GT (+4.5) vs Georgia

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We can't let Eason and his mediocre WRs get comfortable with the 5-6yd easy completions. Load up heavy on the run and for these WR to beat us. We have to find Nauta and can't let McKenzie hurt us in ST

I agree with this but do you really think roofy roof is capable of calling a game and tweaking his alignments to actually do this?

I think its going to be a ton of dink and dunk and nauta is going to light us up. Really bad matchup for a roof scheme.

Lord I want to be wrong here though

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I agree with this but do you really think roofy roof is capable of calling a game and tweaking his alignments to actually do this?

I think its going to be a ton of dink and dunk and nauta is going to light us up. Really bad matchup for a roof scheme.

Lord I want to be wrong here though

He did last season, we just couldn't score. UGA may be notch above UVA offensively. Thats based off watching maybe 9-10 of there games.

All this will be a moot point if we don't fit the run better than we did last week

He did last season, we just couldn't score. UGA may be notch above UVA offensively. Thats based off watching maybe 9-10 of there games.

All this will be a moot point if we don't fit the run better than we did last week
He also reverted to a prevent defense towards the end of the game, when we had Georgia backed up deep in our territory with plenty of time left for our O to score, and he let the mutts escape and seal the victory for them. I can never forgive him for that.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The key to this game from the TECH perspective is can we get pressure on Eason. He is a terrible decision maker and inaacurate thrower under any kind of pressure. However, if he gets to stand back there, he can sling the ball to any corner of the entire field. We simply have to get in the backfield to win this game, much like the VT game. Either that, or their WRs and TEs will need to go on another drop spree.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
But if I remember they didn't do a good job if stopping them.

I was at the game and watched Ga Southern put up 300 yards rushing on #3 ranked, eventual national champion Bama. Bama won 45-21 but it was 24-14 at half and the home crowd was shocked at how well GaSouthern was able to run the ball.
If this link works, scroll to the :55sec mark:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The key to this game from the TECH perspective is can we get pressure on Eason. He is a terrible decision maker and inaacurate thrower under any kind of pressure. However, if he gets to stand back there, he can sling the ball to any corner of the entire field. We simply have to get in the backfield to win this game, much like the VT game. Either that, or their WRs and TEs will need to go on another drop spree.

Well if there is an OLine that can aid us in getting pressure it is definitely UGA's OLine. This game plan seems too much like right that Roof will find a way to out smart himself.

One thing I would like to do this wk that we mysteriously didn't do last week is matchup personnel. I'm almost 90% sure that we stayed in Nickel even when UVA brought on bigger bodies on the field

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
In my opinion I'm predicting both teams come out to play. I think CPJ and Roof are goin to be coaching to keep their jobs (which I think are secure at least for next season win or lose). I think JT is ready to play one of his best if not his best game of his career to beat them his last year. I think our offense is going to be ok and score. I think where we have to take advantage is on defense, making stops and getting turnovers. We need to start off hot, score first and play with the lead. Our defense needs to get in Eason's head and take advantage of him being a freshman and take advantage of it being Kirby Smarts' first year as a head coach and playing us. We need to win on defense win the turnovers and win on special teams. Really and truly it doesn't matter that much that we're in athens even when we're at home UGA fans out weigh our fans, we're use to the noise. I do believe to a certain extent that no matter how bad of a season Georgia is ever having they always seem to play their best against us but I believe this year Georgia is just terrible. I believe a lot of the years not every year but a lot of years when we're having a bad year we play our best against them. I think the only reason they will be favored is because they're at home. We've got quality wins and some rough loses so do they. I think we're are about even teams but I believe if we keep the simple mistakes to a minimum and win on defense and special teams then we will win this game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IF CPJ had this year's offense in 2015, we would have ran roughshod over UGA's team last year. We were so inept last season on offense.

UGA still has very good athletes though. Don't let their record fool you...there's still talent on that roster. Although they're stylistically different option offense, UGA held a very good Auburn team to 7 points. The same Auburn that was on an offensive tear up until that game. BTW, Auburn ranks 21 in offensive FEI...we're at 20.

Another interesting note, we will be the highest rated offense (as of FEI's rankings updated on 11/14) UGA has faced this year. UGA's defensive FEI is ranked 32. We will have faced 3 defenses ranked higher than UGA's: Clemson (#11), Miami (#20), VT (#28).

Vegas may have UGA favored (slightly considering home team gets 3 pts), but the FEI numbers say we have a REALLY good chance of winning. Both of CPJ's victories against UGA has come in Athens, FWIW.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Atomic predicts we win 25-23 and gives us a 54.2% chance at victory

I think we can beat these guys, and boy it would make everyone feel a whole lot better about this season if we did.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I like our chances this year. We are somewhat finishing on a high note and "georgie" has struggled.

In no limit poker, there's a saying, "when you have a big gun, shoot it". If we work the big plays like we did against Virginia, we should be able to tear them up. I'd like to see up pass this time to set up the run. Basically ... play Ole Miss.

21-3 at the half feels right to me. Work the clock in the second half and it's 35-31 and Tech wins a thriller.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We can't let Mackenzie turn small plays into big ones, and we can't let them score off of turnovers. If we do these two things I think we win.

Jmonty71

Banned
Jackets open as 4.5 point underdogs.

Track line movement here

Also:
  • NC State @ UNC (-10)
  • Duke @ Miami (-14)
  • Virginia @ Virginia Tech (-20)
  • South Carolina @ Clemson (-25)
  • Kentucky @ Louisville (-24.5)
  • Florida @ Florida State (-7)
I don't think Clemson beats SC that bad. Louisville is going to take Kentucky to the wood shed. All for not... They have 0 chance of a playoff berth now. For the big one.. I surely hope the offense can score lots of points. I foresee a track meet with the UGA / GT game. Neither team has a solid defense, in my book.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Supersize, I agree on Roof's strategy in the fourth quarter. On the last drive I don't think he called a single blitz. Their drive did take some of the time off the clock, but it seemed to me too early to go into that mode. We were effective in the third quarter by mixing our defense. When we stopped blitzing altogether, they marched down the field.

It also looked to me that PJ fell into the use clock mode too. We had been successful in the third quarter by mixing in some pass plays. I don't think he called on after about 10 minutes to play. In both cases, I think if Roof and Johnson had called the same game they called in the third quarter, we would have pulled way ahead.

Boomer, I agree that getting pressure is the key to the whole game. I am encouraged by the last two games.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can see this game going any which way, to be honest. No result would surprise me. Both teams have been models of inconsistency. If either team pulls it together, while the other has one of its disorganized days, it could be very one-sided. Both teams have looked horrible at times (GT vs UNC, UGAg vs MISS) and pretty good at others (GT vs VT, UGAg vs AUB).

We might have an edge in that UGAg defenders don't have a lot of experience against us and they are doing it with a new defensive coach, which means new schemes and short learning time. For us, I don't think UGAg is doing anything different on offense that we haven't seen. They are just a different group of kids with some athletic talent. I wouldn't be surprised to see us have several runouts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Eason with a ton of time, slinging us into submission. I just don't know.

With all this said, there are plenty of ways for us to come out on top in this game. We just have to find a way and play a solid game execution-wise.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
If we allow Eason to throw check downs all day, I'll vomit. My suspicion is that I'll need the barf bag at the ready. They're going to hit that full back leaking out of the backfield at least 5 times to convert a third down. Even against Virginia, our nickel guy was lining 10 yards off the slot in clear third and mediums where you knew they were going to throw the ball just past the chains. This was in the wind, without much chance of getting beat deep, with a quarterback that led the world in interceptions last year. I don't get it.