GT & ACC WBB 2021-2022

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This is a good explanation. I would add to it.

Maj is not a PG and her play suffered having that responsibility. It says a lot about her character that she accepted the role and did her best to succeed. Bates is a skilled 3-point shooter, but I was disappointed in her overall play. Those are the only guards with the talent and experience to compete in what was the best ACC competition I have ever seen.

Teams learned during the season that our guards might score some points, but they were not going to be the winning factor. So, they concentrated on making life difficult for our forwards. We are not a good shooting team and depended on getiing points in the paint. Late in the season that became much more difficult.

If Maj returns we will have more talent outside than this year. But we will be very young in either case.
Fletcher did enter the portal. Answering the previous question.

Maj was our leader in three categories last season, as a 2G. As my buddy Scott reminds us, she has been the starter for the National Finland Teams(FIBA, Olympics, et al). Also, her first year here was at the Point. CMJ recruited her for PG. Spoke to a scout at one of the recent games, and he actually thinks her future would be at the PG position. She’s a work in progress from the 3 line. Coaches have worked last Fall with her, as much as Coach Page has with Nerea. We put too many minutes on her plate or for anyone against pressure. Lorella tried courageously to ease the burden. Agreed with our inconsistencies shooting from outside and feeding the post, while drawing fouls or hoops.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We seem to run short on a bench. I started following women’s bb a couple of years ago when coach Nell stated. Why do we have appearances of a team roster shorted than other ACC teams.
I think I can answer this, but welcome other opinions.

We began the season with two players/starters who did not play this year. One entered the portal and the other was injured. Neither is still with the program. Also, we have a couple of freshmen who will likely develop into decent players, but seem not quite ready for one or more reasons. That left us with seven players who could actually contriibute. Is that a short bench? Yes, but there was a considerable dropoff between #5 and #6, so Nell pushed the minutes hard with the first five.

Loyal McQueen started 21 games last year and averaged 9 ppg. Kierra Fletcher had started for four years (13 ppg in 2021) and planned to play her COVID bonus season in 2021-22, but sat out all season with an injury. McQueen transferred to Alabama. Fletcher has since graduated and moved on for grad school.

We have a great recruiting class coming in & there are some very interesting possibilities in the portal. Nell wanted a deeper roster, so I think this will correct itseelf next year.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck

We began the season with two players/starters who did not play this year. One entered the portal and the other was injured. Neither is still with the program. Also, we have a couple of freshmen who will likely develop into decent players, but seem not quite ready for one or more reasons. That left us with seven players who could actually contriibute. Is that a short bench? Yes, but there was a considerable dropoff between #5 and #6, so Nell pushed the minutes hard with the first five.

Loyal McQueen started 21 games last year and averaged 9 ppg. Kierra Fletcher had started for four years (13 ppg in 2021) and planned to play her COVID bonus season in 2021-22, but sat out all season with an injury. McQueen transferred to Alabama. Fletcher has since graduated and moved on for grad school.

We have a great recruiting class coming in & there are some very interesting possibilities in the portal. Nell wanted a deeper roster, so I think this will correct itseelf next year.
Thank you!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Yea I agree that it was more misfortune than purposeful strategy.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Was just getting ready to point out Nicole’s trip down South. Thank you @orientalnc !!

————————————————————————————————-

Georgia WBB signee Janiah Barker, 6-3 F, Montverde Academy (FL), announced today she's reopening her recruitment; that follows the decommitment of Diana Collins (2023) yesterday and Sarah Ashlee Barker entering the portal.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Lotta-Maj has signed with an agent. I misread your previous post to assume she had signed with a team. Either way, she is not coming back for her COVID year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@Buzzbomb

Do you know which women in the portal Nell & staff are contacting and getting interest? The defections at uga are very interesting, but I am sure they must be spreading their net much wider than Athens, GA. Thanks.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
No visits, yet. Three open schollies. If Clark graduates this Spring, that would be four- but since Hermosa would be the only Senior(and she could possibly play in 2023-24)CNF mIgor want to carry that one over?

On the other site, I’ve posted around 25-30 portal entries who may have an interest in G.T.? Detailing their numbers, team, position, eligibility left and height.
Thus far, zero targets. That could change quickly as the Final Four will be announced after tonight, more players go into the portal through late signing day.

Don‘t anticipate Tech going with Morgan and Dunn at the Guard spots as starters together. Therefore, a 2G that can score and has a handle would be sweet. A Graduate Transfer at the Point, and an inside presence both seem probable. Bulane needs more time. Harrison, too. I expect Carter to breakthrough. Aranaz, will have to get some more minutes. Blackshear has to play right away in the rotation. Hermosa in the Post, Love on the Wing, are both going to start. Boswell and Ines, we shall see where they fit in? Most likely, backup Guard play.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No visits, yet. Three open schollies. If Clark graduates this Spring, that would be four- but since Hermosa would be the only Senior(and she could possibly play in 2023-24)CNF mIgor want to carry that one over?

On the other site, I’ve posted around 25-30 portal entries who may have an interest in G.T.? Detailing their numbers, team, position, eligibility left and height.
Thus far, zero targets. That could change quickly as the Final Four will be announced after tonight, more players go into the portal through late signing day.

Don‘t anticipate Tech going with Morgan and Dunn at the Guard spots as starters together. Therefore, a 2G that can score and has a handle would be sweet. A Graduate Transfer at the Point, and an inside presence both seem probable. Bulane needs more time. Harrison, too. I expect Carter to breakthrough. Aranaz, will have to get some more minutes. Blackshear has to play right away in the rotation. Hermosa in the Post, Love on the Wing, are both going to start. Boswell and Ines, we shall see where they fit in? Most likely, backup Guard play.
Thanks for this post. I bet Nell & staff were focusing on rising seniors this weekend at the Spring Showdown in Atlanta. Lots of D1 talent there, including Melious.

For next year, in addition to Hermosa and Love, the starting five needs two players from the portal - a combo guard and a point guard. We also need another big to share minutes with Hermosa. All of these women need to be ready to play upon arrival. Barker from uga would be on my speed dial.

Which site is the "other site" to which you referred. I would like to follow your posts.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Hive, gojackets.com(I believe ‘Cuse is friends with Rod, so hopefully I’m not doing something improper here?). If that’s the case, Mods. please delete w/ my blessing. Font handle: kjmc15. About three threads going. Mainly 8-12 regulars, several years.

The staff was looking at AAU locally with Prospects Nation this past Saturday, you are correct. Our main activity in recruiting emphasis since the Kansas loss, has been on 2023, 2024, 2025. Most of the 2022’s have been claimed.

A few 2023’s have committed recently(Pitt. got a 2022), but hardly anything from the portal. I think a Grad. Trf. or two?

Last edited: