Film Study GT Def Breakdown vs. Virginia Tech

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@Ibeeballin why do you think the guys keep not filling their gap? The first play we had two LB’s right on top of each other. Is this hero ball or just trying to read plays but getting beat on cut backs ect?

Sorry to be critical, but you would have to be a “hero” to play hero ball, meaning there would have to be the occasional play made.

I see 2 LBs that are not instinctual and not trusting their ability. Case in point, the Curry missed tackle. I assume that he believed the RB was that much faster than him that he needed to overpursue and left himself susceptible to the cut back

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We were fortunate that they had some inexplicable incompletions, where the ball went through the hands of a wide open receiver. The UNC quarterback is really accurate. If we don't get pressure, we could have a long day on D.
Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. But, should we give the D credit for being lucky?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to be critical, but you would have to be a “hero” to play hero ball, meaning there would have to be the occasional play made.

I see 2 LBs that are not instinctual and not trusting their ability. Case in point, the Curry missed tackle. I assume that he believed the RB was that much faster than him that he needed to overpursue and left himself susceptible to the cut back
First paragraph
I have to have another helping of crow as I posted many times that Andy mac would coach BM into a great MLB. That has not happened. More hot sauce.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Second Paragraph
Agree about the " seeing the future/ instinctual defenciey being a major problem. A second problem I think I see is a lack of ability(?) to move the pile by TM. He seems to charge into a blocker and then nothing happens- then he is moved backwards as he looks for the runner. Question: could he be "coached" to do the "pelton technique- take on, peak, go" and that's why the pile keeps moving down field which creates bad tackling angles. ????
I know one thing for sure. When 12 swilling hits the pile it goes backwards.

Really appreciate your additions to our blog.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We may need to move Andy Mac and get a new LB coach for next season, someone who fits Woody’s style of play

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Second Paragraph
Agree about the " seeing the future/ instinctual defenciey being a major problem. A second problem I think I see is a lack of ability(?) to move the pile by TM. He seems to charge into a blocker and then nothing happens- then he is moved backwards as he looks for the runner. Question: could he be "coached" to do the "pelton technique- take on, peak, go" and that's why the pile keeps moving down field which creates bad tackling angles. ????
I know one thing for sure. When 12 swilling hits the pile it goes backwards.

He could be peaking for the runner but he’s getting handled by the Oline in the process