GT (+2.5) vs. VT

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Jackets open as 2.5 point underdogs at home vs. VT.

Track line movement here: http://www.vegasinsider.com/[email protected]/date/11-11-17

Other lines
  • Duke (-2) @ Army... Reminder that Duke just had their bye, prior to playing Army and GT in succession
  • Virginia @ Louisville (-9)
  • Wake Forest @ Syracuse (-3.5)
  • Florida State @ Clemson (-18)
  • Notre Dame (-4) @ Miami
  • Georgia (-2.5) @ Auburn

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think it's moves closer to 6.5 by Saturday. I want to see what the money line is. I'm taking us to win outright.
I like Army +2
Duke might have out smarted themselves with this. We get to watch film on how exactly they will defend us, plus they are going to get beat up from all the cut blocks that it'll be in there heads when they play us.
I'll take Louisville-9
Cuse -3.5
Clemson-18 (Easy money)
Miami+4 (This is there year, finally)
UGA -2.5 ( We beat them)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The Jackets open as 2.5 point underdogs at home vs. VT.

Track line movement here: http://www.vegasinsider.com/[email protected]/date/11-11-17

Other lines
  • Duke (-2) @ Army... Reminder that Duke just had their bye, prior to playing Army and GT in succession
  • Virginia @ Louisville (-9)
  • Wake Forest @ Syracuse (-3.5)
  • Florida State @ Clemson (-18)
  • Notre Dame (-4) @ Miami
  • Georgia (-2.5) @ Auburn
VT 24-20 over GT(I hope GT upsets them!)
Army 28-24 over Duke
Virginia 28-20 over Louisville
Wake Forest 27-17 over Syracuse
Clemson 35-14 over Florida State
Notre Dame 31-20 over Miami
Auburn 27-24 over Georgia

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There are a couple reasons for the close line:

1.Home game for GT
2. Vegas doesn't view the Jackets as negatively as we do.

I don't think that the VT QB is seriously injured. At least, there is no news of it I can find on a quick google search.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't really like that spread but I think we have a good chance in this game. The Clemson spread looks insane to me. They haven't beaten a team by 18 in their last 5 games. They didn't even beat us by 18.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't really like that spread but I think we have a good chance in this game. The Clemson spread looks insane to me. They haven't beaten a team by 18 in their last 5 games. They didn't even beat us by 18.

agreed. FSU hasnt really been blown out earlier. Their O is bad and their D isn't getting enough credit

Jmonty71

Banned
It depends. If we come out flat, like against UVA, we will lose by 20. If we play with some effing emotion, we can pull the upset.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hate to keep harping on this, but on a dry field we have an even chance to win this one. Here's a quick comparison:

Dry Field Wet Field
Dry Field: Total Offense (Average) = 428 Total Offense (Average) = 439 (w/o UT) Diff = 179

Wet Field:
Total Offense (Average) = 303. Total Offense (Average) = 303 (w/o Clemson Diff = 99

I left out the outliers (UT = 655, Clemson = 230) on the second comparison, but the story is the same. If you look at 2016, it's the same story; we had trouble in the muck in Dublin and did ok otherwise, despite coming up on the short end as often.

As Thoreau said, sometimes circumstantial evidence is very strong, like when you find a fish in the milk. Our problem this year has been that we've been in a monsoon in three crucial games. (Btw, this explains the crowds others have commented on at Miami and UVA.) I know, I know: there are other factors affecting this and the wet affects both teams and you could use other comparisons. But the story is the same. We can do well on a wet field if things aren't getting worse as the game goes on; we won after the drizzle stopped at VT last year. But, overall, if it's pouring rain, we have more trouble on both sides of the ball. I invite others to make comparisons to other years, but I bet the story doesn't change.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The table above (I couldn't edit it in time) should read:

Dry Field: Total Offense (Average) = 482 Wet Field: Total Offense (Average) = 303 Difference = 179

Dry Field: Total Offense (Average) = 439 (w/o UT) Wet Field: Total Offense (Average) = 340 (w/o Clemson) Difference = 99

Why the system here won't allow this to be formulated as a table so that it can be easily read is a mystery. The point is the same.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The table above (I couldn't edit it in time) should read:

Dry Field: Total Offense (Average) = 482 Wet Field: Total Offense (Average) = 303 Difference = 179

Dry Field: Total Offense (Average) = 439 (w/o UT) Wet Field: Total Offense (Average) = 340 (w/o Clemson) Difference = 99

Why the system here won't allow this to be formulated as a table so that it can be easily read is a mystery. The point is the same.
Makes sense now.