Film Study GT Def Breakdown vs. Virginia Tech

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Excuse my commentary as it is not the best.

Not one of our better performances. A lot of the same mistakes from wk 1 are continuously being made in week 8. Our angles, fits and physicality should be the focus going into UNC

The DL continue to play well. I really wish these guys had one more yr in CNW system bc they are playing well.

I hope you guys enjoy.

If you want to go back and breakdown the Duke gm, I will do that as well.

slugboy

Staff member
What is going on with the middle linebackers in the first couple of drives?

If I have it right, on the first drive, the outside linebackers came up on the line of scrimmage, so we looked like a 52 instead of a 3-4. The DL slanted to the strong side (to the top of the screen). The weak side LB hesitated, and looked like he was aiming at the edge of the weak side of the line (the last OL at the bottom of the screen). The strong side LB hesitated a lot and looked like he wanted to go around the weak side LB even farther to the bottom of the screen, but he didn't. Both middle linebackers ended up out of the play.

I didn't get to the safeties, but the middle LBs either look like they're supposed to hang back and react, or like they don't know what their assignment is. Going slow is a good way to get yourself blocked.

Sorry if I got the weak and the strong side mixed up. I didn't pause the screen or get a chance to count off who was where. Also might be thinking of the second play instead of the first, since they flipped from each other.

(I don't have time to watch the whole thing, but I'm impressed you put together an hour on this).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Defense wasn’t the problem in the Duke game....

Outside of the first few drives, defense played well enough for us to win. It may actually be one of our better defensive games all year. It's the other side of the ball that coughed up a win against Duke.

EDIT:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401013145

Outside of the barrage of TDs that happened after our offense repeatedly turned the ball over in the 3rd Qtr, I'd take those stat's from the other team all day long.

Deleted member 2897

We gave up 28 and 14 points they only had to go about 40 total yards because of the short fields.

Yup. Of our 4 losses, defense may have been an issue with USF, but when you give up 265 yards of returns on 5 kickoffs and 2 TDs its hard to blame them for all those points and short fields. USF scored on 5 of 12 drives. Not terrible. Clemson was Clemson. Pitt only scored 24 points. Duke was basically 14...21 if you're stingy. But I refuse to especially give the 1st and goal from the 5 starting position to the defense.

So bottom line, looking at our losses, I only can identify 1 game that we would have won had the defense played better...and that one is marginal. If the offense can't score 20 points, I don't put a loss on the defense for that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yup. Of our 4 losses, defense may have been an issue with USF, but when you give up 265 yards of returns on 5 kickoffs and 2 TDs its hard to blame them for all those points and short fields. USF scored on 5 of 12 drives. Not terrible. Clemson was Clemson. Pitt only scored 24 points. Duke was basically 14...21 if you're stingy. But I refuse to especially give the 1st and goal from the 5 starting position to the defense.

So bottom line, looking at our losses, I only can identify 1 game that we would have won had the defense played better...and that one is marginal. If the offense can't score 20 points, I don't put a loss on the defense for that.

Over the last several years, the average points/drive versus power5 opponents has been 2.0 to 2.2. If they had scored on 5 of 12 drives, that would've been 2.92 points/drive. In reality you can't subtract the two run back scores and still count them as drives. USF's O scored TD's on 5 of 10 drives, 3.5 points/drive. That's terrible.

Deleted member 2897

Over the last several years, the average points/drive versus power5 opponents has been 2.0 to 2.2. If they had scored on 5 of 12 drives, that would've been 2.92 points/drive. In reality you can't subtract the two run back scores and still count them as drives. USF's O scored TD's on 5 of 10 drives, 3.5 points/drive. That's terrible.

Hence the reason why that's the 1 game (if any) I could say we would have won had the defense played better.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I was yelling about bad angles at the start of the game. We seem to have a guy in place to make a play but he took a bad angle and VT made a 1st down rather than be short. Hopefully our guys will get better under CNW.

Deleted member 2897

We were fortunate that they had some inexplicable incompletions, where the ball went through the hands of a wide open receiver. The UNC quarterback is really accurate. If we don't get pressure, we could have a long day on D.

They are freaking 1-6. My Lord (not talking to you, just yelling into the sky) if we struggle with UNC it would be like struggling against Alcorn State, Bowling Green, or Louisville.

UNC has:
* Lost to East Carolina 41-19.
* Lost to Miami 47-10.
* Lost to Virginia Tech.
* Scores 23 points per game.
* Gives up 35 points per game.

They score 12 points less than their competition on average. We score 12 points more than our competition on average. Its a perfect match.

With a lower number of possessions playing us, against our below average defense (statistically), I would think they would score somewhere around 23-27 points. If we can't score > 30 points against a team like UNC, then good Lord almighty. I mean we are a top 10 offense statistically according to FEI and S&P+. We HAVE TO score way over 30 points against a team like UNC. The fewest points they've given up is 22 (Virginia Tech), 24 (Cal Berkely), and then 31 (Virginia). They lost ALL THREE.

We really should beat the snot out of them. But if everything ends up blandly average, it would predict something like GT 37-25.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
They are freaking 1-6. My Lord (not talking to you, just yelling into the sky) if we struggle with UNC it would be like struggling against Alcorn State, Bowling Green, or Louisville.

UNC has:
* Lost to Miami 47-10.
* Lost to Virginia Tech.

They score 12 points less than their competition on average. We score 12 points more than our competition on average. Its a perfect match.

With a lower number of possessions playing us, against our below average defense (statistically), I would think they would score somewhere around 23-27 points. If we can't score > 30 points against a team like UNC, then good Lord almighty. I mean we are a top 10 offense statistically according to FEI and S&P+. We HAVE TO score way over 30 points against a team like UNC. The fewest points they've given up is 22 (Virginia Tech), 24 (Cal Berkely), and then 31 (Virginia). They lost ALL THREE.

We really should beat the snot out of them. But if everything ends up blandly average, it would predict something like GT 37-25.

True, but ima side with @AE87 on this. We come out like we did vs. VT, USF, the 1st drive for Duke this will be a track meet and about who don’t make turnovers and i don’t like that scenario.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

UNC has:
* Lost to Miami 47-10.
* Lost to Virginia Tech.

Everything you say is true. I'm just saying that when I watched them play, they had stretches where they looked (to me) a lot better than their stats and their record. It's kind of like watching us play USF and Pitt and knowing that the LOLvl game was possible.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin why do you think the guys keep not filling their gap? The first play we had two LB’s right on top of each other. Is this hero ball or just trying to read plays but getting beat on cut backs ect?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Everything you say is true. I'm just saying that when I watched them play, they had stretches where they looked (to me) a lot better than their stats and their record. It's kind of like watching us play USF and Pitt and knowing that the LOLvl game was possible.
Coach agrees with you as well.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wonder if BJS got in the dog house a little and BM is a hard working charismatic student athlete that people want to keep investing and is team captain.

I think BJS would struggle a little, but with play time experience might be equal or better than BM by now.

Who knows....

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I wonder if BJS got in the dog house a little and BM is a hard working charismatic student athlete that people want to keep investing and is team captain.

I think BJS would struggle a little, but with play time experience might be equal or better than BM by now.

Who knows....

He played Duke and every other game he’s been in there. I not sure what the issue is whether it’s attitude or not