GT Clemson 2/25 9 pm EST McCamish Pavilion

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well boys and girls, the time has come for our next match on the hardwood. I’m pulling for the jackets, as I always do, and thinking about making the trip downtown to Houston for the meet up. Is anyone from the board planning on being at Nets bar to watch?

Go jackets, let’s get a win against Clemson tomorrow - cuz this fall will be significantly more challenging!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Clemson has beat some top teams, but not on the road, where they only have 3 total wins this year. This is a must win game. We need to win our last 3 home games.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has beat some top teams, but not on the road, where they only have 3 total wins this year. This is a must win game. We need to win our last 3 home games.
Must win? I assume you mean with just next year in mind at this point? Finishing the season strong, getting better, etc.?

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think he means this is a “must win” if we are going to have any chance to play postseason basketball. I hate to say it, but I think our “must wins” were a few weeks ago and now we are playing for fun.

Today would be a great day to watch the baseball team play at 4 and then head over to the Thrillerdome for basketball at 9 (which is really late for a school night, right?).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think he means this is a “must win” if we are going to have any chance to play postseason basketball. I hate to say it, but I think our “must wins” were a few weeks ago and now we are playing for fun.

Today would be a great day to watch the baseball team play at 4 and then head over to the Thrillerdome for basketball at 9 (which is really late for a school night, right?).

Postseason basketball? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yup. just playin' for fun these days, I'm afraid....and have been for the last decade....<sigh>

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Must win? I assume you mean with just next year in mind at this point? Finishing the season strong, getting better, etc.?

We're currently sitting at 7-9 in conference. Winning 3 of our last 4 would give us our first .500 conference record since 06-07, and just the 5th time this century. Bit of an arbitrary mark but I don't think it's a completely meaningless one either. Like you mentioned part of that is for building momentum towards next year, but part of it is just an achievement that we haven't been able to do very often recently.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Agree that there's not much to play for in terms of this year's postseason, until we get to the ACCT and a chance at the auto-bid.

That said, there's no benefit to losing. As @lv20gt points out, winning helps with momentum, and always helps in recruiting.

Deleted member 2897

Yup. just playin' for fun these days, I'm afraid....and have been for the last decade....<sigh>

We have 3 remaining home games, plus 1 road game. The average KenPom of those teams is almost 100. If we go 3-1 and win an ACCT play-in game against a lower seed who just played the night before, at minimum we'll qualify for the NIT. Maybe you didn't know all this. But our post season is very much alive. Although yes that could change in 1 week.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Says this guy that admits he knows very little about the college basketball landscape.. Some of you guys are a trip!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Says this guy that admits he knows very little about the college basketball landscape.. Some of you guys are a trip!
I will freely admit I am NOT as big a fan or as knowledgable as many...you amongst others. But I can still express an opinion. My derision was really meant to imply that an NIT bid in your 4th year in the program (after having achieved that in year 1 already) is not something that stirs my soul. And that an NCAA bid (the only thing I really care about, tbh) is out of reach. Peace.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've got no issue with anyone expressing their opinion, but is that really what you were doing?

It seemed more like laughing at someone for having an optimistic viewpoint that this group may be able to play themselves into a postseason invite.

You may not get excited at the idea of playing in the NIT, but I'd bet the young men on the team would be happy about it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't really understand why anyone who considered themselves a fan wouldn't be excited for us making the NIT if we end up in that scenario. For one it would mean us probably winning 4 or 5 more games on the year. It would also mean that we get to watch the team play more games. Furthermore it would lend support to the idea that had we been fully healthy all year we'd have had a chance at the NCAAT. Lastly it would build momentum going into next year when we return most of the team and add or return 4 solid pieces.

My guess is those that wouldn't be excited in the event that we made the NIT are the same that noshowed the UL postgame topic because they were disappointed we actually won the game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You can put me in the camp that won't be excited for the NIT. Only one time in my life has that happened - Year 1 with CPast when we crushed expectations. This year was meh, even assuming we beat a bunch of non-NCAAT teams in the next several games. I don't necessarily expect that our players will be happy to be in the NIT. I actually hope not and anticipate it will be fuel for next year.

Nothing more this team can do now about the past. I will be happy for us to win 4 or 5 more for reasons stated already. Beat Clemson, get on a run, and close the year strong is still a positive and good for a variety of reasons.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't really understand why anyone who considered themselves a fan wouldn't be excited for us making the NIT if we end up in that scenario. For one it would mean us probably winning 4 or 5 more games on the year. It would also mean that we get to watch the team play more games. Furthermore it would lend support to the idea that had we been fully healthy all year we'd have had a chance at the NCAAT. Lastly it would build momentum going into next year when we return most of the team and add or return 4 solid pieces.

My guess is those that wouldn't be excited in the event that we made the NIT are the same that noshowed the UL postgame topic because they were disappointed we actually won the game.
Your guess is absolutely right

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck

"Excited" is a strong word. I would rather go to the NIT than not, but would I be "excited"? No, and I doubt the players would be "excited" either. It's been a disappointing year. Doesn't mean I'm not pulling for us to win every game.

Also, if going to the NIT this year prevents us from being eligible for the postseason next year, I will be the opposite of excited.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"Excited" is a strong word. I would rather go to the NIT than not, but would I be "excited"? No, and I doubt the players would be "excited" either. It's been a disappointing year. Doesn't mean I'm not pulling for us to win every game.

Also, if going to the NIT this year prevents us from being eligible for the postseason next year, I will be the opposite of excited.

Couple of things here.. You're talking about a group that gets excited about raiding a gas station for snacks.

The possibility of traveling to Madison Square Garden might be something that is big to them.

Participating in the ACC Tourney would make us ineligible for the postseason next year (assuming we lose the appeal).

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Couple of things here.. You're talking about a group that gets excited about raiding a gas station for snacks.

The possibility of traveling to Madison Square Garden might be something that is big to them.

Participating in the ACC Tourney would make us ineligible for the postseason next year (assuming we lose the appeal).
The ACC Tournament is not post season play. The 1st game is a scheduled season game.