vandy has been horrible. Pitt has been horrible, IU has been horrible. Over the past almost 20 years Tech has not been horrible. Consecutive bowl streak etc. I don't blame the media for ignoring horrible teams....my problem is the discrepancy between Tech's on the field performance and the amount of positive coverage.

An example....680 (our flagship) had Barnhart on this afternoon. While Tulane is not an attractive matchup, Tech was not even mentioned in the weekend preview. Dwags Vandy was discussed....even Penn State and Mich St
But a top 15 team down the street? Nary a word.

I don't argue that Vandy and IU are historically bad. But Pitt? Tony Dorsett, Hugh Green, Dan Marino and Johnny Majors might want to have a word. They had a 10 win season six years ago. They won a national championship in 76 and 22-2 in 79-80. They're 19th all time in wins. They had a bowl drought from 2004-09 and a really bad one for about eight years in the 90s. But there's a lot of tradition in that program.

Over the past 20 years, we've had three 10 win seasons and let's face it, the mediocrity of the Gailey era hasn't been easy to shake on a national and even local perception. We only had one nine-win season during Gailey's tenure, and the four years before last season's 11 wins and Orange Bowl beatdown of Missy State really didn't help either.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I'm not worried about their defense at all, either, but that's more on us (I have confidence in our O to move the ball and score points on ANYONE).

It's heavy in OLB types. Unless the Thompson kid can flat own the GCG by himself, that last Saturday in November might be a lot of zone and belly. They could get a big ole dose of Skov all day long.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
But, as I understand it, Michigan still gets top billing when it comes to press coverage. The distribution of fans is overwhelmingly big blue.

I spent a lot of time in Michigan. West of Detroit, MSU gets top billing, but even in Detroit, they are covered well. It's a 50,000 student school with half of a million living alumni, probably around half live in Michigan. That's too big of a base to ignore.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I spent a lot of time in Michigan. West of Detroit, MSU gets top billing, but even in Detroit, they are covered well. It's a 50,000 student school with half of a million living alumni, probably around half live in Michigan. That's too big of a base to ignore.
I guess my point was that a school with that large of an alumni base should get MORE coverage than they do. My wife grew up in Detroit (loved the Free Press) and became a State fan because she got tired of everyone she knew pulling for Michigan. Her perception was that it was not balanced and I always trust my wife. :)

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess my point was that a school with that large of an alumni base should get MORE coverage than they do. My wife grew up in Detroit (loved the Free Press) and became a State fan because she got tired of everyone she knew pulling for Michigan. Her perception was that it was not balanced and I always trust my wife. :)

My sister lives in Detroit. Michigan was my territory and so I usually flew into Lansing and hit Grand Rapids and Detroit. In Detroit, it is decidedly Big Blue, but through the rest of the state, it is more balanced. Georgia Tech gets screwed because we aren't the flagship school, smallish alumni base, and there are four BCS schools in the state. In Minnesota, it's much simpler, they don't allow every school to sink money into football programs they can't afford.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
While Georgia hasn't won an SEC title in 10 years, Richt has won or tied for first in the East six times, the last coming in 2012 when they lost the SECCG to Bama. He's got nine 10 win seasons at Georgia.
After Richt won his last SEC title in 05, the SEC has seven straight national champions. None named Georgia, of course. But I still find it funny when Georgia fans get their pullups in a wad and want to run him off. They won't get better than what he's done.

If Richt had coached against Spurrier in his heyday at Florida (like Goff and Donnan had to) then he would have been run off just like them long ago

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It's heavy in OLB types. Unless the Thompson kid can flat own the GCG by himself, that last Saturday in November might be a lot of zone and belly. They could get a big ole dose of Skov all day long.

Thats asking a lot out of a true freshman DT

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting what with the lack of coverage in the ATL for GT sports. Watching that special about Tech's NC season,some of the players then talked about the lack of press that Tech didn't receive vs what ugag received for a so-so season. As long as themedia is controlled by Cox Enterprises, the owners of channel 2 and the AJC , also throw in 680, who I do believe is owned by a ugag guy, we will always be slighted. The big dog always getsto eat.

I don't argue that Vandy and IU are historically bad. But Pitt? Tony Dorsett, Hugh Green, Dan Marino and Johnny Majors might want to have a word. They had a 10 win season six years ago. They won a national championship in 76 and 22-2 in 79-80. They're 19th all time in wins. They had a bowl drought from 2004-09 and a really bad one for about eight years in the 90s. But there's a lot of tradition in that program.

Over the past 20 years, we've had three 10 win seasons and let's face it, the mediocrity of the Gailey era hasn't been easy to shake on a national and even local perception. We only had one nine-win season during Gailey's tenure, and the four years before last season's 11 wins and Orange Bowl beatdown of Missy State really didn't help either.
Don't forget #8 Pitt beat the #2 mutts in the 1982 Sugar Bowl. They deserve a place in football heaven for that....lol

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The main thing that bothers me about radio and stuff is by saying "Atlanta is prime UGA Territory" like excuse you. Go about 1.5-2 hours east for that.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
It is ridiculous. I listened to 680 on the way home yesterday, and Chuck Oliver was on there saying that GT needed USC to lose to Kentucky this weekend in order for Tech to get coverage next week. He emphasized this over and over, that the only way Tech's top 15 matchup next week could be covered would be if USC lost in order for the matchup with UGA to not look as good. I couldn't believe what I was listening too. We may get college gameday next week, but apparently that matchup isn't good enough to be covered by our own local media. It's a shame.

It is ridiculous. I listened to 680 on the way home yesterday, and Chuck Oliver was on there saying that GT needed USC to lose to Kentucky this weekend in order for Tech to get coverage next week. He emphasized this over and over, that the only way Tech's top 15 matchup next week could be covered would be if USC lost in order for the matchup with UGA to not look as good. I couldn't believe what I was listening too. We may get college gameday next week, but apparently that matchup isn't good enough to be covered by our own local media. It's a shame.
A game with national implications and interest (ours) is less important than a regional matchup in the SEC Least, huh? TYPICAL !!!