GT @ Clemson, Friday February 12th @ 8pm (ACCN)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Well then you should know that Hewitt's evergreen contract was 1000% worse than anything to do with Pastner. I'm not advocating for anyone to get rid of CJP.. but to say getting rid of him would be the "stupidest" decision in GT history is hilarious. You can't be serious.
If you’re not advocating to get rid of CPJ, I’m not sure why you felt the need to weigh in on my post. I was responding to those that did. I didn’t realize I was in an argument about what constitutes “stupid”. Although I think this conversation sort of defines it.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Already we have a core of Sturdivant, Kelly, Coleman, J.Moore, and Gigiberia which is line up that, in my opinion, has more raw talent across the board than we've had since 2010. We also have solid pieces in Meka, Howard, and Maxwell who fit the mold of being able to contribute as upperclassmen to compliment them. And all of those are guys who could be here in 3 years (I think it's more likely that Sturdivant and Howard take advantage of the free year of eligibility than the current seniors as it is basically the situation they'd have been in if they had sat out a year). With a staff that has already shown the ability to develop talent, has been consistently good at coaching defense, and has shown recent improvements on the offensive side of things, I don't see why you would seriously consider firing Pastner unless you just had an absolute lock in place that was a seriously proven coach which I can't imagine we would find ourselves in that position.
To add to the core group you listed, I wouldn’t be shocked to see 2, maybe 3 of Moses, Jose, Usher and Bubba use the free year next season as well. Most likely Jose will go play professionally but the other 3 could really help their game with that extra year.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, based on “get old”, “Pastner’s 5th Year”, “Last year’s finish”, coming off of “ncaa penalty”, this may be o e of thes most difficult bball seasons in 30 years, rivaling a final year of Cremins and Hewitt in bounding years. The NCAA expectations were real and the bizarre season opening losses, half-time leads that were lost, no show at Duke and then tonight’s bank and the 10 seconds that lead to it are almost too much to believe. It’s just college basketball, but with decades of emotion invested, it does make me a bit ill the way this season has turned out, and the optimism for any confident momentum for a legitimate threat in the next season or two with such young talent. Feel REALLY bad for Jose. He’s gotta feel the sickest he’s ever felt about a loss. Feel sad for the kid.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
To add to the core group you listed, I wouldn’t be shocked to see 2, maybe 3 of Moses, Jose, Usher and Bubba use the free year next season as well. Most likely Jose will go play professionally but the other 3 could really help their game with that extra year.
I keep thinking it is going to be Usher. He got ripped off most of a year because of his mid season transfer.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Sleeping didn’t help. They basically invented a way to lose that damn game. Jose missing those two free throws was absolutely horrid. Senior, team leader, Naismith trophy watch list, 88% free throw shooter...I can go on, but you get the point. As per usual they just found a way to lose. It’s getting so bad you almost expect it to happen.

I think there are two ways we make the tourney at this point. Win out and win a game or two in the tournament...or just win the tournament.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Sleeping didn’t help. They basically invented a way to lose that damn game. Jose missing those two free throws was absolutely horrid. Senior, team leader, Naismith trophy watch list, 88% free throw shooter...I can go on, but you get the point. As per usual they just found a way to lose. It’s getting so bad you almost expect it to happen.

I think there are two ways we make the tourney at this point. Win out and win a game or two in the tournament...or just win the tournament.
Being an Atlanta sports fan I always expect something bad to happen LOL!

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Not that anybody who needs to hear this is going to listen but...

When Pastner was hired a lot was made of his recruiting reputation. What a lot of people ignored was that his recruiting reputation was about the energy he put into recruiting which was likely to pay off down the road but less likely to lead to great recruits right away. That's pretty much what has played out. Here are the 10 highest rated recruits and transfers Pastner has brought in by their 247 rating.

Michael Devoe - .9819
Dallan Coleman - .981

James Banks - .9762
Miles Kelly - .9635
Jordan Usher - .9422
Jalon Moore .9305
Kyle Sturdivant - .9274

Jose Alvarado - .8994
Saba Gigiberia - .8928
Kristian Sjolund - .8916

By the way, those would all be higher rated than all but Tadric Jackson from what he inherited just to give you a perspective of where we have come. The bold are expected to be back on campus next year, and all but Mike have at least one year left after that. Point is the talent level is clearly on the upswing and not in a minor way.

As far as this year goes, we aren't really losing to bad teams in conference. We're losing mostly close games against the top half of the league. We're about one piece away from being where we want to be, and you can say that Pastner should have seen the loss of Banks coming and prepared. But the piece we are missing is a solid back up post player who can give Moses a breather and contribute somewhat reliably. That isn't Banks. We had that with Cole before he transferred. So instead we're a tough out that is a piece away. That's certainly better than we were the vast majority of years prior to last year in recent history.

As far as next year goes, we'll still be starting an upperclassman duo in Devoe and Sturdivant and likely a senior in Moore along with them so we'll still be well experienced. We might very well start another junior on top of that as well. And the one piece who is likely to start that isn't experience, Coleman, is physically ready for ACC play this year, a great shooter, and a well rounded player who likely will be able to contribute even if his shot isn't falling. Now some will argue that most of those players haven't proven to be starters or are freshmen so you can't rely on them, and I ask where do you think great uperclassmen come from? They don't just magically appear. Either they were great as freshmen, or they developed from guys who hadn't proven it yet. The other argument, which is amazing to me, is the lack of faith in coach Rev in developing our two bigs, three if you also consider Meka, to be ready for next year. After what he has done with Lammers, Gueye, Banks, and Wright I don't know why anyone would doubt that, but hey, its probably easy if your looking for things to go wrong.

The question is how long it will take that group to settle into it's new roles and develop the new dynamics needed for success. It may take a year, or it may take a couple games in the out of conference. There's no real way of knowing, but from a roster standpoint it'll be the most talented we've had since the 2010 year and still has a good bit of experience to go along with it.
Best post I’ve seen in a long time. Here’s hoping we can also get a quality transfer or two this Spring, assuming Wright, Alvarado and Usher move on.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I love Tech basketball so much that I just put myself through the misery of watching the replay on ACCN this morning. Why? I don’t know. I was hoping he would miss that final shot this time, I guess.

I’m still not sure how Josh got a technical for hitting the table. He does that every game. I’ve seen him smack that table so hard when we do something dumb. I swear we get TV Teddy for every big game like last night.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I was in shock as well. Feel very bad for José. He’s been amazing. This team is fun to watch but causing blood pressure issues!! I do love this team & our players. Beat Pitt!!
Tell me about it. I was having chest pain after that game. It might have been heartburn from the cheesesteak I had. It might have been heartbreak from another tough loss.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Being an Atlanta sports fan I always expect something bad to happen LOL!
When he missed the second I looked at my wife and said we’re gonna lose. Then he banks in that BS. She’s like how did you know?
It’s amazing that no matter what sport it is, I never once have felt comfortable with a lead in any game. We always find new ways to blow it.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
1 of 2 things happen after a loss like that.
We either circle the wagons and come out pissed and get on a roll or we fold up and let it turn into 2 or 3 more losses.
I want to think with a senior laden team we come out swinging but our inability to close out game after game during winning time scares me.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Calm down? He’s about to go 0-5 in making the tournament and losing his best players. Any legit basketball program would be firing him after this season.
As soon as some Tech fans back the money truck up to the AD we can talk about new coaching changes. Tech just spent a ton of money of the footbll program and due to C-19 there is very little revenue coming in. Pastner is not the problem!