GT (+8.0) vs. #10 Virginia Tech

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Another random thing I noticed (sorry if it was already posted): Khalid Moore kept getting called for mostly BS fouls, but Josh never took him out. He got his 4th foul with like 8 minutes left IN THE FIRST HALF...and Josh still left him in. Ballsy.

FWIW on his call in show, it was brought up that Pastner has either the highest or one of the highest % of minutes played by players with 2 fouls in the first half. Pastner commented that he felt like it did no good to save anyone as they simply got tight on the bench and bad things happened. So he doesn't "save" folks with foul trouble. A different approach for sure

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW on his call in show, it was brought up that Pastner has either the highest or one of the highest % of minutes played by players with 2 fouls in the first half. Pastner commented that he felt like it did no good to save anyone as they simply got tight on the bench and bad things happened. So he doesn't "save" folks with foul trouble. A different approach for sure

Outside of Alvarado, Banks, and maybe Devoe what is there really to save? If anyone else fouls out it really makes no difference to this team.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
This loss wasn’t heartbreaking, it was infuriating. So many missed opportunities, save the bank 3 by Roberson and the poor officiating.

Good
- Alvarado played with such toughness and kept us in the game in the first half
- Defense was exceptional - agree they snagged way too many rebounds but it’s tough to rebound out of a zone, especially when a lot of misses are from 3
- Crowd was amazing. Just unbelievable

Bad
- Missed at least 4 point blank layups (3 - James, 1 - Gueye) - 8 points would have been helpful last night
- Carelessness was costly - a lot of turnovers that you can’t have, especially ones where your PG steps on the sideline with no one within 8 ft of him
- Purpose on offense wasn’t there - a lot of purposeless dribbling, driving the shot clock down, and being forced into taking a bad shot

Overall, this game was something we’ve all seen before. Huge missed opportunity to steal one from a top 10 team at home - we have to start operating differently. We’ll keep missing out on these potentially great moments and opportunities to position ourselves for success in the league until we change the way we do things and become a more disciplined basketball team, especially on the offensive end.

Deleted member 2897

This loss wasn’t heartbreaking, it was infuriating. So many missed opportunities, save the bank 3 by Roberson and the poor officiating.

Good
- Defense was exceptional - agree they snagged way too many rebounds but it’s tough to rebound out of a zone, especially when a lot of misses are from 3

Bad
- Missed at least 4 point blank layups (3 - James, 1 - Gueye) - 8 points would have been helpful last night
- Carelessness was costly - a lot of turnovers that you can’t have, especially ones where your PG steps on the sideline with no one within 8 ft of him
- Purpose on offense wasn’t there - a lot of purposeless dribbling, driving the shot clock down, and being forced into taking a bad shot

Overall, this game was something we’ve all seen before. Huge missed opportunity to steal one from a top 10 team at home - we have to start operating differently. We’ll keep missing out on these potentially great moments and opportunities to position ourselves for success in the league until we change the way we do things and become a more disciplined basketball team, especially on the offensive end.

Well written. Last night was my first chance to see a game live this year, and if I were to write a detailed summary, I would pretty much write the same thing. We have a few folks like Devoe who seem a touch too passive for me. Yet then we have folks like Moses who don’t need to be Drive penetrating, and end up getting multiple senseless turnovers. In my opinion, we are really close to being a 20 win team. This team needs to be one year older and have each player marginally clean up their game. And/or, just one to two more top 100-125 players could do it too.

Man I’d rather see Banks miss dunks then miss little layups. When you’re right under the basket and as tall as he is, you got to give a dunk a go.

The students were in their seats full down courtside and behind the basket way way early before tip off. The rest of the crowd was eventually good, but didn’t seem to get to their seats fully until halfway through the first half. About five minutes before tip off, the student sections were full, and if I had to ball park it I would say the rest of the arena was 20% full. It was pretty embarrassing, especially considering I was surrounded by a bunch of VPISU people.

Speaking of which, let’s please don’t be like how some of their fans were last night. I had a group of a couple guys who seemed drunk with their faces painted screaming at the top of their lungs seated right behind me. It was totally obnoxious. Next to me was a 12-year-old boy and his father. When we were doing the yellow jackets cheer, the 12-year-old boy would yell “SUCK!” After we would yell yellow jackets. The father had no problem with it. When we travel to other peoples places let’s not act like fools like that.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Good

Bad

Bad: Free Throws. After being money against Wake we go 9-16. Alvarado goes 0-2 at one point and Mike misses the front end of a crucial 1 and 1.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe I have gold colored glasses, but I think the defense was excellent and the effort was super. Few have mentioned the absence of Heywood. I think it really impacted us especially when Alston and Moore got into foul trouble. That's why we had odd combinations on the floor. Officiating was a bad as I have seen and the top 10 team got most of the bad calls going their way. At the end of the game we showed our youth and inexperience. Devoe struggled mightily all game and is, in my opinion, too passive in looking for his shot. He took the ball down the lane near the end and passed to AD for a three from the corner. Since he had one miracle last night, the second one did not go in. If that was Curtis, perhaps we get a different result. Would rather see Devoe finish that drive than make that pass. The missed front ends and the missed layups killed us. We are young in age and lack this type of game experience but we have a lot of heart and our guys are improving.

Deleted member 2897

Maybe I have gold colored glasses, but I think the defense was excellent and the effort was super. Few have mentioned the absence of Heywood. I think it really impacted us especially when Alston and Moore got into foul trouble. That's why we had odd combinations on the floor. Officiating was a bad as I have seen and the top 10 team got most of the bad calls going their way. At the end of the game we showed our youth and inexperience. Devoe struggled mightily all game and is, in my opinion, too passive in looking for his shot. He took the ball down the lane near the end and passed to AD for a three from the corner. Since he had one miracle last night, the second one did not go in. If that was Curtis, perhaps we get a different result. Would rather see Devoe finish that drive than make that pass. The missed front ends and the missed layups killed us. We are young in age and lack this type of game experience but we have a lot of heart and our guys are improving.

Speaking of the Refs, did I mention that they can kiss my smelly dirty unwashed backside?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I guess Pastner will be reviewing with the team that you can't touch the end line when bringing the ball into play. Shades of Hewitt!

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
We are a young team and playing VT and UT close. Next year we will be good. People need to relax on the criticism, until then. We knew we had a long road to rebuild, and we are seeing things come together. This 2020 class is important, please CJP sign some studs.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Bad: Free Throws. After being money against Wake we go 9-16. Alvarado goes 0-2 at one point and Mike misses the front end of a crucial 1 and 1.

That’s the part that infuriates me.

At least with the missed layups the other team is contesting the shot. Still not good misses, though.

No excuse for a college player to miss that many FTs.

And turnovers, too. We had twice as many as VT.

Missed FTs and turnovers were the difference.

Deleted member 2897

That’s the part that infuriates me.

At least with the missed layups the other team is contesting the shot. Still not good misses, though.

No excuse for a college player to miss that many FTs.

And turnovers, too. We had twice as many as VT.

Missed FTs and turnovers were the difference.

I don’t remember the final tally, you can look it up in the box score, but offensive rebounds were something like 15-3. Several times I watched the play inside of what people would do when someone took a shot, and they were almost like defeating blocks in football – they were very good about pushing their way into open space without fouling...generally speaking.

slugboy

Staff member
I guess Pastner will be reviewing with the team that you can't touch the end line when bringing the ball into play. Shades of Hewitt!
He was trying to fire the ball down most of the court with ~3 seconds left to score. He stepped big to pass big--it was a long pass. He needed to be farther behind the line when he started, but that's probably not how he practices.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The students were in their seats full down courtside and behind the basket way way early before tip off. The rest of the crowd was eventually good, but didn’t seem to get to their seats fully until halfway through the first half. About five minutes before tip off, the student sections were full, and if I had to ball park it I would say the rest of the arena was 20% full. It was pretty embarrassing, especially considering I was surrounded by a bunch of VPISU people.

Don't give the students too much credit. There was a TV, xBox giveaway after the game and that's why they were there early. I don't know how many weekday games you make it to, but a 7:00 start time generally guarantees a late crowd . . . . Atlanta traffic mostly to blame. I made it on time from Gainesville but it was close and that was only because of my Peach Pass.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pastner stated that he is focused on the defensive end and will give up offensive rebounds to make sure they are back to stop teams in transition. So part of the lack of offensive rebounding is intentional. Hopefully as we get older and a bit more athletic we don't have to do that in order to stay in front of teams like VT.

Specific to TOs - when you only have 2 players on the court who can dribble the basketball it isn't that unexpected to see a ton of TOs. IMHO that stat was a direct outcome of the fact we had 3 big non ball handlers on the court most/a lot of the game. Weird combinations. Not that we are a great ball handling team even at full strength but Haywood being out last night hurt in that department.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
This is crazy to me. I understand being frustrated about losing a game where if any 1 of about 10 different things went right we would have beat the #9 team in the country, but it's the same people complaining who want us to be back at an ACC level of play. That's it buddy. Sure stupid mistakes, emotional moments frustration etc. It's not Pastner's fault, or Mike's, James', or even AD's fault. I went and rewatched that last play and it was poised to be a thing of beauty. It was a lob to Banks and a streaking Jose was running toward him for the 3 point shot. One thing I never saw was AD stepping on the line. Wish they would have showed that so I could have some closure.

If we want to be good, we're going to have to lose some close games. Hope we win some too, but I think that game was a step forward more than it was a step backwards.