GT (-8.5) vs. Wake Forest

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It sure is nice to not HAVE to depend on DEF to win games.The only real weakness I saw was DEF rebs.They got 14 boards vs us.
How long will it be before Defoe has a triple double? prob ,next yr? or will Jose beat him to it?

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I looked at the stat sheet and this year they are doing the plus minus thing. I’m not into all the analytics but can someone explain how that is calculated to me? I didn’t get to see the game but Alston was a minus 2 but shot over 50% from the field didn’t miss a foul shot and had only one turnover. I get the criticism on his defense and when he drives out of of control but seems he had a good game to me. Why was he negative?

slugboy

Staff member
Not sure if this has been posted — Devoe is above 2.5 BPM as a frosh (#45)

@Cosmis: BPM leaderboard for all Freshmen entering play on 1/5

1 Zion Williamson, Duke (20.2)
2 Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa St (12.0)
3 Neemias Queta, Utah St (9.9)
4 Josh LeBlanc, Georgetown (9.3)
5 Moses Brown, UCLA (9.1)
6 Jalen Smith, Maryland (8.8)
7 Isaiah Joe, Arkansas (7.8)
@Cosmis: 42 Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
43 Andrew Nembhard, Florida
45 Michael Devoe, Georgia Tech
46 Wynston Tabbs, Boston College
46 Antoine Davis, Detroit
49 AJ Lawson, South Carolina
55 Simi ****tu, Vanderbilt
57 Luguentz Dort, Arizona St

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I looked at the stat sheet and this year they are doing the plus minus thing. I’m not into all the analytics but can someone explain how that is calculated to me? I didn’t get to see the game but Alston was a minus 2 but shot over 50% from the field didn’t miss a foul shot and had only one turnover. I get the criticism on his defense and when he drives out of of control but seems he had a good game to me. Why was he negative?

I’m also interested in hearing how this rating system works. If I’m not mistaken, I think that it is largely based on how the team performs when that player is in the game.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

I think this particular version of plus/minus that you are referring to is simply the total points gained or lost while a particular player was in the game. There are other versions of plus/minus that are much more sophisticated.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this particular version of plus/minus that you are referring to is simply the total points gained or lost while a particular player was in the game. There are other versions of plus/minus that are much more sophisticated.

To be clear, the total point differential while a particular player was in the game. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great crowd today. We had a great time, and it was a fun game from beginning to end (always fun when you get that W). I didn’t really get the lull in the second half as mentioned above. The crowd seemed to get really loud on a few possessions down the stretch. When Cole blocked the 3pt attempt, that’s probably as loud as it has been this season. The top was ready to blow if Curt had knocked down that transition 3.

Few other observations:

I’m turning into a big fan of Evan Cole. Not a lot of flash, but the kid plays hard all the time, plays smart, and he is getting better and better. Pastner has said many times that he was going to be a good player, it almost sounded like coach speech, but I’m becoming a believer.

The rotation seems to be settling into place. I think the lineup with Evan, Jose, Devoe, Moore, and Banks is our most effective in both ends. That said, I felt like we got strong efforts from everyone.

It seems that we are much more comfortable on offense over the past 3-4 games. We’ve shot it at a high percentage and have really shared the ball. I think CPJ said 74 assists on 90 something baskets. That’s very impressive. There were a lot of nice drives and dump-off’s today that created dunks for Big James! Lot of good looks for open 3’s that just didn’t fall but we created a good look.

Nice performance today with a big lift from the crowd. Hopefully we get that same energy on Wednesday night. We’re gonna need it as VT is very good!

Go Jackets!!

slugboy

Staff member
I’m linking two sources. Worth going to the sources

https://www.iscoresports.com/basketball/kb/faq_general/what_is_pm.php

Plus/Minus (PM): The PM stat is "Plus/Minus", and reflects how the team did while that player is on the court. If a player has a +5 PM, it means his team outscored the opponent by 5 points while he was on the court. If he has a -3, then the opposing team outscored his team by 3 points while he was on the court.

Efficiency (EFF): (points+rebounds+assists+blocks+steals)-((field_goals_attempted-field_goals_made)+(free_throws_attempted-free_throws_made)+turnovers)

Effective Field Goal % (eFG%): (field_goals_made + 0.5*three_pointers_made) / field_goals_attempted

True Shooting Attempts (TSA): field_goals_attempted + (0.44 * free_throws_attempted)

True Shooting % (TS%): points / (2 * TSA)

Game Score (GmSc): (points + (0.4 * field_goals_made) - (0.7 * field_goals_attempted) - (0.4 * (free_throws_attempted - free_throws_made)) + (0.7 * offensive_rebounds) + (0.3 * defensive_rebounds) + steals + (0.7 * assists) + (0.7 * blocks) - (0.4 * personal_fouls) - turnovers) / games

Here’s another source with more info. In the NBA, being +2.5 means you’re a really good player. Lebron had an 8.9
https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html

About Box Plus/Minus (BPM)

by Daniel Myers, creator of Box Plus/Minus
What is Box Plus/Minus?
Box Plus/Minus (BPM) is a box score-based metric for evaluating basketball players' quality and contribution to the team. It is the latest version of a stat previously called Advanced Statistical Plus/Minus; it is NOT a version of Adjusted Plus/Minus, which is a play-by-play regression metric.

BPM relies on a player's box score information and the team's overall performance to estimate a player's performance relative to league average. BPM is a per-100-possession stat, the same scale as Adjusted Plus/Minus: 0.0 is league average, +5 means the player is 5 points better than an average player over 100 possessions (which is about All-NBA level), -2 is replacement level, and -5 is really bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Someone can look at Ken Pom but I would be shocked if we didn't play at a much higher tempo than we have so far this year. We pushed tempo like I haven't seen us do at all this year. The upshot was a more open shots than we have had playing in the half court. To be able to do that and still play good D (Childress circus shots notwithstanding) is what we have to do going forward. Playing half court offense with our team right now sucks. Everything is hard and you can't win like that.

I thought both Moses and Cole played well. Cole was obvious in the second half but Moses made the right decisions and some really solid plays in the first half. That will be interesting to see how that competition plays out.

Banks was good for sure but he showed again he has to get the ball close to the basket to be effective. I was surprised WF didn't really muscle up on him like St Johns and others did.

Good win - like others said it was good to see us make them pay for the Valvano strategy.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
Great crowd today. We had a great time, and it was a fun game from beginning to end (always fun when you get that W). I didn’t really get the lull in the second half as mentioned above. The crowd seemed to get really loud on a few possessions down the stretch. When Cole blocked the 3pt attempt, that’s probably as loud as it has been this season. The top was ready to blow if Curt had knocked down that transition 3.

Few other observations:

I’m turning into a big fan of Evan Cole. Not a lot of flash, but the kid plays hard all the time, plays smart, and he is getting better and better. Pastner has said many times that he was going to be a good player, it almost sounded like coach speech, but I’m becoming a believer.

The rotation seems to be settling into place. I think the lineup with Evan, Jose, Devoe, Moore, and Banks is our most effective in both ends. That said, I felt like we got strong efforts from everyone.

It seems that we are much more comfortable on offense over the past 3-4 games. We’ve shot it at a high percentage and have really shared the ball. I think CPJ said 74 assists on 90 something baskets. That’s very impressive. There were a lot of nice drives and dump-off’s today that created dunks for Big James! Lot of good looks for open 3’s that just didn’t fall but we created a good look.

Nice performance today with a big lift from the crowd. Hopefully we get that same energy on Wednesday night. We’re gonna need it as VT is very good!

Go Jackets!!

I agree about Evan. I've always liked him as the type who can develop into an important contributor as an upperclassman. He's showing flashes of being ahead of that expectation/hope. I think his minutes will continue to increase as we get deeper into the conference schedule.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
Someone can look at Ken Pom but I would be shocked if we didn't play at a much higher tempo than we have so far this year. We pushed tempo like I haven't seen us do at all this year. The upshot was a more open shots than we have had playing in the half court. To be able to do that and still play good D (Childress circus shots notwithstanding) is what we have to do going forward. Playing half court offense with our team right now sucks. Everything is hard and you can't win like that.

Not to be a wet blanket but Wake is a terrible defensive team, especially in transition. It seems they have been so ever since Manning took that job. I hope we can execute with tempo against the rest of the league, but I wouldn't place any large wagers on it.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m linking two sources. Worth going to the sources

https://www.iscoresports.com/basketball/kb/faq_general/what_is_pm.php

Plus/Minus (PM): The PM stat is "Plus/Minus", and reflects how the team did while that player is on the court. If a player has a +5 PM, it means his team outscored the opponent by 5 points while he was on the court. If he has a -3, then the opposing team outscored his team by 3 points while he was on the court.

Efficiency (EFF): (points+rebounds+assists+blocks+steals)-((field_goals_attempted-field_goals_made)+(free_throws_attempted-free_throws_made)+turnovers)

Effective Field Goal % (eFG%): (field_goals_made + 0.5*three_pointers_made) / field_goals_attempted

True Shooting Attempts (TSA): field_goals_attempted + (0.44 * free_throws_attempted)

True Shooting % (TS%): points / (2 * TSA)

Game Score (GmSc): (points + (0.4 * field_goals_made) - (0.7 * field_goals_attempted) - (0.4 * (free_throws_attempted - free_throws_made)) + (0.7 * offensive_rebounds) + (0.3 * defensive_rebounds) + steals + (0.7 * assists) + (0.7 * blocks) - (0.4 * personal_fouls) - turnovers) / games

Here’s another source with more info. In the NBA, being +2.5 means you’re a really good player. Lebron had an 8.9
https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html

About Box Plus/Minus (BPM)

by Daniel Myers, creator of Box Plus/Minus
What is Box Plus/Minus?
Box Plus/Minus (BPM) is a box score-based metric for evaluating basketball players' quality and contribution to the team. It is the latest version of a stat previously called Advanced Statistical Plus/Minus; it is NOT a version of Adjusted Plus/Minus, which is a play-by-play regression metric.

BPM relies on a player's box score information and the team's overall performance to estimate a player's performance relative to league average. BPM is a per-100-possession stat, the same scale as Adjusted Plus/Minus: 0.0 is league average, +5 means the player is 5 points better than an average player over 100 possessions (which is about All-NBA level), -2 is replacement level, and -5 is really bad.

Thank you slug. Interesting that this is now on the tech stat sheet but maybe I haven’t paid attention. Just seems a weird stat if as a player you do everything right but the other team out scores or outtalents you and you get a negative rating. So Childress goes 7 of 10 from 3 land doesn’t miss a foul shot only 1 turnover for 28 and has a neg rating. Seems dumb to me. I guess I hope our guys get all positives in the future.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not to be a wet blanket but Wake is a terrible defensive team, especially in transition. It seems they have been so ever since Manning took that job. I hope we can execute with tempo against the rest of the league, but I wouldn't place any large wagers on it.

You are a wet blanket :p but I do agree/understand there was a reason we were an 8 point favorite over them. They ain't real good.

Bottom line we have to get some easy baskets going forward like we did today.

Deleted member 2897

Man I remember the Barry brothers and their no look passes. Jon I think it was whipped one from outside the top of the key into the paint that we weren’t ready for and it hit a ball girl right square in the face. They had to temporarily stop the game. It seemed like they had a few of those every single dang game.

slugboy

Staff member

The way I often see it used is comparing lineups. In Childress’ case, you’d compare the lineup with him to the one without (and see it plummet without him).

(Subject change)
I was glad the last two games to see us move away from the static three point shooting around the arc offense we’d been playing. This style suits us better.

To the comment another poster made that Wake plays bad defense and we can’t count on scoring 92 against tough competition, we’ve been scoring between 65-70 points a lot, regardless of the competition. Scoring 92 is out of character for us against any defense. This was a good thing and a good game for us.

I’m really happy to see Devoe coming into his own as a player. So many of the early games he wasn’t scoring even though his form looked great. Now, he’s connecting.

I’m also glad to see Cole have good back to back games. Earlier this season, he looked uncomfortable on the court (to me). Now, the way we’re playing offense and defense, Cole and Banks can make good plays on both sides.

I’m glad to see Jose getting assists.

Big, positive step

‘Night, y’all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Man I remember the Barry brothers and their no look passes. Jon I think it was whipped one from outside the top of the key into the paint that we weren’t ready for and it hit a ball girl right square in the face. They had to temporarily stop the game. It seemed like they had a few of those every single dang game.
The Barry brothers were great.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Cole's continued development can make this team a force to be reckoned with. Nice to see we played within ourselves most of the game and reduced our turn overs. Loved CGC's appearance at half. I see synergism with CJP & CGC.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk