GT 45-UVA 17 #GTvsUVA postgame

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
H King is fast but often he is in a slower gear, usually looking down field. I think this is OK on early downs but on third downs I want him to run full speed when he is flushed and not be cruising and looking. I prefer to see him go for the sticks to keep the drive alive on third downs and cruise and look on other downs. The last couple of games he has made some really nice FULL SPEED runs which really opens up the O..
Yes. This has been a real addition to the O. If a D is looking for Smith or Haynes - and UVA was spying Smith for sure - it makes it a lot easier for the QB to run. King is not a run first QB, but he is quite capable of exploiting his opportunities. The staff has also obviously noticed that with the run game picking up standard double option QB/RB plays work a whole lot better. Let's just hope that we can keep Smith healthy and the run game on track. We'll be able to actually see our progress nest weekend at High Noon.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There are two schools of thought about playing a schedule as weak as uga’s. One is that not having been really tested this year, if a team gets them on the ropes they may not know how to respond. The second school of thought, which is my fear this year, is that all the cupcakes on uga’s schedule means they can save themselves mentally and physically for the big games. Since they haven’t really had a big game this year, the team can really focus and get up for an SEC championship or national playoff game.
I would add one other aspect: confidence. One reason Vaught's Ole Miss teams were so good was that when they went up against Bama - usually the only tough game on the schedule - they went on the field thinking they would win. This means that when the first fist goes to face the team will usually buck up and hit back. I htink this is one of Ugag's secret weapons; they don't think they're going to lose so they almost always don't. I agree that their team htis year isn't as good as the last two years, but the real bottom line is that they think they are. It can work wonders.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So what happened to the extra wordy impressions of the game this week? I lknow you are all waiting with bated breath.

Well, you are out to luck. I went to my (Jesus above, help me) 55th college reunion this last weekend. My classmates and I all looked at each other with amazement that we were still alive and in shape enough to make it. So I watched my school get it's head handed to it by Trinity University and had champagne for breakfast and G&T for lunch and dinner. There was spotty internet connection so I didn't learn the score until the game was over. And, I might add, the tailgaters were not watching our game with a vengeance.

So I'm disqualified. And still recovering, of course.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee may or may not be a good team. The aggregate record of the teams they have beaten is 23-31. They have beaten 3 FBS teams with winning records, (UTSA, TAM, & UK) and lost to an average Florida team.
You are stubborn and biased - the combined record of Missouri, Tennessee and Mississippi is: 22-5 with one of the losses to UGA. Their schedule to date has not been very hard. The 3 SEC games I mention are very hard games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You are way off base on you view of the SEC East. Missouri is a good team, Tennessee is a good team. Florida is an average team. Ole Miss (SEC West) is a good team.
Florida is below average. Tennessee is average. Your SEC bias is showing.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Look, I hope uga doesn’t win another game. Nothing would make me happier. But I just don’t see any real threats in their future except Alabama. And even there I think uga is a better team but Alabama may have something to prove and that may help.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Disagree, they struggled to beat a terrible SC team, nearly lost to a mediocre Auburn team, and struggled with Mizzou this past week. They are going to have 4 straight weeks of having to play their best football all season, and I don't think they are going to come out of that stretch unscathed.
Hope you are right but all those close games tell me that uga might be saving their best for tougher opponents. When you play one of the weakest schedules in the country it is to be expected that you might sleep walk through a few games here and there. Point is, they have such an abundance of athletic talent they can take a game off here and there and still find enough left to pull out the win. Now, with the sec championship on the line, as well as their playoff chances, I expect them to be fully awake and focused.

But lordy I hope you are right.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Look, I hope uga doesn’t win another game. Nothing would make me happier. But I just don’t see any real threats in their future except Alabama. And even there I think uga is a better team but Alabama may have something to prove and that may help.
stat-wise Ole Miss is pretty even with uga, i think this will be a real close game, uga will out-talent them though in the end, or Kiffin will make some dumb decisions to blow it.

Tennessee‘s qb just doesn’t have it to be a good passer, they are 1 diminsional, uga will beat them down

Mizz is likely the 2nd best team in the East, they are solid all around

Florida is just BAD people.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

In your opinion who are the good teams in the Country? From your posts maybe Alabama and Georgia from the SEC. Who from other conferences are good?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You are stubborn and biased - the combined record of Missouri, Tennessee and Mississippi is: 22-5 with one of the losses to UGA. Their schedule to date has not been very hard. The 3 SEC games I mention are very hard games.

Stubborn would imply that I had dug in on this. Since this was my first response on that issue, it's an odd accusation for you to sling out. Especially when I said "Tennessee may or may not be a good team."

I am also not sure how you arrived at biased. I used actual statistics to arrive at my conclusion about Tennessee instead of the "eyeball" test. I said absolutely nothing about the difficulty of uga's schedule in my post either.

Maybe you meant to respond to someone else?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Stubborn would imply that I had dug in on this. Since this was my first response on that issue, it's an odd accusation for you to sling out. Especially when I said "Tennessee may or may not be a good team."

I am also not sure how you arrived at biased. I used actual statistics to arrive at my conclusion about Tennessee instead of the "eyeball" test. I said absolutely nothing about the difficulty of uga's schedule in my post either.

Maybe you meant to respond to someone else?
I have been going back and forth with NEStinger. Not sure how you entered the discussion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In your opinion who are the good teams in the Country? From your posts maybe Alabama and Georgia from the SEC. Who from other conferences are good?
Yes. Alabama is good. Georgia is not only good, they are a complete team. When I say complete I mean a team with no discernible weaknesses.

Washington and Oregon are good. Washington may be a complete team. Texas is good. Ohio State is good and a complete team. Michigan is good.

FSU is a complete team. UNC and Louisville are good teams.

I could say more and add more but I’ll start with these.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
For one, I never said Mizzou was a good team. I do think beating KSt might be more impressive than beating aTm though.
I never accused you of such, sir, and apologize if I insinuated that in any way!
I was merely noting that your “maybe / maybe not” justification for UT being a good team applies almost exactly to Mizzou as well.
I do agree that KSt is a better win, but UT and Mizzou are a coin flip distinction of two mediocre teams

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I never accused you of such, sir, and apologize if I insinuated that in any way!
I was merely noting that your “maybe / maybe not” justification for UT being a good team applies almost exactly to Mizzou as well.
I do agree that KSt is a better win, but UT and Mizzou are a coin flip distinction of two mediocre teams

The main reason I didn't include Mizzou was that they actually looked like a good team in their game against uga. But as you said, their schedule is only moderately better than Tennessee's.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think the SEC bias elevates these teams in some people’s minds. If you overrate certain teams before the season they have to lose a lot of games before people start to believe they were overrated. Meanwhile, the teams that are beating them are still getting a boost.

So, for the sake of discussion, if you overrate LSU, Tennessee, Kentucky and Texas A&M before the season starts, then any team that beats them gets an artificial boost, especially when evidence suggests these are just average teams. So, even though these teams were beaten by some good teams, not every team that beat them was necessarily good. Florida shouldn’t get an extra large boost for beating Tennessee, for instance, especially if Tennessee is demonstrating that they are an average team. Missouri shouldn’t be seen as a good team because they dominated Kentucky. Ole Miss shouldn’t get a boost from squeaking by LSU, especially when other teams have beaten LSU much more convincingly.

There are a lot of mediocre teams in the SEC but they get a boost by simply being in the SEC. So teams like South Carolina and Missouri, just to name two, can expose the weaknesses of a better team, either by beating them or playing them close, and it doesn’t have the same impact as Miami losing to Ga Tech, or UNC losing to Virginia, or Louisville losing to Pittsburgh.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think the SEC bias elevates these teams in some people’s minds. If you overrate certain teams before the season they have to lose a lot of games before people start to believe they were overrated. Meanwhile, the teams that are beating them are still getting a boost.

So, for the sake of discussion, if you overrate LSU, Tennessee, Kentucky and Texas A&M before the season starts, then any team that beats them gets an artificial boost, especially when evidence suggests these are just average teams. So, even though these teams were beaten by some good teams, not every team that beat them was necessarily good. Florida shouldn’t get an extra large boost for beating Tennessee, for instance, especially if Tennessee is demonstrating that they are an average team. Missouri shouldn’t be seen as a good team because they dominated Kentucky. Ole Miss shouldn’t get a boost from squeaking by LSU, especially when other teams have beaten LSU much more convincingly.

There are a lot of mediocre teams in the SEC but they get a boost by simply being in the SEC. So teams like South Carolina and Missouri, just to name two, can expose the weaknesses of a better team, either by beating them or playing them close, and it doesn’t have the same impact as Miami losing to Ga Tech, or UNC losing to Virginia, or Louisville losing to Pittsburgh.
Your argument is a bit weak based on this year results and rankings.

SEC Teams - UGA is #1, you can debate that but they are clearly a top 1-5 team. Alabama is #8, 3rd of the 6 one loss teams. Againn reasonable. Ole Miss is #10, 5th of the 6 one loss teams. very reasonable. Tenn is #14 and Missouri is #16, 3rd and 5th of the 2 loss teams.

LSU at #18 with 3 losses is debatable. 2 loss teams lower than Tenn are Okla (17), Okla St(15), Kansas(19) and UNC with UNC as the outlier at #24. They have the worst loss to UVA who Tenn beat 49-13. The difference between 14 and 19 is marginal, especially with the rankings above.

AS this season has played out the rankings are far more reasonable than they are in many years without the normal SEC bias. If Tenn and Ole Miss lose to UGA they will drop in the rankings. If UGA loses they will drop from #1.

Of the 5 unbeaten teams FSU has the easiest path against Miami, Fla (you say bad team) and the ACC Championship game. OSU and Mich play each other, obviously one will lose. Mich also has Penn St. Washington has UTAH #13 and Oregon St #12 then the PAC Championship game likely #6 Oregon. Very tough road. We already discussed UGA having Tenn, Ole Miss, GT and likely Bama.

Of the 1 loss teams Texas has by far the easiest schedule - TCU, Iowa St and Texas Tech then the Big 12 Championship game. Bama has a good chance with UK, AU and likely UGA in the SEC Championship game. Oregon has only USC and a likely rematch with Washington as hard games.

Lots of good games for some teams and easy ones for others. The final four is a long way from settled.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Have you seen Milroe the last couple of weeks? He's put things together and is playing out of his mind.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I realize it isn't Olympic speed, but there are very few college football players who were able to run a 10.2 100m in high school. Singleton has elite speed. A lot of times when people are able to run that fast, they can only run i a straight line. Singleton is able to cut very well to have that kind of speed.
To put that number into perspective, Broderick Snoddy's personal record in the 100m in high school was 10.45. He was able to get that down to 10.28 in college. Trindon Holliday's personal record in high school was 10.47. He ran a 10.00 in the US Olympic trials. 10.00 isn't fast enough to get into the Olympics, but it is EXTREMELY fast. 10.20 isn't enough to get into the Olympics, but it is INCREDIBLY fast for a high school athlete. He has top 1% top end speed, can juke and cut well enough, and has very good hands. He is going to be a special player.