GT @ BC

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this year it’s primarily a combination of lack of talent and experience at key positions and a lack of depth. If we have better depth, Josh probably isn’t in foul trouble because he doesn’t have to play as many minutes in the 2nd half. If we have a more experienced PG in a situation where we should get close to the last shot, he probably doesn’t dribble into an area where one of his teammates is and gets double teamed and turns the ball over. If we have a better, more experienced big man, he probably hits that front end of a one and one and the game is much more in hand with a minute to go.

I didn’t really have many gripes with Pastner today. Players gotta make plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We gotta get some shooters in here, I know CGB is hurt but he missed like his last 9 threes in a row. Think of how big of an impact Nwora or Tucker would’ve had this year, hell even MJ Walker. I hope Devoe can shoot it and CGB gets healthy.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
We gotta get some shooters in here, I know CGB is hurt but he missed like his last 9 threes in a row. Think of how big of an impact Nwora or Tucker would’ve had this year, hell even MJ Walker. I hope Devoe can shoot it and CGB gets healthy.

No offense to Alston, but if we had a starter in his place that could shoot anywhere near as well as a Price or a Scott, we'd have very different record.

UK was 2 for 20 from 3 yesterday and 1 for 13 in a game last week. This may be Calipari's worst team because they can't shoot. These kids get 5 star ratings playing AAU, etc. where no one plays defense. Drive and dunk. They get to college where teams play good D, and they don't look so exceptional.

You shoot with your legs, and Haywood has a leg injury. I am not concerned about his recent misses.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The officiating was unbalanced today. IOW it sucked. But to some degree that is life on the road in the ACC. You would think we would have been the beneficiaries of being the attacker most of the game but .... whatever. Made a difference but not what I would focus on.

Call it talent, call it ugly basketball, call it whatever you want .... Today was exhibit one of what the difference is when you can shoot the basketball. Everything we did was hard. Scoring was difficult. Our players were trying to drive where there were not driving lanes. AD and Lammers had at least 2 people on them whenever they got the ball near the basket (and got manhandled too but I digress). Jose was way over aggressive trying to get to the hoop - especially in transition. BC played defense only from about 18 feet in. We can't make shots. Every damn thing is hard.

BC is not that good a team except that they can shoot. They make shots and it covers a multitude of sins. It causes us to have to play extended defense which leaves driving lanes open. It means we can't rotate quickly to cover the roll so that gets easy instead of AD trying to roll into a phone booth full of bodies. We made mistakes on D but also overall played reasonably well and hard on D.

Yes this is different if we make free throws or if we got a few more calls or if a couple of shots that rolled out go in. No question. But at the core of this game was the difference between a team that can shoot and gets easy scores and a team that cannot shoot and everything is ungodly hard.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Stinks Lammers will leave Tech without an NCAA appearance. Why didn’t we redshirt him his first year? Can’t even remember him playing.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Ben would have been better off redshirting with his major. ME is not an easy major for anyone much less a BB player. Would have given him an extra year to work on his degree. He must be very bright and good time management skills. Glad he chose GT.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
You can not win in college basketball without guys who can hit the 3 period. What I don't understand is why we are having such a hard time recruiting someone who can. The mid majors are full of these type of players.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
For anyone keeping track, the BC announcer was added to the list of guys totally incapable of pronouncing JoshnKobe's last name.

It doesn't take much to actually do some freaking research and learn how to properly pronounce a prominent player's name on the opposing team. I mean, if he mispronounced "Smith", people would hold his feet to the fire and rightfully so.

Why is it acceptable for him to ignore the notes which I have no doubt include a phonetic spelling of the dude's name?

I guess 'cause it's one-a those "weird" names, it's ok? Well no, it's not ok. He gets the same double-bird fingers I give freaking Anish Schroff every time I see his fugly mugg. Friggin hack.

And I love Cory Alexander but can we stop romanticizing about the BC grad asst and his dumbarse bowtie and dancing?

Sorry, I been sitting on that for a while. :grumpy:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
For anyone keeping track, the BC announcer was added to the list of guys totally incapable of pronouncing JoshnKobe's last name.

It doesn't take much to actually do some freaking research and learn how to properly pronounce a prominent player's name on the opposing team. I mean, if he mispronounced "Smith", people would hold his feet to the fire and rightfully so.

Why is it acceptable for him to ignore the notes which I have no doubt include a phonetic spelling of the dude's name?

I guess 'cause it's one-a those "weird" names, it's ok? Well no, it's not ok. He gets the same double-bird fingers I give freaking Anish Schroff every time I see his fugly mugg. Friggin hack.

And I love Cory Alexander but can we stop romanticizing about the BC grad asst and his dumbarse bowtie and dancing?

Sorry, I been sitting on that for a while. :grumpy:

Next time try a little lube......

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
You can not win in college basketball without guys who can hit the 3 period. What I don't understand is why we are having such a hard time recruiting someone who can. The mid majors are full of these type of players.
This incoming class appears to be guys that actually have an outside shot. Jose has an OK shot and Haywood has a nice stroke, especially before his injury. I expect both of those guys to get more reliable from behind the arc as they get older.

But just so we are on the same page, I, too, share your pain and am tired of the craptastic shooting that has become to familiar to this program.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Again I was not able to see the game but saw the stats.
The basic shooting,3pt, and FT % were oddly ok.The difference makers were OFF rebs given up(even with Ben with 10rebs--I can't wait til next yr without a BIG replacement for him) and again we had more TOs than assts.(they didn't).

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Again I was not able to see the game but saw the stats.
The basic shooting,3pt, and FT % were oddly ok.The difference makers were OFF rebs given up(even with Ben with 10rebs--I can't wait til next yr without a BIG replacement for him) and again we had more TOs than assts.(they didn't).

Honestly if AD is playing the way he has, I’m not against saying our offense may look better without Ben meandering about on the perimeter. He hasn’t been a consistent threat out there but AD has become a legit threat on the block.

I never thought i would type that comment