GT (+8.0) vs. #10 Virginia Tech

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He was trying to fire the ball down most of the court with ~3 seconds left to score. He stepped big to pass big--it was a long pass. He needed to be farther behind the line when he started, but that's probably not how he practices.

That wasn't the thing that bothered me most about the play. The thing that bothered me most was, down three with 1.8 seconds left, why throw it to someone inside the three-point line? And, why is anyone inside the three-point line? He threw it to a guy in the lane.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
That wasn't the thing that bothered me most about the play. The thing that bothered me most was, down three with 1.8 seconds left, why throw it to someone inside the three-point line? And, why is anyone inside the three-point line? He threw it to a guy in the lane.

It looked like they were going for the quick kick out pass from Banks to an open shooter.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the way VT played and give some credit to our defense, we should have won this by 6-10 points ... beyond Alvarado, didn't see much to be excited about.
I would have thought by year three we'd have a little more talent around ...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the way VT played and give some credit to our defense, we should have won this by 6-10 points ... beyond Alvarado, didn't see much to be excited about.
I would have thought by year three we'd have a little more talent around ...

I don't know much about basketball, so my uninformed opinion may well be wrong about this, but these guys look fairly talented but poorly coached. Just too many unforced errors.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of which, let’s please don’t be like how some of their fans were last night. I had a group of a couple guys who seemed drunk with their faces painted screaming at the top of their lungs seated right behind me. It was totally obnoxious. Next to me was a 12-year-old boy and his father. When we were doing the yellow jackets cheer, the 12-year-old boy would yell “SUCK!” After we would yell yellow jackets. The father had no problem with it. When we travel to other peoples places let’s not act like fools like that.

If those were the two in section 105, about 6-7 rows behind the backboard, yeah, they were total bottom-feeders. At one point in the second half, when one of our players (Alvarado?) was shooting a free throw, they shouted out at the last second to try to distract him. Okay, fair enough; a visitor who buys seats right behind the basket has that prerogative, I guess. But to my ears, one section away, it sounded like they shouted "jigaboo", which as I know it is a racial slur (perhaps they were too clueless to realize that). My wife turned to me and commented that she had heard the same thing.

Had I been sitting close enough to be sure that's what they actually said, I would have called security on them for shouting a slur at one of our players.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't give the students too much credit. There was a TV, xBox giveaway after the game and that's why they were there early. I don't know how many weekday games you make it to, but a 7:00 start time generally guarantees a late crowd . . . . Atlanta traffic mostly to blame. I made it on time from Gainesville but it was close and that was only because of my Peach Pass.

The students get full credit for being awesome in my book. I don't care if Pastner has to give away 5 tv's, an Xbox, PS4 and Nintendo Switch at every game. Having a loud student section is essential. I'm convinced that the atmosphere inside McCamish made a big difference last night. I have seen it go the other way too many times, where the small opposing team fanbase inside the arena takes over and essentially runs our fans and our team out of our own house. The VT fans tried to get their HOKIE chant going a couple of times, but thank goodness we shut them down.

The atmosphere wasn't enough to overcome the refs and our own mistakes, but it made a huge difference.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
If those were the two in section 105, about 6-7 rows behind the backboard, yeah, they were total bottom-feeders. At one point in the second half, when one of our players (Alvarado?) was shooting a free throw, they shouted out at the last second to try to distract him. Okay, fair enough; a visitor who buys seats right behind the basket has that prerogative, I guess. But to my ears, one section away, it sounded like they shouted "jigaboo", which as I know it is a racial slur (perhaps they were too clueless to realize that). My wife turned to me and commented that she had heard the same thing.

Had I been sitting close enough to be sure that's what they actually said, I would have called security on them for shouting a slur at one of our players.

I saw those two orange morons behind the goal in section 105. The best thing to do about those idiots is to beat them at their own game. You don't have to use foul language and act like an *$$ like they do, just get loud and make them irrelevant.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If a single other person than Jose and AD laced up their shoes tonight, we would have won that. VT couldn’t have played worse.

Couldn't have played worse?? How about giving credit to our defense? We held them to 29 points below their season average.

That's not them playing bad, as much as it is us playing great defense.

Deleted member 2897

I was in section 100. Sounds like there were quite a few morons there last night.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

I tried my best to keep them at bay with my cheering. I shut them up a few times.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our offensive woes came from those groupings, from Devoe being OK but not near what we hoped/what we need and not having anyone - including Jose - who can break down their defender and kick (not that we have anyone who can make a shot). Not even getting to the end of the game theatrics - we need a perimeter player who can drive and kick. It was so freaking open all game long but we can't do it.

I know that you are probably aware of this, many here are not, but CJP talks about having limitations on offense, this is exactly what he is referring too.

That's is 100% what is missing, and that is why the loss of Josh Okogie is what is keeping us from being a tournament team this year.

Deleted member 2897

I tried my best to keep them at bay with my cheering. I shut them up a few times.

One time after a VPISU free throw, Alston went to switch sides and the VPISU free throw shooter stiff armed him when he came through. I stood up like “how is that not a foul?” And a VPISU fan (a third I haven’t mentioned yet) started yelling at me that it’s a technical foul to walk into the lane between free throws. I don’t know if it is or isn’t, I thought you could switch sides with one of your teammates. But that’s up for the Refs to make a call on. The opposing team doesn’t have the right to throw stiff arms. And why was that guy yelling at me at an away court where he is a guest? Bold moves on their behalf.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
By the way, where was Haywood tonight...ill...injured? Could have made a difference

Missing Curt really came back to haunt us tonight. VT guards were collapsing anytime the ball went into the paint, whether it was an entry pass to the post or drive.

He would have gotten a ton of open looks on kick outs, and that is probably Curt spotted up in the corner vs. AD at the end of the game

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are a young team and playing VT and UT close. Next year we will be good. People need to relax on the criticism, until then. We knew we had a long road to rebuild, and we are seeing things come together. This 2020 class is important, please CJP sign some studs.

That's the thing that kills me with the board! We've got a young team filled with limited experience , we nearly upset a top 10 team that is 13-1, and the Negative Nellies are out in full force?

Some of the comments really have me scratching my head....This is all part of the process. Yeah, it sucks to lose this game, we definitely let it get away, but we are heading in the right direction.

Please pump your brakes with all of the negativity. It's tiresome.

Last edited:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
That's the thing that kills me with the board! We've got a young team filled with limited experience , we nearly upset a top 10 team that is 13-1, and the Negative Nellies are out in full force?

Some of the comments really have me scratching my head....This is all part of the process. Yeah, it sucks to lose this game, we definitely let it get away, but we are heading in the right direction.

Please pump your brakes with all of the negativity. It's tiresome.

Heading in the right direction, after 11-12 years ... congrats, you are definitely a patient man !!