GT 45-UVA 17 #GTvsUVA postgame

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
A deeper dive into the record book reveals that since 1999, (I know the Curse predates that but that was as far back as I was willing to go) the Cavaliers have been dominant on their turf. 10 wins compared to 3 losses. Some of the losses bordered upon mythological, supernatural forces at work. To wit we lost to UVA in 2005 pretty badly and the very next week just wore out undefeated and 3rd ranked Miami practically running them out of their own stadium. 2009 Tech won at Charlottesville and it was so nice to beat a team from the Old Dominion we did it twice beating #4 ranked Virginia Tech in Atlanta. Most years both teams with a few exceptions were pretty mediocre. However, I would offer a caveat that when the bone was churning, as it did several times in Coach Johnson's career, UVA had no answer for it.
How about 2001 when they won on a last second 65 yard hook and lateral when they were down six?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, they also changed the rules on perimeter blocking below the waist to where players originating outside the tackle box couldn't block back toward the ball below the waist. To me, that hurt our smaller A-backs' ability to seal off the edge against much larger players (DE/LB). That plus losing Mason and Griffin (to injury) off the right side of the OL, plus losing 7 of the 8 backs named above killed us in 2015. Still, we lost about 4-5 games that year by one score. Still could easily have had 7-8 wins that season with the right breaks.
I think, if I’m not mistaken, that the rule prohibiting cut blocks five yards or more downfield from the line of scrimmage was established in 2018, CPJ’s last year at Georgia Tech.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Re: the rule on cut blocks. I googled it, and found the following article (from 2018):

Apparently the rules regarding cut blocks are a bit more complex than simply cut-blocking five yards or more from the neutral zone.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Re: the rule on cut blocks. I googled it, and found the following article (from 2018):

Apparently the rules regarding cut blocks are a bit more complex than simply cut-blocking five yards or more from the neutral zone.
There was one, I thought around 2015 that eliminated cutting back toward the ball by players originating oitside the tackle box. It’s been a bit so I may be wrong.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Your argument is a bit weak based on this year results and rankings.

SEC Teams - UGA is #1, you can debate that but they are clearly a top 1-5 team. Alabama is #8, 3rd of the 6 one loss teams. Againn reasonable. Ole Miss is #10, 5th of the 6 one loss teams. very reasonable. Tenn is #14 and Missouri is #16, 3rd and 5th of the 2 loss teams.

LSU at #18 with 3 losses is debatable. 2 loss teams lower than Tenn are Okla (17), Okla St(15), Kansas(19) and UNC with UNC as the outlier at #24. They have the worst loss to UVA who Tenn beat 49-13. The difference between 14 and 19 is marginal, especially with the rankings above.

AS this season has played out the rankings are far more reasonable than they are in many years without the normal SEC bias. If Tenn and Ole Miss lose to UGA they will drop in the rankings. If UGA loses they will drop from #1.

Of the 5 unbeaten teams FSU has the easiest path against Miami, Fla (you say bad team) and the ACC Championship game. OSU and Mich play each other, obviously one will lose. Mich also has Penn St. Washington has UTAH #13 and Oregon St #12 then the PAC Championship game likely #6 Oregon. Very tough road. We already discussed UGA having Tenn, Ole Miss, GT and likely Bama.

Of the 1 loss teams Texas has by far the easiest schedule - TCU, Iowa St and Texas Tech then the Big 12 Championship game. Bama has a good chance with UK, AU and likely UGA in the SEC Championship game. Oregon has only USC and a likely rematch with Washington as hard games.

Lots of good games for some teams and easy ones for others. The final four is a long way from settled.
Yeah, we are in the same ballpark with most of these teams. I’m highly skeptical of Tenn and I’m willing to be proven wrong about Ole Miss but I don’t think either of them will beat uga and I still think they are rated too high.

Miami is a sad case to me. Not as sad as LSU but in the same category. With all of that talent they should have a better record and I still think that in games where they put it all together they can hang with anyone.

The reason some rankings look out of kilter to me is I imagine higher ranked teams playing lower ranked teams and ask myself who I think would win. So, for instance, if UNC played their best game against Ole Miss playing their best game I would favor UNC. I would not say that if UNC was playing Alabama.

I am baffled as to why Tennessee gets so much love. They have almost as many weaknesses as Tech except that Tech has a better offense.

These scores shed a little light but don’t tell us everything we need to know about how teams in a conference get ranked:

Tennessee 49 Virginia 13
Wake Forest 36 Vanderbilt 20
North Carolina 31 South Carolina 17
Miami 48 Texas A&M 33
Florida State 45 LSU 24

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There was one, I thought around 2015 that eliminated cutting back toward the ball by players originating oitside the tackle box. It’s been a bit so I may be wrong.
I think this was probably it. Passed in 2016. I thought it was a year earlier. IMPO, these types of changes left CPJ's offensive system in need of some updating.

"Blocking Below the Waist
Offensive players who are outside the tackle box at the snap, and those who leave the tackle box after the snap, may only block an opponent below the waist if the force of the initial contact is directly at the opponent's front. However, they may not block an opponent below the waist in a direction toward the original position of the ball unless the ball carrier has clearly crossed the line of scrimmage."

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I really think the big difference is that the A-backs would need get a little bigger overall to handle blocking linebackers

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, we are in the same ballpark with most of these teams. I’m highly skeptical of Tenn and I’m willing to be proven wrong about Ole Miss but I don’t think either of them will beat uga and I still think they are rated too high.

Miami is a sad case to me. Not as sad as LSU but in the same category. With all of that talent they should have a better record and I still think that in games where they put it all together they can hang with anyone.

The reason some rankings look out of kilter to me is I imagine higher ranked teams playing lower ranked teams and ask myself who I think would win. So, for instance, if UNC played their best game against Ole Miss playing their best game I would favor UNC. I would not say that if UNC was playing Alabama.

I am baffled as to why Tennessee gets so much love. They have almost as many weaknesses as Tech except that Tech has a better offense.

These scores shed a little light but don’t tell us everything we need to know about how teams in a conference get ranked:

Tennessee 49 Virginia 13
Wake Forest 36 Vanderbilt 20
North Carolina 31 South Carolina 17
Miami 48 Texas A&M 33
Florida State 45 LSU 24
Which is why you only see UGA and Bama ranked top 10. Ole Miss has a great opportunity to prove themselves against UGA. It would be great if the beat UGA.

UNC has major defensive issues.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I really think the big difference is that the A-backs would need get a little bigger overall to handle blocking linebackers
Especially if they cannot block them below the waist having started the play outside the tackles. CPJ specialized in the smaller, quicker, highly athletic A-backs. The only times he had big ones were early on when Lucas Cox was a A-back (2008) and Ant Allen (2009) while Dwyer held the B-back slot. Both those guys could lay the lumber. After that they tended to get smaller and smaller - guys like Peeples, Wright, Zenon, Bostic, Godhigh, Willis, and Searcy. However, he did also bring in some bigger guys, too - Smith, Perkins, Hill, etc. So, I guess it was a mixed bag.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Which is why you only see UGA and Bama ranked top 10. Ole Miss has a great opportunity to prove themselves against UGA. It would be great if the beat UGA.

UNC has major defensive issues.
I would be ecstatic if Ole Miss won.

In your mind how far would uga drop in the polls? The other question is how far should they drop?

The way the pollsters answer the question will tell us a lot about what think of uga’s SEC competition this year.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I would be ecstatic if Ole Miss won.

In your mind how far would uga drop in the polls? The other question is how far should they drop?

The way the pollsters answer the question will tell us a lot about what think of uga’s SEC competition this year.
How far they should drop and how far they will drop should be similar, but unfortunately they will probably be pretty far off.

The mutt's first game against a currently ranked opponent was last weekend, and the stats in that game are roughly equal. They were 8-0 because they played a cupcake schedule. Games 9-10-11 are the ones that will tell us where they actually are. The problem is that pollsters decided long before the season started that the mutts are a dominant team again, and going 8-0 has enforced that idea with the public and pollsters. The way polls work, and have always worked is that a decision is made pre-season then the teams at the top have to prove that they don't deserve to be there. A team that starts unranked and proves on the field that they are very good can't jump over the top pre-season teams until the pre-season favorites actually lose. The mutts are a good team, but I don't think there are any teams this year that are far dominant above and beyond others. It would be a horrible year for a BCS championship ranking.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this was probably it. Passed in 2016. I thought it was a year earlier. IMPO, these types of changes left CPJ's offensive system in need of some updating.

"Blocking Below the Waist
Offensive players who are outside the tackle box at the snap, and those who leave the tackle box after the snap, may only block an opponent below the waist if the force of the initial contact is directly at the opponent's front. However, they may not block an opponent below the waist in a direction toward the original position of the ball unless the ball carrier has clearly crossed the line of scrimmage."
Kam Chancellor probably goes to bed crying every night beating his pillow wishing they would have instituted that rule prior to 2009. We crack backed that SOB in the box relentlessly on 10-17-2009 at the Dodd. He was literally wobbly by the 4th quarter, it was glorious. I'm convinced cry baby Beamer made it his life's mission to get that rule instituted because of that game and what we did to his pride and joy on that night.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Kam Chancellor probably goes to bed crying every night beating his pillow wishing they would have instituted that rule prior to 2009. We crack backed that SOB in the box relentlessly on 10-17-2009 at the Dodd. He was literally wobbly by the 4th quarter, it was glorious. I'm convinced cry baby Beamer made it his life's mission to get that rule instituted because of that game and what we did to his pride and joy on that night.
Crack backs being out of the game is a good thing

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
How far they should drop and how far they will drop should be similar, but unfortunately they will probably be pretty far off.

The mutt's first game against a currently ranked opponent was last weekend, and the stats in that game are roughly equal. They were 8-0 because they played a cupcake schedule. Games 9-10-11 are the ones that will tell us where they actually are. The problem is that pollsters decided long before the season started that the mutts are a dominant team again, and going 8-0 has enforced that idea with the public and pollsters. The way polls work, and have always worked is that a decision is made pre-season then the teams at the top have to prove that they don't deserve to be there. A team that starts unranked and proves on the field that they are very good can't jump over the top pre-season teams until the pre-season favorites actually lose. The mutts are a good team, but I don't think there are any teams this year that are far dominant above and beyond others. It would be a horrible year for a BCS championship ranking.
There is a reason Sagarin and FEI have multiple 1 loss teams ahead of uga. Not only has uga had a weak schedule, but they haven't looked good in quite a number of their games. They had realistic shots of losing both last week and to Auburn. It's possible uga turns the jets on to end the season, but it's also possible that they are a 9-3 team masquerading behind a cupcake schedule.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Well, Kam deserved it after all that empty-headed nonsense he spouted before the game, about being able to tell what way the ball was going based on the way we lined up before the snap. I'd be willing to bet that PJ called a bunch of plays specifically to make him look clueless...and make sure he took a hard hit while being made the fool.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t like all the whining, but Beamer and Foster had some good results against GA Tech. The only years we beat them were 2006, 2009, 2014, 2106-18. Beamer retired after 2015 and Foster after 2019.