GT Getting Attention From Coastal GA Media

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The centerpiece of today's Savannah Morning News was a story on a UAB transfer playing for ... the Mutts. With a big picture of the crowd at Sanford Stadium to go with the story (curious choice - there wasn't a picture of the guy playing at all. Just a big crowd shot). Almost threw up my chicken Italiano from Baldino's while seeing it.

The centerpiece of today's Savannah Morning News was a story on a UAB transfer playing for ... the Mutts. With a big picture of the crowd at Sanford Stadium to go with the story (curious choice - there wasn't a picture of the guy playing at all. Just a big crowd shot). Almost threw up my chicken Italiano from Baldino's while seeing it.
It's worse in Augusta, believe me.

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow

yes uab transfer so much bigger news than stanford transfer Patrick Scov Im just waiting how they are going to justify N Chubb as heisman over MM and JT what bs that is going to be

yes uab transfer so much bigger news than stanford transfer Patrick Scov Im just waiting how they are going to justify N Chubb as heisman over MM and JT what bs that is going to be
Well, you know that's what's going to happen. The media in this state are consumed with anything and everything that happens in Athens.....except, of course, for things that put them in a bad light.

I love Georgia Tech, but let's not compare Nick Chubb to anyone in white and gold. Skov and Marshall are good. Justin is outstanding, but Chubb is a bona fide superstar. Our corralling of him in the second half last year was as great an accomplishment as that 53 yard field goal.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Just watched some of the UGA-ULM game last night, and I am not really that impressed with them to be honest. Yes, they have good skill position guys and OL, which will probably get them to 8-9 wins, but I have pretty low confidence in their QB and OC. We all saw how Lambert played at UVA...no way that was all on his surrounding talent. Dude is just an average QB at best. As for the OC, he looks like just another generic "pro-style" guy, no imagination or creativity. I'm not worried about their defense at all, either, but that's more on us (I have confidence in our O to move the ball and score points on ANYONE).

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I love Georgia Tech, but let's not compare Nick Chubb to anyone in white and gold. Skov and Marshall are good. Justin is outstanding, but Chubb is a bona fide superstar. Our corralling of him in the second half last year was as great an accomplishment as that 53 yard field goal.

Come on now...he's a very good back. Probably NFL caliber...but I think Marshall might be in that same group. Perhaps you're thinking about Gurley...on that one I would have agreed. I don't think anyone in the country had a guy that good.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Come on now...he's a very good back. Probably NFL caliber...but I think Marshall might be in that same group. Perhaps you're thinking about Gurley...on that one I would have agreed. I don't think anyone in the country had a guy that good.
I'm gonna agree with you on that. Gurley was a much more special talent than Chubb seems to be. Chubb is more of a FB with more quick twitch muscles.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Chubb is really good, no doubt about that. We don't really need to downplay him. He had a cut on one run where he ran up the middle and stopped on a dime to avoid a tackle before cutting out left...ridiculous change of direction for a guy his size. However, I think we just might have a pretty solid D this year. DJ White and Chris Milton are both very good corners, and physical at the point of attack. Our DTs are possibly the most athletic pair in the nation. KeShun and PJ are both very disruptive in the backfield. We have the pieces on D to contain him (at least a bit), and we have the O to put pressure on them to keep up. If we get a lead, they won't be able to just handoff to Chubb all day.

slugboy

Staff member
Since we've strolled off topic, per Bovada, Chubb's Heisman odds were 10-1 in July (listed on CBS Sports). He'll have a hard time beating someone from Ohio State if the first game is any indication. Seems like he'd easily be NFL caliber if he's considered one of the top ten athletes in college football.

JT was 40-1. Very good for a Tech player, I'd say.

More great play at GT from players from that area should mean more fans and good coverage. I think it'll happen.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have long maintained that there is not another program in the country that has a bigger discrepancy between its performance on the field and the amount of "love" or coverage it receives from its local and especially state media.

If someone can point out a program that gets it worse in its home state than Tech does, I would be interested to hear it.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Does Coastal GA usually treat Tech like North Georgia does?

They think Tech is a Technical college in North GA

Yeah, pretty much. The SMN, since it has a sister paper in Athens (and it's in the same chain with Augusta), gets up all the Mutts' butt, but they're usually at least decent with Tech coverage. The TV stations down here sometimes do some headscratching things. Naturally, there is a lot on the Dogs, and on Georgia Southern. But they also slip in South Carolina and Clemson and I've seen USCe and Clemson highlights but no Tech highlights on the weekend. I guess a lot has to do with who is anchoring that night. The main guys get it; the underlings, not so much. Sulkowski, who had the piece with the local kids playing at Tech, is probably the best there is in the area. Good dude, works his tail off, tries to spread the love around. TOC, the CBS affiliate, goes to just about every Georgia home game and they have had 30 minute specials on the Dogs too. They've done likewise for Southern, but they started it with Georgia.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Damn, sucker for the hype machine

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If someone can point out a program that gets it worse in its home state than Tech does, I would be interested to hear it.
Not quite the same, but one could almost feel sorry for Vanderbilt. Even in years they have been a decent team, and years in which they have beaten Tennessee, their own home town newspaper is all Vols stuff.

Likewise, UCLA tends to get overshadowed by USC in the same town. I'm sure there are others.

But I still think Tech may have the biggest grievance of all.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Whats Virginia like with splitting coverage between VaTech and UVA? The other one I can think of is Stanford vs USCw and UCLA.