GT 45-UVA 17 #GTvsUVA postgame

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Missouri almost beat them. The other two could as well. No we would lose to Mississippi again. Our defense simply can’t handle a good offense.

UVA is not a good comparison. They played with a not ready for action QB. That matters. Dart is a very good QB. Ole Miss runs the ball very well. GT’s defense is simply bad.

Hard to win games scoring 40 points. Defense needs to get much better.

I am really happy with how much better this years offense is than the past several years. Remarkable improvement. Kudos to the players and coaches. Really hard to go from bottom 10 to top 25 in one offseason.
While Colandrea is a freshman for UVA it's not like he hadn't had any game action this year. He played 3 full games this year when Muskett went down against Tennessee in the first game. However he is a true frosh and that definitely showed up and it definitely made a difference in a good way for us. But again it wasn't his first meaningful game action.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Alabama has steadily improved over the course of the season in typical Saban fashion but this Bama team is not the same as the others. Still very capable of upsetting UGA with a break or two.
Of course, any kind of upset is possible in college football.

There are two schools of thought about playing a schedule as weak as uga’s. One is that not having been really tested this year, if a team gets them on the ropes they may not know how to respond. The second school of thought, which is my fear this year, is that all the cupcakes on uga’s schedule means they can save themselves mentally and physically for the big games. Since they haven’t really had a big game this year, the team can really focus and get up for an SEC championship or national playoff game.

We will also test the theory this year of whether or not uga considers us a rival. In past years, even when Tech had a better team, uga could pull out a win based on their sheer hatred of us. This year we present them the perfect trap game since so much of their attention will be on their first big game of the year in Alabama. But, if we are still one of their big rivals, then they will not overlook us as they prep for a championship game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Missouri almost beat them. The other two could as well. No we would lose to Mississippi again. Our defense simply can’t handle a good offense.

UVA is not a good comparison. They played with a not ready for action QB. That matters. Dart is a very good QB. Ole Miss runs the ball very well. GT’s defense is simply bad.

Hard to win games scoring 40 points. Defense needs to get much better.

I am really happy with how much better this years offense is than the past several years. Remarkable improvement. Kudos to the players and coaches. Really hard to go from bottom 10 to top 25 in one offseason.
But you miss the point, this is not a schedule that really tested uga this year. They can practically sleep walk through their season. Heck, South Carolina is a far worse team than us and they “almost beat Georgia,” to use your language.

Nah, we could beat Mississippi now on the right day. We held them close until the game broke open at the end and our offense was not half as efficient then as it is now. UNC and Miami have had their seasons fall apart, just like LSU, but people seem to forget that they are just as loaded with talent as Mississippi.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think it's telling that, except for our QB, we don't have a single player on offense whose production is in the top tier in either rushing or receiving, yet our yards per game is outstanding.

Edit to add: My only concern is that Seither's stats are slipping. His one reception failed to score a TD. ;)
This what I've often seen when as O is really good with multiple weapons. Pepper's O was always this way, and ELI didn't have the really big year until his SR season when CPR went to the I-formation to feature him. Also, CPJ's 2014 O had several guys who could tote the rock: Laskey, Days, Hill, Perkins, Zenon, Snoddy, Bostic, Andrews, etc. All of them had good yardage, but none of them was a NCAA stats leader. To me that's a sign of a powerful O. It's also a sign that if one goes down it doesn't shut down the O.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
This what I've often seen when as O is really good with multiple weapons. Pepper's O was always this way, and ELI didn't have the really big year until his SR season when CPR went to the I-formation to feature him. Also, CPJ's 2014 O had several guys who could tote the rock: Laskey, Days, Hill, Perkins, Zenon, Snoddy, Bostic, Andrews, etc. All of them had good yardage, but none of them was a NCAA stats leader. To me that's a sign of a powerful O. It's also a sign that if one goes down it doesn't shut down the O.
CPJ’s 2014 offensive line was his best at Georgia Tech.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
CPJ’s 2014 offensive line was his best at Georgia Tech.
IIRC, they also changed the rules on perimeter blocking below the waist to where players originating outside the tackle box couldn't block back toward the ball below the waist. To me, that hurt our smaller A-backs' ability to seal off the edge against much larger players (DE/LB). That plus losing Mason and Griffin (to injury) off the right side of the OL, plus losing 7 of the 8 backs named above killed us in 2015. Still, we lost about 4-5 games that year by one score. Still could easily have had 7-8 wins that season with the right breaks.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
95% chance no one in the SEC can beat them. Our only hope is that Bama plays their best game of the season.
Disagree, they struggled to beat a terrible SC team, nearly lost to a mediocre Auburn team, and struggled with Mizzou this past week. They are going to have 4 straight weeks of having to play their best football all season, and I don't think they are going to come out of that stretch unscathed.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
But you miss the point, this is not a schedule that really tested uga this year. They can practically sleep walk through their season. Heck, South Carolina is a far worse team than us and they “almost beat Georgia,” to use your language.

Nah, we could beat Mississippi now on the right day. We held them close until the game broke open at the end and our offense was not half as efficient then as it is now. UNC and Miami have had their seasons fall apart, just like LSU, but people seem to forget that they are just as loaded with talent as Mississippi.
You are way off base on you view of the SEC East. Missouri is a good team, Tennessee is a good team. Florida is an average team. Ole Miss (SEC West) is a good team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You are way off base on you view of the SEC East. Missouri is a good team, Tennessee is a good team. Florida is an average team. Ole Miss (SEC West) is a good team.

Tennessee may or may not be a good team. The aggregate record of the teams they have beaten is 23-31. They have beaten 3 FBS teams with winning records, (UTSA, TAM, & UK) and lost to an average Florida team.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee may or may not be a good team. The aggregate record of the teams they have beaten is 23-31. They have beaten 3 FBS teams with winning records, (UTSA, TAM, & UK) and lost to an average Florida team.
Most of this applies to Missouri too… is beating KSt more impressive than beating aTm?
Mizzou and UT are a coin flip, and the SEC East is pretty weak overall. Ole Miss will be the best team they’ve played by a long shot.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Disagree, they struggled to beat a terrible SC team, nearly lost to a mediocre Auburn team, and struggled with Mizzou this past week. They are going to have 4 straight weeks of having to play their best football all season, and I don't think they are going to come out of that stretch unscathed.
Every undefeated team has struggled to win a couple of times, except maybe Michigan, but all they do is keep winning.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Most of this applies to Missouri too… is beating KSt more impressive than beating aTm?
Mizzou and UT are a coin flip, and the SEC East is pretty weak overall. Ole Miss will be the best team they’ve played by a long shot.

For one, I never said Mizzou was a good team. I do think beating KSt might be more impressive than beating aTm though.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Singleton is extremely fast - I remember commenting on his ridiculous speed in his recruiting thread. But Haynes King is no slouch either. He outran UVA defenders - twice. Haynes has deceptive speed.
H King is fast but often he is in a slower gear, usually looking down field. I think this is OK on early downs but on third downs I want him to run full speed when he is flushed and not be cruising and looking. I prefer to see him go for the sticks to keep the drive alive on third downs and cruise and look on other downs. The last couple of games he has made some really nice FULL SPEED runs which really opens up the O..

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what his price will be?
A bowl game.

I'm not kidding. If he feels - like other frosh and sops - that he is on a train that will deliver more wins and that he ha a QB who has the arm to find him, I htink he'll stick. All he has to do is look at Nate to see that it is a good idea to be the star WR on a winning team. That's what the pros are looking for.