GT - Clemson postgame thread

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
yeah man it totally was. IJ was head hunting alot...he would eventually have been flagged too. But the gameplan from snap one was to punish his runs and try to knock him out.

I FREAKING LOVE IT. I said that to myself during the game. You could tell both S were trying to kill him.

Agree.

We came out trying to punish him...got some good knocks on him.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm no expert but to me, the only similarity between AU and us on offense is that we both run the ball a lot and then throw it to make the other team pay when they commit too many guys to stop the run. The schemes are completely different, blocking, formations, plays- everything.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not gonna make a uni thread lol but.....those white helmets n white jerseys with gold pants is growing on me. Team has busted out white hats several times this year. I'm gonna guess all white vs UGA.
Hope we stay with what we played in Saturday. Looks good from the stands and on TV.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Cole Stoudt was the SR QB starter to begin the year.
Clemson had won 4 games in a row with him at QB since Watson was injured.
As CPJ always says the Defense schemed, practiced, and prepared for the "Clemson Offense" and not simply for "player X at QB."
Watson led CU to a 3 and out, a FG on a short field (only needed 51 yards for TD), then starting again at midfield moved the offense 36 yards and injured himself getting tangled on his own legs.
Watson's so-called backup comes in and Golden from fantastic film study and defensive scheming (and instincts/timing) gets the pick six.

I am not buying it that Watson going down was the deciding factor or even worth considering all that much of a factor. It is too speculative. The fact that Watson could gain ground on QB draws early is no guarantee that he was going to "Logan Thomas" the Tech defense for 4 quarters.

Tech's defense came prepared to handle CU's offense and they simply did so.

+99999....

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I loved our defensive play Saturday but to dismiss the loss of Watson as not a big factor in how the game played out is a bit much. Even the players said so in the post game presser. Go listen: http://gtswarm.com/threads/clemson-vs-georgia-tech-postgame-press-conference.4812/

The thing that impressed me the most about our D, and this was even before Watson went out, was how fast and hard hitting they were playing.
Our players were just being polite. I don't have to be polite to the opponent.

6 points is the fewest points CU has scored in a game since Dabo has been the head coach.

Watson is a true freshman who has almost spent more of the year as their backup or injured than starting. I actually got to watch some of the game replay that CU broadcasts using their own radio announcers. Their take on Watson going down was not to cry and make excuses but to say "next man up." That was the Clemson radio broadcast team.

I see no reason as a Tech fan to make lame excuses for why Clemson's offense performed worse than they have in the previous 83 games Dabo has coached them. They had 45 minutes of game time and a half-time break to figure out how to do something against Tech's defense after Watson's knee injury. Let alone the fact that they have no excuse for Stoudt not being completely ready given they could not have any guarantees on what Watson coming off of a throwing hand injury was going to even be able to give them first game back and with live hits (on the road in a big rivalry game).

We may as well make assumptions that if Watson had continued to have to run the ball as CU's only offense then he was very likely to cough up some fumbles when our linebackers started stripping across that broken hand.

The Jackets played hard, executed better, and won for Snoddy after he went down. CU could have done the same and rallied together and played better if Watson is supposed to have meant so much to them.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our players were just being polite. I don't have to be polite to the opponent.

6 points is the fewest points CU has scored in a game since Dabo has been the head coach.

Watson is a true freshman who has almost spent more of the year as their backup or injured than starting. I actually got to watch some of the game replay that CU broadcasts using their own radio announcers. Their take on Watson going down was not to cry and make excuses but to say "next man up." That was the Clemson radio broadcast team.

I see no reason as a Tech fan to make lame excuses for why Clemson's offense performed worse than they have in the previous 83 games Dabo has coached them. They had 45 minutes of game time and a half-time break to figure out how to do something against Tech's defense after Watson's knee injury. Let alone the fact that they have no excuse for Stoudt not being completely ready given they could not have any guarantees on what Watson coming off of a throwing hand injury was going to even be able to give them first game back and with live hits (on the road in a big rivalry game).

We may as well make assumptions that if Watson had continued to have to run the ball as CU's only offense then he was very likely to cough up some fumbles when our linebackers started stripping across that broken hand.

The Jackets played hard, executed better, and won for Snoddy after he went down. CU could have done the same and rallied together and played better if Watson is supposed to have meant so much to them.
The game is played on an emotional level as we all know. Losing Watson not only removed a dangerous weapon from their offense, it killed their spirit and will emotionally. We're lucky that we have a very capable backup qb and that our team has a very strong constitution. When adversity hits, we just keep on chuggin like that engine going up the hill. Clemson, not so much.

That said, they still "out-starred" us by a longshot. Some guys on here actually equate that to talent, but I digress.