GT Clemson 2/25 9 pm EST McCamish Pavilion

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good win. didn't get a chance to see it but the highlites this AM on Packer/Durham focused on outside shooting by the Jackets which is great. Also the box score shows a positive Moore sighting which is really good news. Seeing if he can close strong may be the biggest thing getting ready for next year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Teddy Valentine is a disgrace to refs and the entire sport of basketball. The game is about the players and teams, yet he finds a way to make it about him. TV Teddy always puts on a show. How does he still have a job?

The issue is the same as it is with NBA officiating.

NBA refs are the best in basketball .... but they're not as good as they should/could be. So, why doesn't anything change? Because it doesn't have to.

Why does Valentine still get prime officiating gigs? Because, for all his obvious personal vendettas, he's actually not a bad official. I've seen it written that many coaches like him because he, supposedly, doesn't get swayed by the crowd the way most officials do.

Now, hold your slings and arrows, I'm well aware he has rabbit ears. I'm also of the opinion that he is swayed by the crowd. What I think coaches are saying is that there are refs, who's names we don't know, who are scared to make certain calls.

I think the league and coaches actually respect him as an official so there's low motivation to change anything.

Just my hair-brained assessment.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have heard/read the same thing. If you are an away team you like seeing Teddy as he will make calls that others won't - doesn't have the home cooking rep. But on the other side he most certainly does have the potential of going on an agenda during a game against anyone or either team. Kind of like a box of chocolates.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Those offensive fouls he called against us were complete horse****...!!

Especially the second one..

Yes, and it was obvious on the replay above the court. TV Teddy cost us two buckets (that he took away on the bogus calls), along with two fouls on us, and two missed calls on Clemson. Quite a score/foul turnaround because TVT likes to call offensive fouls. He likes punching the air with his right fist!

GT_EE78

Banned
big win,glad it wasn't very close.
good guards and good to see Moore rejoin the ranks of contributors.
Hope they win out and get over .500 for first time in forever

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
one other note on post-season participation.
Remember that the Morehouse win does not count toward post-season tournament records. From an NCAA standpoint we are 13-14.
Non Div 1 wins do not count for anything other than the GT record book.

Realistically GT would have to win out and win at least 1 in the ACC Tournament to even sniff an NIT bid.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The issue is the same as it is with NBA officiating.

NBA refs are the best in basketball .... but they're not as good as they should/could be. So, why doesn't anything change? Because it doesn't have to.

Why does Valentine still get prime officiating gigs? Because, for all his obvious personal vendettas, he's actually not a bad official. I've seen it written that many coaches like him because he, supposedly, doesn't get swayed by the crowd the way most officials do.

Now, hold your slings and arrows, I'm well aware he has rabbit ears. I'm also of the opinion that he is swayed by the crowd. What I think coaches are saying is that there are refs, who's names we don't know, who are scared to make certain calls.

I think the league and coaches actually respect him as an official so there's low motivation to change anything.

Just my hair-brained assessment.

I'm not sure but I think (Vally)he was in that crazy unc-dook game when the refs missed an OBVIOUS foul at end.I hate unCHEAT but that was wrong.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and it was obvious on the replay above the court. TV Teddy cost us two buckets (that he took away on the bogus calls), along with two fouls on us, and two missed calls on Clemson. Quite a score/foul turnaround because TVT likes to call offensive fouls. He likes punching the air with his right fist!

Teddy V's thing is to call offensive fouls against the home team. Nothing puts the spotlight on him quicker.

/

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Remember that the Morehouse win does not count toward post-season tournament records. From an NCAA standpoint we are 13-14.

Realistically GT would have to win out and win at least 1 in the ACC Tournament to even sniff an NIT bid.

Red - This came directly from Coach Pastner in an email response to me:

"The Morehouse win counts on the season record but does not count on stats good or bad by the NCAA selection committee."

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm not exactly sure what he meant by the stats not counting unless the selection committee actually takes things like PPG, Offensive/Defensive efficiency into consideration.

Perhaps he means that they simply are not factoring into the rating systems that they use measure tournament worthy teams.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Red - This came directly from Coach Pastner in an email response to me:

"The Morehouse win counts on the season record but does not count on stats good or bad by the NCAA selection committee."

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm not exactly sure what he meant by the stats not counting unless the selection committee actually takes things like PPG, Offensive/Defensive efficiency into consideration.

Perhaps he means that they simply are not factoring into the rating systems that they use measure tournament worthy teams.

It may count in the standings, but Warren Nolan's RPI has us at 13-14. So, I suspect, not taken into account as a win by the NCAA selection committee. So if we end up 18-15 by winning out the regular season, winning our first ACC tourney game, and losing the second, I suspect the selection committee would look at us as a 17-15 team when comparing us to other programs.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The ACC does not allow any team that is banned from the post-season to play in its conference tournament. Has been that way for years. That is so you don't have a situation arise where an ineligible team wins the conferece's auto-bid.

Nothing personal, but i'd take a ban this year to not have one next year. This team should have been better than it is. Should have been at least a bubble NCAA team. Just lost a couple too many close games.

I wish Usher would play more under control. He tends to play too fast. He was credited with 5 of the team's 16 TO's.

A healthy Alvarado and Devoe is one of the best backcourts in the conference. it feels like Bubba is finally starting to settle into a role.
I can see why Pastner would play bubba over Usher in crunch time. He's more careful with the ball.
Do you know what happens to Tech's portion of ACCT tickets? I would hate to see the Duke and UNC people short of tickets.

GT_EE78

Banned

AJC seems to agree with you.
"
"Last season, the NIT took nine teams from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC. They happened to be the nine power-conference teams with the highest NET rankings that weren’t selected to the NCAA tournament and had records of .500 or better. The range was 33-66.

After Thursday’s games, Tech’s NET (a replacement for the NCAA’s longstanding evaluation metric, RPI) was No. 78. The Jackets likely would be in good position for the NIT if they could win the next three games to get to 16-14 and win one tournament game to finish at 17-15, but even that would not seem a lock by any stretch."
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...at-are-tech-nit-hopes/1mVBmfnhgwXWGWrDtWYzZL/