GT (-8.5) vs. Wake Forest

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Cole's smash block of a three point shot was killer!

Attachments

• pancake.jpg
    pancake.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 40

slugboy

Staff member
So, we seem to have been running a 5 out motion offense through the early part of the year, without a lot of the cuts to the basket: https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/cutters.html

I’d have to look again, but maybe we’re still running it, but more like Bob Huggins and less like I’ve seen Michigan run it.

There are some videos out there of Nova and WVU

(This is me kind of belatedly figuring out what we’ve been doing on offense this year, and it fits in with Pastner saying “positionless” so often)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Someone can look at Ken Pom but I would be shocked if we didn't play at a much higher tempo than we have so far this year. We pushed tempo like I haven't seen us do at all this year

The adjusted tempo for the game is 75.8 possessions, which would be in the top 10 for the season. Your eyes did not deceive you.

For the season, GT's adjusted tempo is 70.3, 136th nationally. Wake's is 69.8, 156th.

This team is better suited to push the ball than the last couple of years. Having Alvarado and Devoe, in particular, on the floor at the same time helps a lot.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Good win for Tech. We need to beat up on teams that are similar to us in regards talent. We get a real gut check Wednesday night.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
So, we seem to have been running a 5 out motion offense through the early part of the year, without a lot of the cuts to the basket: https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/cutters.html

I’d have to look again, but maybe we’re still running it, but more like Bob Huggins and less like I’ve seen Michigan run it.

There are some videos out there of Nova and WVU

(This is me kind of belatedly figuring out what we’ve been doing on offense this year, and it fits in with Pastner saying “positionless” so often)

"

Don't want to be argumentative, but we have very rarely run a 5 out offense. Our core offense is a 4 out motion offense that we can run as a "traditional" spacing and cut offense to get shooting/driving lanes or a modified Princeton look where we run cuts off the high post (the "Lammers" offense). Note that Banks is always inside the lane area. With a starting lineup of both Banks and Moses trying to run a 5 out offense would be difficult to say the least as no one would guard either one on the perimeter (a problem we have with Moses in the 4 out system and why I think Cole will eventually take his spot). In fact, we have experimented with a 3 out 2 in offense with Moses in the game. When Wake ran zone yesterday we essentially went to a 3 out / 2 in system if you remember Moses pass from the free throw line to Banks by the rim and his foul line jumper.

As an aside, Michigan also runs a 4 out offense though they run it very high (above the free throw line) in a 2-3 type of set with the 5 starting and operating from/around the free throw line.

The concept of "positionless" basketball usually focuses on the 4 spot and in simplistic terms means a stretch 4 that clears the lane area. Having a 5 that plays a true perimeter role (not just a pick and pop from 3) is really a rarity. Guys that can guard a true post player and on the other side legitimately run a perimeter role are really hard to find.

slugboy

Staff member
Don't want to be argumentative, but we have very rarely run a 5 out offense. Our core offense is a 4 out motion offense that we can run as a "traditional" spacing and cut offense to get shooting/driving lanes or a modified Princeton look where we run cuts off the high post (the "Lammers" offense). Note that Banks is always inside the lane area. With a starting lineup of both Banks and Moses trying to run a 5 out offense would be difficult to say the least as no one would guard either one on the perimeter (a problem we have with Moses in the 4 out system and why I think Cole will eventually take his spot). In fact, we have experimented with a 3 out 2 in offense with Moses in the game. When Wake ran zone yesterday we essentially went to a 3 out / 2 in system if you remember Moses pass from the free throw line to Banks by the rim and his foul line jumper.

As an aside, Michigan also runs a 4 out offense though they run it very high (above the free throw line) in a 2-3 type of set with the 5 starting and operating from/around the free throw line.

The concept of "positionless" basketball usually focuses on the 4 spot and in simplistic terms means a stretch 4 that clears the lane area. Having a 5 that plays a true perimeter role (not just a pick and pop from 3) is really a rarity. Guys that can guard a true post player and on the other side legitimately run a perimeter role are really hard to find.

I don’t feel argued with. I watched plenty of plays/games this season where we had no one inside the arc, and I was getting sick of calling it “5 guys standing around outside the arc passing the ball”. I think we were running it earlier this year, when Cole wasn’t getting much playing time.

I looked for an image from one of our earlier games, but nothing is coming up but close up action shots.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cole's smash block of a three point shot was killer!
Agreed.

And... just an observation.

If you get blocked at the 3 point line by a 6'9" PF who is not overly athletic... and that 6'9" dude is catching the ball on the way down from his jump... halfway up his forearm... it's probably not good shot selection.

Jussayin' Chaundee.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Agreed.

If you get blocked at the 3 point line by a 6'9" PF who is not overly athletic... and that 6'9" dude is catching the ball on the way down from his jump... halfway up his forearm... it's probably not good shot selection.

Jussayin' Chaundee.
He looked pretty athletic to me on that play, surprisingly so.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
Agreed.

Jussayin' Chaundee.

Have we unleashed https://awfulannouncing.com/2014/your-white-guy-code-word-power-rankings.html and http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search/label/david eckstein ?

Is he now "heady and cerebral"? "He's 6'9", but 6'5" of it is heart"? Is he a deceptively speedy grinder with intangibles?

I for one am glad he's a gym rat lunch pail guy who gets the most out of his abilities.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
For tonight key is whether they hit corner 3’s. We give them up and they can shoot. I expect that is where they will focus

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Have we unleashed https://awfulannouncing.com/2014/your-white-guy-code-word-power-rankings.html and http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search/label/david eckstein ?

Is he now "heady and cerebral"? "He's 6'9", but 6'5" of it is heart"? Is he a deceptively speedy grinder with intangibles?

I for one am glad he's a gym rat lunch pail guy who gets the most out of his abilities.
Hah, but just to be clear, no. My comments on athletic ability are based on speed, quick-twitch, strength, quick ups, etc.

Is Cole more athletic than your average basketball player? Yes. Is he athletic by ACC standards? Not really.

Same way Brandon Alston is not that athletic. And I'd rather not continue down the rest of our roster.