GT 45-UVA 17 #GTvsUVA postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And the coaches poll was a very close call because the uga coach didn’t even vote us in the top ten. Had Nebraska not voted us number one we would have lost that one too.

People. What are you gonna do with ‘em.
Well, he (the UGA coach) wasn't called "Goof" for nothing. Ray Golf was an idiot then if he did not think that Tech team in 1990 was worthy of at least being a top ten team after blowing UGA out after they had a lead in the first quarter. He was just being mean and vindictive as usual. I would go so far as to say that Tech at the end of that 1990 season was clearly the best team in the country. If we played Colorado 10 times I think we would have won 7. It was the best Tech team in living memory.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
WR screens are high on the list of “plays that GT has historically never defended well” so karma owes us some good luck on those

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haynes has stated a couple of times that our strategy is to go wide to make the defense run sideline-to-sideline and wear themselves out. This makes some sense in terms of trying to improve our performance in the second half, although it may not be effective early. We've done better in the last two games in the second half, so something is helping.

I think it seems Haynes waits to run till the other team is tired too. At least I hope so since a QB running is a good way to get injured. Hand off the ball and let the RBs do their thing.

The UVa QB was an idiot to run like he did in the first half and seek contact. Second half he slid. Maybe that fumble getting a few extra meaningless yards woke up the coaches to coach him up some.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That would be Charlotte instead of Jacksonville. To get to Charlotte, Louisville would have to lose two, or Louisville lose 1 and UNC win out. Of course GT would also have to win the next two games.
Their back up QB stunk and their starting RB got hurt. Helps beating backups. All game count regardless of injuries. Great win

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yep, some teams look set up to fail with their schedules and some look set up to win it all. But, obviously, in either case the team has to perform.

Y’all are tired of hearing me say this but I still can’t believe how easy uga’s schedule was. They will have to just completely blow it not win another championship. Most of their games were practice games and the few possible challenges left, either in conference, or in a playoff, only require that they get pumped up to maximum effort once or twice out of 15 games.
Their closing stretch on Missouri, Tennessee and Mississippi is by no means easy.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I am really impressed with our run blocking schemes by our OL, TE, and even the WRs; especially what I hope is coordinated timing of the blocks relative to where the ball carrier is and the angles they take.

One of the most frustrating things I saw under CPJ era was that while the blocking on paper as a single snapshot (ie. one dimensional representation) of time may have looked great, when it came to executing the play over time, the timing just didn't seem very well coordinated.

So often I would see our ABs carrying the ball out to the edge and move laterally several yards behind what seemed like their lead blocker (typically a wideout) and the blocker would make contact with a defender and the ball carrier would still take a second or two to get past the block. The problem is this delay in when the blocker makes contact with his assigned defender and when the ball carrier gets there is enough for the defender to get the leverage on the blocker because our blocker didn't know where the ball carrier was.

What I see in our highlights from last few games especially when our run game is churning out yards is our blockers make contact with a defender right as our ball carrier is about to pass them. So our blockers do not even have to totally beat their defender with their block, they just need to get in the way at the exact time the ball carrier is passing by.

So this "two dimensional" synchronization is very impressive to see. So props to the OL/TE/WRs.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Looking over game stats, we completed 5 passes to 3 TEs for 30 yards, and 6 passes to 2 RBs for 42 yards. That's 72 yards spread across 5 receivers that are not WR's. IMPO, that's excellent ball distribution. Then we had 13 completions spread across 5 WRs, too. Ten players caught passes yesterday.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Looking over game stats, we completed 5 passes to 3 TEs for 30 yards, and 6 passes to 2 RBs for 42 yards. That's 72 yards spread across 5 receivers that are not WR's. IMPO, that's excellent ball distribution. Then we had 13 completions spread across 5 WRs, too. Ten players caught passes yesterday.
I think it's telling that, except for our QB, we don't have a single player on offense whose production is in the top tier in either rushing or receiving, yet our yards per game is outstanding.

Edit to add: My only concern is that Seither's stats are slipping. His one reception failed to score a TD. ;)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
By no stretch of the imagination would I call Missouri a good team. Tennessee is overrated (I wish we played them) and Mississippi has had a good PR campaign since before the season even started.
LOL, your anti SEC bias is over the top. All three of them are as good as any team we have played. In fact Ole Miss is the best team we played.