GT (+7.5) vs. Miami

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Is this worse than the Morrison / Dodd a.d. days?

We are in a great recruiting area, great facilities, great conference, our instate rival is a mbb wasteland, play a great schedule for potential fans.

Of all our teams - MBB should be the one consistently competing for greatness.
I was too young to know about those days. I became a fan when I was 7/8 in 1985. We had a great 10 year stretch, minus the loss to Southern and getting left out in 95 (I think) After Marbury left, we’ve pretty much been irrelevant. Especially the last 8-10 years.
2004 was great, 05 was a let down. 07 and 2010 were a waste. It’s hard to see how far off the program has fallen. Hell, no one under 30 really knows what this program was really about. I guess the last 10 years have beat me down but I don’t see any way Pastner fixes this and I think we’re looking at another 2-4 years of **** product. I hope like hell im wrong but I’ve become numb to even caring anymore. Sad to saw that too....

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow

We are in a great recruiting area, great facilities, great conference, our instate rival is a mbb wasteland, play a great schedule for potential fans.

No, not by a long shot. I witnessed both. This team is better coached, more talented, and more fun to watch. Which probably says more about Tech’s teams under CDM than anything else.

It is frustrating to watch our offensive woes, but, as others have said, we are really close to being competitive. A few shots dropping would have improved our record by at least 5-6 wins. But obviously we need more talent. The ACC has no easy games.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
To me, the progress has been more disappointing than anything else. I thought the first two Pastner teams competed hard, maximized their talent, and continually got better. Not so this year. We basically have three ACC level players in Alvarado, Devoe, and Banks. Yet, after nearly 30 games, we can't seem to get them on the same page at all. Banks and Alvarado especially just seem to be taking turns slumping. It is frustrating to watch.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

UGA isn't a MBB wasteland for long with this get of Anthony Edwards. Even if he goes one and done, I fully expect a lot more area AAU stars to follow his path since he's an idol around here.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, the progress has been more disappointing than anything else. I thought the first two Pastner teams competed hard, maximized their talent, and continually got better. Not so this year. We basically have three ACC level players in Alvarado, Devoe, and Banks. Yet, after nearly 30 games, we can't seem to get them on the same page at all. Banks and Alvarado especially just seem to be taking turns slumping. It is frustrating to watch.

Don't slight AD. He has become an ACC level player. He is a legit low post scorer with definitely the best post moves on this team and, in my opinion, some of the best post moves in the conference. He isn't rock solid consistent, but no one on this team is. Unfortunately, he will be gone next season. Other than that, I understand why you are frustrated with this team's level.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
On the bright side: Jose has been balling out the last 3 games averaging 22 ppg (17, 29, 20). Hope his slump is officially behind him and he plays at his current level the rest of the season. Devoe is shooting a great percentage from 3 since ACC play started (over 40% in 15 games). He still needs to be more aggressive and needs to clean up some of his freshmen mistakes, but I think that will happen with time and experience. Banks has been a pleasant surprise on both ends of the court, although his inconsistency and his bad hands have cost us at times and need improvement.

Everyone else is meh or worse. At least Sjolund is finally contributing a few made 3's. Wright has finally strung together a couple of ok to good games (shocked), but he still makes some of the worst/dumbest plays I have ever seen from a D1 player. I think Cole and Moore have more to show/offer if they get more playing time and experience. AD... like I said above, I like him, and it's a shame he will be gone next year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Why, though? Do you see anything that gives you hope? Not trying to stir the pot, really hoping there is something to wait for.

You just can’t fire a guy after 32 months when your program looked the way it did when he took it over.

That tells other coaches that you need to come in to Georgia Tech land recruits now and win now and if you don’t we will run you off. Not very appealing. Not to mention the job wasn’t very appealing 32 months ago when we went with our...5th? 6th option?

The man wanted to be here when no one else did. The man believed in this program when no one else did. He has a group that should be a bubble team next year. If they aren’t, I’m fully on board with moving on. When we hired him he said it was a 5 year rebuild. I’ll give him 4.

The other thing that annoys me is that some of y’all wanna do it clean. Let me be clear, I’d hire Rick Pitino tomorrow if he wanted to come here. No question, cmon over. I don’t give a damn about dirt, all in the game. No one does it clean. Recruiting is dirty. You wanna pay 1.9 MM for Mr Clean, to quote a member on this board I had a conversation with a week ago, you get what you pay for.

At least he’s better than BG

herb

Helluva Engineer
You just can’t fire a guy after 32 months when your program looked the way it did when he took it over.

That tells other coaches that you need to come in to Georgia Tech land recruits now and win now and if you don’t we will run you off. Not very appealing. Not to mention the job wasn’t very appealing 32 months ago when we went with our...5th? 6th option?

The man wanted to be here when no one else did. The man believed in this program when no one else did. He has a group that should be a bubble team next year. If they aren’t, I’m fully on board with moving on. When we hired him he said it was a 5 year rebuild. I’ll give him 4.

The other thing that annoys me is that some of y’all wanna do it clean. Let me be clear, I’d hire Rick Pitino tomorrow if he wanted to come here. No question, cmon over. I don’t give a damn about dirt, all in the game. No one does it clean. Recruiting is dirty. You wanna pay 1.9 MM for Mr Clean, to quote a member on this board I had a conversation with a week ago, you get what you pay for.

Thanks and those are good reasons.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

Disagree with you on Pitino, but agree with everything else you said. To me, there is playing the normal recruiting game and then there are guys who I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole (Pitino, Pearl, Capel).

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Disagree with you on Pitino, but agree with everything else you said. To me, there is playing the normal recruiting game and then there are guys who I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole (Pitino, Pearl, Capel).

Rick Pitino would would have us in the S16 in 3 years.

As my old Florida boss used to say: “I don’t want to hear the labor pains I just want to see the baby”

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Don't slight AD. He has become an ACC level player. He is a legit low post scorer with definitely the best post moves on this team and, in my opinion, some of the best post moves in the conference. He isn't rock solid consistent, but no one on this team is. Unfortunately, he will be gone next season. Other than that, I understand why you are frustrated with this team's level.

I agree.

So why is Banks getting so much more playing time than AD? Banks was 0-1 yesterday for zero points in 30 minutes of PT. Don't tell me it's for defense; we gave up 85 points. In fact, don't tell me defense will keep us in games; it didn't yesterday. (this commentary isn't directed at you gte).

I have been a Pastner supporter but I started moving toward neutral after FSU. We had 30 points in 33 minutes. Extrapolate that to a 40 minute game and we were on pace to score 37 points for the game. Contrary to Mark Bradley's article, we aren't THAT devoid of talent. FSU cleared the bench in the last 7 minutes and the refs decided to give us 6 points at the free throw line in the last 3:13 (13% of our points for the game) to make the pitiful offensive showing look a little better than it actually was.

We didn't just lose to Clemson and FSU at home this month. We were blown out. It's near the end of the season and we aren't seeing progress that you would expect from good coaching.

Moore played 1 minute yesterday. Two starters, Banks and Sjolund, combined for 4 points.

More than anything, I don't understand Pastner's personnel decisions.

Deleted member 2897

Coach Josh Pastner Has won ACC Coach of the Year half his seasons here. :D.

Also, he won’t be fired for at least 2 more years.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I think AD is a legit ACC bench player, but wouldn't be in contentions to start for any other team. His improvement over 4 years has been absolutely fantastic and I definitely agree he is the fourth best player on the team and ahead of everyone else by a long shot. I don't even know who I would put 5th.

GT11

GT Athlete

FYI - Morrison didn’t have the money or facilities. Had to use camp money to recruit. Did have the knowledge. Dean, Knight and others called on a regular basis to pick his mind

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We must have some of the most uneven practices in the history of college basketball
That could certainly be the case.

But, I know there are times when coaches want to make a point with players that are never publicized to even close supporters of the team. Also, match-ups matter a lot in basketball and coaches have plans for how they want to defend and attack differently from game to game. I think we are all disappointed in how the team plays at times, but I think the players, if not necessarily the team, have grown a lot this year.

I do not understand how Banks can be so inconsistent. That is troubling for next year when AD will be gone. As for Alston, since he returned, he has not been a factor in any game except the blowout loss to Clemson. Even AD's minutes are down significantly. So, except for Cole and Moore the minutes seem to be going to guys who will be here next season.

As I said earlier, the fact that Phillips and Ves are not playing at all tells me they may not be here next year.