GT @ Clemson, Friday February 12th @ 8pm (ACCN)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not that anybody who needs to hear this is going to listen but...

When Pastner was hired a lot was made of his recruiting reputation. What a lot of people ignored was that his recruiting reputation was about the energy he put into recruiting which was likely to pay off down the road but less likely to lead to great recruits right away. That's pretty much what has played out. Here are the 10 highest rated recruits and transfers Pastner has brought in by their 247 rating.

Michael Devoe - .9819
Dallan Coleman - .981

James Banks - .9762
Miles Kelly - .9635
Jordan Usher - .9422
Jalon Moore .9305
Kyle Sturdivant - .9274

Jose Alvarado - .8994
Saba Gigiberia - .8928
Kristian Sjolund - .8916

By the way, those would all be higher rated than all but Tadric Jackson from what he inherited just to give you a perspective of where we have come. The bold are expected to be back on campus next year, and all but Mike have at least one year left after that. Point is the talent level is clearly on the upswing and not in a minor way.

As far as this year goes, we aren't really losing to bad teams in conference. We're losing mostly close games against the top half of the league. We're about one piece away from being where we want to be, and you can say that Pastner should have seen the loss of Banks coming and prepared. But the piece we are missing is a solid back up post player who can give Moses a breather and contribute somewhat reliably. That isn't Banks. We had that with Cole before he transferred. So instead we're a tough out that is a piece away. That's certainly better than we were the vast majority of years prior to last year in recent history.

As far as next year goes, we'll still be starting an upperclassman duo in Devoe and Sturdivant and likely a senior in Moore along with them so we'll still be well experienced. We might very well start another junior on top of that as well. And the one piece who is likely to start that isn't experience, Coleman, is physically ready for ACC play this year, a great shooter, and a well rounded player who likely will be able to contribute even if his shot isn't falling. Now some will argue that most of those players haven't proven to be starters or are freshmen so you can't rely on them, and I ask where do you think great uperclassmen come from? They don't just magically appear. Either they were great as freshmen, or they developed from guys who hadn't proven it yet. The other argument, which is amazing to me, is the lack of faith in coach Rev in developing our two bigs, three if you also consider Meka, to be ready for next year. After what he has done with Lammers, Gueye, Banks, and Wright I don't know why anyone would doubt that, but hey, its probably easy if your looking for things to go wrong.

The question is how long it will take that group to settle into it's new roles and develop the new dynamics needed for success. It may take a year, or it may take a couple games in the out of conference. There's no real way of knowing, but from a roster standpoint it'll be the most talented we've had since the 2010 year and still has a good bit of experience to go along with it.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Firing Coach Pastner would be the stupidest decision in Tech history.
I like Pastner and think he's a good coach but if he fails to bring in elite athletes next year, I think it's a fair idea to start to table. We need to continue to get Top 5 ACC recruiting classes if we want to sniff the NCAA Tournament. The will and spirit he's instilled in his teams alone has not done the job. Maybe there's a coach out there we could hire that could pull multiple top 150 talent every season? If we consistently brought in 3 Joses/Mikes a year for 4 straight years, we would be in really good shape.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I like Pastner and think he's a good coach but if he fails to bring in elite athletes next year, I think it's a fair idea to start to table. We need to continue to get Top 5 ACC recruiting classes if we want to sniff the NCAA Tournament. The will and spirit he's instilled in his teams alone has not done the job. Maybe there's a coach out there we could hire that could pull multiple top 150 talent every season? If we consistently brought in 3 Joses/Mikes a year for 4 straight years, we would be in really good shape.
Have you seen next year’s recruiting class?

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I have been an avid fan since 1977. You can laugh whatever body part you want off but Pastner is the second best coach we have had in my generation, second only to the SHW.
Yet he can’t even sniff Hewitt’s success. He needs to find a way to recruit NBA caliber players to GT. Even Gregory was able to do that.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
So it’s still possible we can do enough to get in but it’s gonna require us going no worse than 6-1 in our final 7 and that 1 can not be to teams like Pitt BC or Miami.
We have to find a way to win at VT for that ranked road W and Beat Cuse and Duke for some brand name wins. We’re running out of quality opponents on the schedule.
6-1 and 1 win in the ACCT should do it.
5-2 or worse and we better make it to Saturday.
I’m still optimistic but I think we just blew our shot tonite. That’s the type of loss that can carry over into the Pitt game Sunday.
I think that comeback be ND took everything out of us.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen next year’s recruiting class?
That's why I said "continue to get"...my whole suggestion of tabling replacements was based on assertion that he doesn't bring in a similar 2022 class to the 2021 one. If you re-read it, it becomes clear I am totally fine moving forward with him if the 2022 (and so on) class looks similar to 2021's. If 2022's class is poor, one can assume 2021 was an anomaly and it's time to find a coach who can bring in a 2021 class every year.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Not that anybody who needs to hear this is going to listen but...

When Pastner was hired a lot was made of his recruiting reputation. What a lot of people ignored was that his recruiting reputation was about the energy he put into recruiting which was likely to pay off down the road but less likely to lead to great recruits right away. That's pretty much what has played out. Here are the 10 highest rated recruits and transfers Pastner has brought in by their 247 rating.

Michael Devoe - .9819
Dallan Coleman - .981

James Banks - .9762
Miles Kelly - .9635
Jordan Usher - .9422
Jalon Moore .9305
Kyle Sturdivant - .9274

Jose Alvarado - .8994
Saba Gigiberia - .8928
Kristian Sjolund - .8916

By the way, those would all be higher rated than all but Tadric Jackson from what he inherited just to give you a perspective of where we have come. The bold are expected to be back on campus next year, and all but Mike have at least one year left after that. Point is the talent level is clearly on the upswing and not in a minor way.

As far as this year goes, we aren't really losing to bad teams in conference. We're losing mostly close games against the top half of the league. We're about one piece away from being where we want to be, and you can say that Pastner should have seen the loss of Banks coming and prepared. But the piece we are missing is a solid back up post player who can give Moses a breather and contribute somewhat reliably. That isn't Banks. We had that with Cole before he transferred. So instead we're a tough out that is a piece away. That's certainly better than we were the vast majority of years prior to last year in recent history.

As far as next year goes, we'll still be starting an upperclassman duo in Devoe and Sturdivant and likely a senior in Moore along with them so we'll still be well experienced. We might very well start another junior on top of that as well. And the one piece who is likely to start that isn't experience, Coleman, is physically ready for ACC play this year, a great shooter, and a well rounded player who likely will be able to contribute even if his shot isn't falling. Now some will argue that most of those players haven't proven to be starters or are freshmen so you can't rely on them, and I ask where do you think great uperclassmen come from? They don't just magically appear. Either they were great as freshmen, or they developed from guys who hadn't proven it yet. The other argument, which is amazing to me, is the lack of faith in coach Rev in developing our two bigs, three if you also consider Meka, to be ready for next year. After what he has done with Lammers, Gueye, Banks, and Wright I don't know why anyone would doubt that, but hey, its probably easy if your looking for things to go wrong.

The question is how long it will take that group to settle into it's new roles and develop the new dynamics needed for success. It may take a year, or it may take a couple games in the out of conference. There's no real way of knowing, but from a roster standpoint it'll be the most talented we've had since the 2010 year and still has a good bit of experience to go along with it.

this was an excellent post. The biggest concern I have though is that if the team struggles next year, which is very likely, then it gets even harder to imagine Pastner being kept around.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been an avid fan since 1977. You can laugh whatever body part you want off but Pastner is the second best coach we have had in my generation, second only to the SHW.

Well then you should know that Hewitt's evergreen contract was 1000% worse than anything to do with Pastner. I'm not advocating for anyone to get rid of CJP.. but to say getting rid of him would be the "stupidest" decision in GT history is hilarious. You can't be serious.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Already we have a core of Sturdivant, Kelly, Coleman, J.Moore, and Gigiberia which is line up that, in my opinion, has more raw talent across the board than we've had since 2010. We also have solid pieces in Meka, Howard, and Maxwell who fit the mold of being able to contribute as upperclassmen to compliment them. And all of those are guys who could be here in 3 years (I think it's more likely that Sturdivant and Howard take advantage of the free year of eligibility than the current seniors as it is basically the situation they'd have been in if they had sat out a year). With a staff that has already shown the ability to develop talent, has been consistently good at coaching defense, and has shown recent improvements on the offensive side of things, I don't see why you would seriously consider firing Pastner unless you just had an absolute lock in place that was a seriously proven coach which I can't imagine we would find ourselves in that position.