GT Getting Attention From Coastal GA Media

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
There's not another Power 5 Head Coach in America that does less than Mark Richt. He has no problem recruiting Top 10 Classes, yet when's the last time he's won a Division or SEC Championship much less actually challenged for a National Championship once the end of the season shook out and they laid their eggs?

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I work with two Auburn grads that swear they feel our pain. Alabama/Auburn with the Walmart crowd and barefoot bumpkins screaming Alabama at the top of their lungs. They say the papers follow the crowd.

Papers should "follow" the crowd if they want to stay in business. If I owned a company and had to choose, I would rather anger Tech fans than dwag fans simply because of the numbers. It is a myth that reporters are all objective, they are doing business. Hopefully we will do well enough to engender increasing positive press but don't think that courting Ugag readers will be any less important to Ga sports writers. They don't want to lose any of their audience.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
except auburn is just as walmart barefoot bumpkin as alabama is.
Not going to agree with this one. If you are born in the state of Al, you are a Al fan unless you are a relative of someone who actually attended Auburn or you did. More toothless wonders with multiple elephant flags on the power stroke diesel are found at Walmart.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I have long maintained that there is not another program in the country that has a bigger discrepancy between its performance on the field and the amount of "love" or coverage it receives from its local and especially state media.

If someone can point out a program that gets it worse in its home state than Tech does, I would be interested to hear it.

Stinger beat me to Vandy. Tulane is another but they are wretched. Aubie has a gripe but not nearly on par with us; media is slanted there but coverage is nearly 50/50. Maybe Pitt with Penn St. Indiana with ND. Prolly others too.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Stinger beat me to Vandy. Tulane is another but they are wretched. Aubie has a gripe but not nearly on par with us; media is slanted there but coverage is nearly 50/50. Maybe Pitt with Penn St. Indiana with ND. Prolly others too.

The problem is that historically Vandy has been horrible. Pitt has been horrible, IU has been horrible. Over the past almost 20 years Tech has not been horrible. Consecutive bowl streak etc. I don't blame the media for ignoring horrible teams....my problem is the discrepancy between Tech's on the field performance and the amount of positive coverage.

An example....680 (our flagship) had Barnhart on this afternoon. While Tulane is not an attractive matchup, Tech was not even mentioned in the weekend preview. Dwags Vandy was discussed....even Penn State and Mich St
But a top 15 team down the street? Nary a word.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The problem is that historically Vandy has been horrible. Pitt has been horrible, IU has been horrible. Over the past almost 20 years Tech has not been horrible. Consecutive bowl streak etc. I don't blame the media for ignoring horrible teams....my problem is the discrepancy between Tech's on the field performance and the amount of positive coverage.

An example....680 (our flagship) had Barnhart on this afternoon. While Tulane is not an attractive matchup, Tech was not even mentioned in the weekend preview. Dwags Vandy was discussed....even Penn State and Mich St
But a top 15 team down the street? Nary a word.

I get your point, and I don't disagree. ... But, saying, "historically ... Pitt has been horrible" has made me feel a mixture of old and sad.

... the sad part comes from "last 20 years" being used as a gloss for "historically"

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I get your point, and I don't disagree. ... But, saying, "historically ... Pitt has been horrible" has made me feel a mixture of old and sad.

... the sad part comes from "last 20 years" being used as a gloss for "historically"
Trust me as a 40 year Tech fan, I understand, but it seems the media's memory is very short. In fact, I think 20 years is ancient history to them.

As someone who suffered through the 1-9-1 and 1-10 seasons, I can understand your frustration . I remember how thrilled I was with 6-5 in 1982.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Trust me as a 40 year Tech fan, I understand, but it seems the media's memory is very short. In fact, I think 20 years is ancient history to them.

As someone who suffered through the 1-9-1 and 1-10 seasons, I can understand your frustration . I remember how thrilled I was with 6-5 in 1982.

I was at those games!

Papers should "follow" the crowd if they want to stay in business. If I owned a company and had to choose, I would rather anger Tech fans than dwag fans simply because of the numbers. It is a myth that reporters are all objective, they are doing business. Hopefully we will do well enough to engender increasing positive press but don't think that courting Ugag readers will be any less important to Ga sports writers. They don't want to lose any of their audience.
But why not broaden the audience by appealing more to the rival fans as well. Do both; just don't give everything to one and nothing to the other.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
But why not broaden the audience by appealing more to the rival fans as well. Do both; just don't give everything to one and nothing to the other.

There is not enough time/space to cover everything so choices must be made. It's like ESPN and the SEC, they have a financial investment in the SEC so there will be a "bias" toward it. Writers whose readers are largely dwag fans know where their "bread is buttered" as well. Success and great story lines can lead to much more coverage but I would be shocked if the tables ever really turn.