GT & ACC WBB 2021-2022

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is a GT Basketball forum. Anything not about GT Basketball should probably go here: https://gtswarm.com/forums/college-pro-sports.11/
I have to disagree. But only in practice. I think you are technically correct. But we have, for a very long while, allowed tangential threads here that focus on ACC basketball since that affects GT. We also have the ACC Discussion 2021-22 thread (https://gtswarm.com/threads/acc-discussion-2021-22.24072/) in which there are posts about the ACC generally.

I asked @John and @CuseJacket to open a women's basketball sub-forum and they, correctly, indicated that at that time there wasn't enough interest. I may request a rehearing to have a s forum for Women's Sports. I think the combination of basketball and volleyball might be enough interest to make the change worthwhile. Then we would probably have recruiting threads for individual players like Nicole Melious that would have a lot more posts that we see in the generic basketball forum.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
@orientalnc ;
About a few years ago, could have been 3 or even 4, I took a poll and asked readers to hit the “like“ button if they wanted me to keep posting recruiting info.?
Was shocked(& I’m sure @CuseJacket was too, since he doubted my projection)that between PM’s and likes, there were over 30. Now, I don’t think we have that many these days? Although the ones we have such as yourself, contribute significantly.

Thank you all for having an interest in all of our athletic teams, and allowing us to share what some could argue is obscure information. I ask those few fonts that don’t enjoy recruiting or the moving parts of ACC Rosters, just to please ignore, skip over.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree. But only in practice. I think you are technically correct. But we have, for a very long while, allowed tangential threads here that focus on ACC basketball since that affects GT. We also have the ACC Discussion 2021-22 thread (https://gtswarm.com/threads/acc-discussion-2021-22.24072/) in which there are posts about the ACC generally.

I asked @John and @CuseJacket to open a women's basketball sub-forum and they, correctly, indicated that at that time there wasn't enough interest. I may request a rehearing to have a s forum for Women's Sports. I think the combination of basketball and volleyball might be enough interest to make the change worthwhile. Then we would probably have recruiting threads for individual players like Nicole Melious that would have a lot more posts that we see in the generic basketball forum.
Totally disagree. The forum isn't GT and ACC Basketball , it's about GT Basketball. That includes Men's and Women's. However, I am willing to accept that others have differing opinions, especially if the posts can be made relevant to GTWBB (this one might can, I don't know if she showed interest in GT).

There is an appropriate forum for other college sports already created. That's why it was created. I couldn't care less about some random person transferring from UCONN to UVA. It has no relevance to my interest in GTWBB.

I also acknowledge that this might get lost in the College and Pros forum. So, start a thread reading "ACC WBB News" and anyone who wants to read about random transfers can. Either that or the moderators need to stop over-moderating in other threads/forums.

All of my kids are back from college and trying to change the house rules because they're not used to having to be in at a certain time or to contribute to a household, so I'm in a very ornery mood post-Christmas.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I can sense the bad mood, so forgive me for interfering in this discussion. We did recruit and offer Mir in the past. My reason for trying to cut down on new threads is because @CuseJacket has asked me to help with that in the past.

Peace and love to all, be safe.

Forgot to add, UVa. signed no one in the 2022 Early Signing Period.

Last edited:

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
@orientalnc ;
About a few years ago, could have been 3 or even 4, I took a poll and asked readers to hit the “like“ button if they wanted me to keep posting recruiting info.?
Was shocked(& I’m sure @CuseJacket was too, since he doubted my projection)that between PM’s and likes, there were over 30. Now, I don’t think we have that many these days? Although the ones we have such as yourself, contribute significantly.

Thank you all for having an interest in all of our athletic teams, and allowing us to share what some could argue is obscure information. I ask those few fonts that don’t enjoy recruiting or the moving parts of ACC Rosters, just to please ignore, skip over.
FWIW I enjoy reading about the additions and subtractions of the teams we compete with in the ACC. As another poster adroitly pointed out, it does have an indirect impact on GT women's basketball (and Men's) if the other teams are changing their roster construction. I am in agreement with the fact we all have the ability to skip over any messages that don't interest us. It helps to not have to search among multiple threads and/or forums to find recruiting info, competitive team info, etc. But if the powers that be decide that is what is best please let us know in this thread where we need to look for such info.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@orientalnc ;

I think you’re mixing two different things together but probably still directionally accurate.

My recollection is there were a series of WBB single post threads i.e., minimal to no responsiveness from others. For that reason my ask was to consolidate to a single thread.

If there is enough interest today where people want to engage, then I am fully supportive of new/dedicated threads to the topic at hand.

The other intended part of my response was, 'why would we create a dedicated women's basketball forum when there isn't a dedicated men's only forum?' This forum is not labeled 'men's basketball'. The volume of contributions effectively made it such.

I'm not married to that opinion, but my POV is this is GT basketball and does not discriminate.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Totally disagree. The forum isn't GT and ACC Basketball , it's about GT Basketball. That includes Men's and Women's. However, I am willing to accept that others have differing opinions, especially if the posts can be made relevant to GTWBB (this one might can, I don't know if she showed interest in GT).

There is an appropriate forum for other college sports already created. That's why it was created. I couldn't care less about some random person transferring from UCONN to UVA. It has no relevance to my interest in GTWBB.

I also acknowledge that this might get lost in the College and Pros forum. So, start a thread reading "ACC WBB News" and anyone who wants to read about random transfers can. Either that or the moderators need to stop over-moderating in other threads/forums.

All of my kids are back from college and trying to change the house rules because they're not used to having to be in at a certain time or to contribute to a household, so I'm in a very ornery mood post-Christmas.
Doesn't a transfer to (or from) UVA in some ways affect GT's competition in the ACC?

That's how I've viewed like-threads. While I have no clue as to the affect of this specific transfer, I appreciate those contributions in past threads because it makes me reevaluate GT's standing against scheduled opponents.

I also understand your POV, and I think it has merit. But we have a lot of precedent for the explanation I'm offering.

Edit: just got to @78pike's post sharing as much, rendering my post mostly redundant.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The other intended part of my response was, 'why would we create a dedicated women's basketball forum when there isn't a dedicated men's only forum?' This forum is not labeled 'men's basketball'. The volume of contributions effectively made it such.

I'm not married to that opinion, but my POV is this is GT basketball and does not discriminate.
I had a conversation last Spring with Nell Fortner where I introduced myself as a Ga Tech basketball fan. I meant both teams, but she agreed it sounded as if I was talking about the Men's team because fans of the Women's team are explicit about their fandom. To her point, if I Google "Georgia Tech basketball" there is not single hit on the first 2 pages about the Women's team. Not one. There is a "Related Searches" link at the bottom of page 2 for the Women's team, which implies it is something similar to what I am searching for, but the exact hit is the Men's team.

There is no question that the greater interest on the Swarm is for the men. I do not question that at all. But, at some point it is fair to ask if the Women's basketball sub-forum (if it existed) would get more interest if it were labeled as such.

slugboy

Staff member
Would it work OK if we had a GT WBB thread and an ACC WBB thread?

I’m personally fine with how this thread works now, but if it’s easier to split the BC/UVA/Louisville content, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s mostly Buzzbomb providing content anyway, and I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth—I love having the info, and I
would rather not make Buzzbomb have to attach a memo to the start of all the TPS reports.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I ain't really complaining, I was just being ornery. Feeling better now. But it's one of those things that kind of irks me sometimes, only sometimes. If it's not GT, then it's not GT. That's just me. I get others think otherwise.