GT @ Clemson, Friday February 12th @ 8pm (ACCN)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

Anyone else find it crazy that Georgia Tech remains winless on the road in the ACC (0-5) this year?

Kind of. But those opponents are Duke, Florida State, Clemson, Louisville, and Virginia. All good teams who played well, and 2 of our games we only had 1 day off while the opponent had almost a week.

Last night Clemson played well. These were 2 quality teams playing good basketball. This wasn’t a trash game that was close because we both sucked. Clemson shot 7-9 from 3PT in the second half - and those were contested shots. It’s really hard to beat someone who almost literally doesn’t miss - even when the shot does miss but ricochets in. We shot 6% higher from the field than they did.

The season will still come down to the same games - we have left a bunch of 0.500 or worse games. (And @VT) Now we have to win almost all of them, but if we lose to Wake or BC or Miami or teams like that we have bigger problems.

We’ve had 1 bad game since we changed our contact level in practice months ago - 1 single game. Louisville on the road on 1 day of rest.

GT_EE78

Banned
that’s usually what happens in college sports. Again, he preaches get old, stay old and he still can’t win consistently.
"GET OLD STAY OLD" was a marketing ploy to stave off criticism and buy him a few years of high-paying employment.
It worked.
Every coach(except 1 and dones) tries to disribute his recruits over the class years to avoid nasty rebuilds when many sr's graduate simultaneously

Deleted member 2897

"GET OLD STAY OLD" was a marketing ploy to stave off criticism and buy him a few years of high-paying employment.
It worked.
Every coach(except 1 and dones) tries to disribute his recruits over the class years to avoid nasty rebuilds when many sr's graduate simultaneously

You don’t think he tries to get the best players he can every single year? LOL

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
It worked.
We are the most experienced team in the P5 conferences. Pastner can't have it any better. This is what he has preached and its what he has wanted. Anything less than a tourney bid should have Tstan at least looking at that list in his desk. However, this team is fully capable of winning out and I still expect them to make the tourney. Last night was a terrible loss, but we have to bounce back.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Next year could be a train wreck if all the seniors do leave and Devoe goes too. TStan needs to start the list of potentials. This year is heading toward a .500 season and no tournament unless things turn very quickly with some consecutive wins. The WF game at the end of the regular season will be telling. That team was absolutely gutted plus a new coach and transfers but they are improving. Will show how coaching makes a difference. UNC and Duke are improving with proven coaches. Nothing will be easy down the stretch. This year may be Partner's ceiling. I sure hope not. He has done a good job developing Moses into a very good player but he has no backup. Jose is one of the best in the ACC along with Devoe. Usher is much improved this year but we are pretty average elsewhere when comparing to ACC talent. That was a tough one to lose last night.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Kind of. But those opponents are Duke, Florida State, Clemson, Louisville, and Virginia. All good teams who played well, and 2 of our games we only had 1 day off while the opponent had almost a week.

Last night Clemson played well. These were 2 quality teams playing good basketball. This wasn’t a trash game that was close because we both sucked. Clemson shot 7-9 from 3PT in the second half - and those were contested shots. It’s really hard to beat someone who almost literally doesn’t miss - even when the shot does miss but ricochets in. We shot 6% higher from the field than they did.

The season will still come down to the same games - we have left a bunch of 0.500 or worse games. (And @VT) Now we have to win almost all of them, but if we lose to Wake or BC or Miami or teams like that we have bigger problems.

We’ve had 1 bad game since we changed our contact level in practice months ago - 1 single game. Louisville on the road on 1 day of rest.
Duke is not a good team

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the bell n labarrie incidents hurt CJP this year the most. If he could have recruited without those over his head, we should have another couple of impact players that would have been ready this year.

Clemson made a lucky shot to win the game. Out 80% FT shooting senior misses both free throws. I think we just let the season play out before we make decisions on CJP..

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
If you’re not advocating to get rid of CPJ, I’m not sure why you felt the need to weigh in on my post. I was responding to those that did. I didn’t realize I was in an argument about what constitutes “stupid”. Although I think this conversation sort of defines it.
Pastner has done absolutely nothing to deserve that kind of comment. If anything, he’s brought embarrassment to GT (Ron Bell says hello) more than any type of success. To act like it would be some type of tragedy if he left the program is hilarious to me, that’s all.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Pastner simply isn’t getting it done, he’s had time. Way too much overthinking, rationalizing, and apologizing going on around the program.
Todd will do what’s right.

I don't have a strong opinion on whether he should be let go this year or start on the hot seat next year, but I agree TStan will make the right move. He did on the ladies hoops side, obviously.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Pastner simply isn’t getting it done, he’s had time. Way too much overthinking, rationalizing, and apologizing going on around the program.
Todd will do what’s right.
I really agree with this. I wish we had done something before this awful Covid year. It would take some super donors to pony up extra money to make a move and right now the dollars aren't there. Unless some school comes along and hires him away, we're stuck for another year.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow

The way Tech is constructed it is almost impossible to beat a good team when GT shoots below 30% 3 pointers - that’s what happened the last 2 games.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
It worked.
What happens if the football program is performing Year 5 like the basketball team currently is? People will be losing their minds!

Deleted member 2897

Duke is not a good team

right, but that wasn’t the point. It wasn’t a bad loss. Duke has 8 five star players, they played well that night, like they have at times, and the refs shoved it up our ***, giving them 22 free throws to our 5. We played good basketball in that game.

Deleted member 2897

The way Tech is constructed it is almost impossible to beat a good team when GT shoots below 30% 3 pointers - that’s what happened the last 2 games.

I mean, not really. We shot almost 53% from the field last night. That is incredibly good shooting. But Clemson shot 7-9 from 3 in the second half. And those were contested shots. If you’re playing good defense, but the other team doesn’t miss, it’s almost impossible for any team to win that.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Pastner's coaching and player development. The biggest thing this year highlights is his recruiting misses prior to the 2021 class. We have some talented players but not enough of them in key spots. Not having another post that can contribute and someone off the bench that can give you some scoring has really hurt the team. I am a little more optimistic about next year than others if Devoe returns, which I expect. We have some really good shooters coming in and an athletic wing. I fully expect Saba and Howard to be ready to contribute. I hope Pastner expands his rotation as we will be about 10 deep with ACC level talent.

Crazy how this year's schedule has played out. With the cancellations most of our games have been against the top half of the league. In many of our games we have lead in the second half only to lose down the stretch. I wonder if at least some of this is due to the minutes our starters play vs other teams who have deeper rotations. I would not be surprised to see us rattle off some wins closing out the season as we play more teams at the bottom of the conference. However barring winning out and a deep run in the ACC tournament I doubt we make it to the NCAAs after this loss.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I mean, not really. We shot almost 53% from the field last night. That is incredibly good shooting. But Clemson shot 7-9 from 3 in the second half. And those were contested shots. If you’re playing good defense, but the other team doesn’t miss, it’s almost impossible for any team to win that.
GT should have been up double digits at the half. Clemson indeed got hot in the 2nd half, but GT’s offense fell apart also to end the first half.