GT & ACC WBB 2021-2022

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
#49 Ga. Tech RealTime RPI: http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Women.html
#26 GT NCAA Net Ranking: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-net-rankings

Edited to add-When a player is recruited to UConn., they are generally top 5 at that position in the Nation. Mir was top 20 coming out of HS. Coach Gino has had that luxury for several years. If MBB are blue bloods, UCon is a pink blood.
I have a friend here in Oriental who was the Georgetown Women's Basketball coach for a short while. She said Gino doesn't so much recruit 5* players as take applications from them. With Staley at USC that might have changed a bit, but the idea is not off by much.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a friend here in Oriental who was the Georgetown Women's Basketball coach for a short while. She said Gino doesn't so much recruit 5* players as take applications from them. With Staley at USC that might have changed a bit, but the idea is not off by much.
A few years back I saw Gino show up to a Norcross High game with some assistant coaches and sat directly across from the Norcross bench. He was trying to get Diamond Deshields attention.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The only saving grace is that Gino can schollie only 15 total per season. Generally, they don’t have many if any walk-ons. The ones who attempt to recruit UConn, pretty much are the ones they won’t take. As @orientalnc said, Gino and Dawn pick and choose.

Hopefully, I haven’t bored you good folks with this story before….when Coach Bobby was hired, the entire GT recruiting budget was less than one film that UNC/Deano produced and showed to the recruits, big donor people. The name of that flick was “Gateway to the Pros.”

If this needs to be moved to the college & pro sports, please do?

Happy New Year, and Go Wolverines!

slugboy

Staff member
Does someone who follows WBB want to point us to a primer or write up how the women’s game differs from the men’s?

Do they use the same offenses and defenses and coaching, or do they use different strategies?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Does someone who follows WBB want to point us to a primer or write up how the women’s game differs from the men’s?

Do they use the same offenses and defenses and coaching, or do they use different strategies?
My view is that the men's game is played above the rim and the women's game is played on the floor. Clearly, the men use more power to make plays than the women, but I think the concept of play design is similar. It's all about getting open for shots you think are makeable. Ball movement and PNR plays are almost identical. Maybe one of the other posters can add to or correct me on this, but I do not remember seeing much zone defense in the women's game.

One thing that is absolutely different is the depth of quality teams. In the men's game there are probably 150 teams capable of having a good enough night to beat a top 25 team. I do not think that's the case in the women's game. Not yet. But it is getting a bit better every year.

Another thing that is changing is the dedication to improving individual play that is catching on with more women. The tweets and videos of Nicole Melious are just an example. She is not the only female gym rat out there and that was almost unheard years ago. Her family is supporting her to be an athlete in ways most families would have done only with their sons in the past. I think you can watch Paige Bueckers and imagine her in a pickup game with college level basketball players and holding her own. Same with Lorela Cubaj.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow

I can think of one difference in the rules. Men play two 20 minute halfs and women play four 10 minute quarters. I think this effects the way fouls are accumulated. Also, I think the travelling rule is a little different. I noticed that a woman post player can pivot and take two steps to the basket without dribbling. There also appear to be many more held ball calls.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Biggest difference is women's game played on the floor and men's game above the rim.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
UGA losses to LSU…..Speaking of the Mutts-
Diana Collins, a 5-6 PG, Brookwood HS (Snellville, GA), has announced her commitment to Georgia WBB, their first 2023 commit; among her other offers were Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hyped for our game against UL at noon today! The Ladies will be looking for their second top 3 upset of the year! I hope to see you other hooligans there.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Hoping GT will be retiring Cubaj’s number after this season. Maybe the most complete, unselfish player we’ve ever had. Ball handling was tremendous against the pressure and that guard on her.

Tough loss to a team that may be #1 tomorrow. 50-48.

We are both without a voice, dining here in the Colonade. Proud to be sidewalking Jackets!