GT 45-UVA 17 #GTvsUVA postgame

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t like all the whining, but Beamer and Foster had some good results against GA Tech. The only years we beat them were 2006, 2009, 2014, 2106-18. Beamer retired after 2015 and Foster after 2019.
Foster vs. CPJ and Venables vs. CPJ were to of the best "chess match" matchups in college football. I love that we got to watch those year after year. Some of the best at their craft, just picking each other's strategies apart on the fly.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Foster vs. CPJ and Venables vs. CPJ were to of the best "chess match" matchups in college football. I love that we got to watch those year after year. Some of the best at their craft, just picking each other's strategies apart on the fly.
It was crazy to behold how all those games went down. Wasn't it Jeremy Pruitt under Dabo at first that CPJ took to the woodshed? Venables came later? Or was it the other way around. My memory is shot.

ETA: Nah, Jeremy Pruitt was UGAg. It was Kevin Steele.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, he (the UGA coach) wasn't called "Goof" for nothing. Ray Golf was an idiot then if he did not think that Tech team in 1990 was worthy of at least being a top ten team after blowing UGA out after they had a lead in the first quarter. He was just being mean and vindictive as usual. I would go so far as to say that Tech at the end of that 1990 season was clearly the best team in the country. If we played Colorado 10 times I think we would have won 7. It was the best Tech team in living memory.
That was gift to Colorado from the scam biased voters. Everybody knew Colorado had a loss and won another game because they were given 5 plays to get a win that should’ve been another loss. The big 8 always got favoritism. They were bound and determined to give Colorado a NC…and I mean give!

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, EVERYONE runs options in college football. If you watched Bama-LSU you heard the announcer point out the triple option plays both teams ran. To dislike option football is nothing short of stupid.
But, really, isn’t there a difference between running an option as an occasional play vs running option as the basis for the entire offense and team structure? Couldn’t one like the first and dislike the latter?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
But, really, isn’t there a difference between running an option as an occasional play vs running option as the basis for the entire offense and team structure? Couldn’t one like the first and dislike the latter?
Ther's a lot of ways to run an option. CPJ used the flex formation, Pepper Rodgers used the wishbone, Tom Osborne used the I-formation. The RPO is run from a shotgun formation. Here's a video of LSU running option against Tech in 1962 from a T-formation, which I believe Tech did with Jack Williams at QB in 1968-69 (Deepsnap, correct me if I'm wrong).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well one should get the wording correctly to accurately describe what they don't like. The CPJ flexbone offense ran the "triple option" about 20% of the time. They also ran pass plays sometimes, toss plays, draw plays, midline plays, etc.

I think what people complained about mostly was the formation because they thought it looked like the high school wing-t formation. And even then, it only looked like the high school wing-t formation when the offense was in a base-tight formation. Of you watched a game from the end zone, the split between offensive linemen in the normal formation was extremely large which I haven't seen many high school wing-t teams use. (In fact I don't remember ever seeing it in high school) Further, I think that what people didn't like was that their SEC friends in the bar would dismiss the entire offense as "that high school triple option" offense and they had a short man complex about it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well one should get the wording correctly to accurately describe what they don't like. The CPJ flexbone offense ran the "triple option" about 20% of the time. They also ran pass plays sometimes, toss plays, draw plays, midline plays, etc.

I think what people complained about mostly was the formation because they thought it looked like the high school wing-t formation. And even then, it only looked like the high school wing-t formation when the offense was in a base-tight formation. Of you watched a game from the end zone, the split between offensive linemen in the normal formation was extremely large which I haven't seen many high school wing-t teams use. (In fact I don't remember ever seeing it in high school) Further, I think that what people didn't like was that their SEC friends in the bar would dismiss the entire offense as "that high school triple option" offense and they had a short man complex about it.
Brain malfunction. I should have said wishbone instead of wing-t.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

Aside from what the true and right definition of “triple option” is — or what formation it looks like (or what any given Bible verse really means) — I think the general complaint was that one could literally bank that the next play was going to be a run play. And at the end of the day the offense was geared to be exceptionally bent to the ground game. Again, in however that formation or slight variant manifests.

But I’m not trying to stir up this old debate — I was only trying to qualify that because Alabama or whomever occasionally runs a “triple-option-ish” play (🤷‍♂️ or whatever formation) is not the same thing as wholesale disliking “triple-option-ish” plays. I do, however, greatly enjoy this current offense!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
765.jpg

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I think you hit the nail on the head. The only difference between the formations was where the qb stood the majority of the time.
1699413388926.png

1699413558008.png

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

That was SEC fans in a bar that had been drinking too much their entire miserable lives to the point of destroying what few brain cells that were still working. SEC fans of teams that faced the triple option did not want any part of it afterwards. Kentucky fans were complaining after that bowl game that the fullback dive was getting 4 yards every time. The only SEC teams that I saw completely stop the Flex bone were UGA several times and LSU due to physical superiority. Vanderbilt had a really great linebacker one year that I thought would give us trouble but Coach Johnson schemed around him. Mississippi State was helpless against it both times they faced it. Even Tennessee was baffled by it for much of the game we had with them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Aside from what the true and right definition of “triple option” is — or what formation it looks like (or what any given Bible verse really means) — I think the general complaint was that one could literally bank that the next play was going to be a run play. And at the end of the day the offense was geared to be exceptionally bent to the ground game. Again, in however that formation or slight variant manifests.

But I’m not trying to stir up this old debate — I was only trying to qualify that because Alabama or whomever occasionally runs a “triple-option-ish” play (🤷‍♂️ or whatever formation) is not the same thing as wholesale disliking “triple-option-ish” plays. I do, however, greatly enjoy this current offense!
Except if you say that you don't like running football and you would like to see more passing, you would get an entirely different discussion, which might be a more meaningful and beneficial discussion. Society today has turned into a tribal conflict. Take a hypothetical example of music fans. Some fans like XY hip hop. Some fans like XZ hip hop. Fans of those different styles of hip hop dislike each other. XY fans say the phrase "red popsicle" and they immediately understand it signifies hate for XZ. When XZ fans hear the phrase "red popsicle" they immediately understand that it is hate directed at them and get angry at their hated rivals. There probably is some story about a red popsicle, but the actual facts of the story probably don't have much to do with hate for each other nor about either side being evil.

EDIT: People who aren't heavily into the click of XY or XZ won't understand "red popsicle" and will be very confused by why that phrase leads to such passion.

Back to the current discussion. Permutations of offensive formations are only relevant if one uses words incorrectly. There isn't a reason to use -ish to make your meaning ambiguous if you can accurately describe what you like/don't like. Apparently you like the triple option with the tight end in front for a pass more than the triple option with the running back behind for a pitch. Apparently you like the jet sweep more than the rocket toss. There are plenty of people who will argue those plays are more similar than different, but at least you will be having a more meaningful discussion than a love/hate of the "triple-option" discussion will lead to.