Great Interview with Candeto

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I don't want anyone to think I'm talking about any of the players on the team. But would you have wanted JT to be able run up the middle with power or throw the way he threw if he could only do one or the other good? I would take the ability to throw over the ability to have a power runner any day, now if the power runner is better at making decisions and taking care of the ball I would take him, but if you had two guys that were pretty equal in those two things, give me the passer. If we can't keep a team honest with the pass they will pack the box and be a lot more aggressive. I'm not saying none of our guys can't pass though, I'm just making a general statement. I honestly don't know what @dressedcheeseside was asking me that for?
You know, I'm not entirely sure I agree with you. Now, I'm also not entirely sure I disagree with you, but I think it's an interesting argument.

Say for a moment Josh Nesbitt was just as fast and quick as JT. Would you have taken Nesbitt's skill set or JT's?

JTs not entirely useless as an inside runner, and Nesbitt's not entirely useless as a passer, but you get the picture.

It's an interesting question, at least, I think.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You know, I'm not entirely sure I agree with you. Now, I'm also not entirely sure I disagree with you, but I think it's an interesting argument.

Say for a moment Josh Nesbitt was just as fast and quick as JT. Would you have taken Nesbitt's skill set or JT's?

JTs not entirely useless as an inside runner, and Nesbitt's not entirely useless as a passer, but you get the picture.

I get that, and I should probably specify what I mean better. Nesbitt was able to throw and keep teams honest. I'm talking about if a guy wasn't a good enough passer to keep teams honest. I wouldn't care if a guy could run up the middle but couldnt keep a team honest with the pass. I would rather have a guy who could keep guys honest with the pass but not run up the middle. Of course if Nesbit was as fast as JT I would take that with how he was able to pass over JT and his skill set.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I get that, and I should probably specify what I mean better. Nesbitt was able to throw and keep teams honest. I'm talking about if a guy wasn't a good enough passer to keep teams honest. I wouldn't care if a guy could run up the middle but couldnt keep a team honest with the pass. I would rather have a guy who could keep guys honest with the pass but not run up the middle. Of course if Nesbit was as fast as JT I would take that with how he was able to pass over JT and his skill set.
Gotcha. That said, I think you'd have to be a PRETTY bad passer to not be able to keep teams honest. Tevin Washington was good enough. Josh Nesbitt was good enough. Neither of those guys is any worse as a passer than Jordan, IMO.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
JT's strength wasn't inside rushes. He was a helluva rusher though and made some outstanding plays in 3rd and 4th and longs. He had strengths and weaknesses to his game, in both passing and rushing, but no glaring deficiencies. And overall has been our most prolific QB in the CPJ era imo.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Give me the power runner at QB and Calvin and D. Thomas at wr.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you start with a guy who can run the option, then when you add seeing the field and throwing the deep ball with touch, you blow the top off this offense. Running with power is important to me. Midlines and QB follows are important to me. However, I would give an edge to the passer over the power runner at QB, if forced to choose. You KNOW you are in great shape when you don't have to choose. This is what we have had, on a scale of 1-10 in important categories out of the QBs with a big enough sample size during CPJ's time:

Power running on interior JN-9, TW-7, VL-7, JT-3
Mastery of option JN-6, TW-8, VL-3, JT-7
Agility JN-8, TW-7, VL-5, JT-8
Elusiveness JN-6, TW-7, VL-5, JT-9
Arm Strength JN-9, TW-3, VL-8, JT-8
Speed JN-4, TW-5, VL-7, JT-9
Touch on deep ball JN-3, TW-5, VL-7, JT-8
Seeing the field JN-5, TW-8, VL-6, JT-6

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I agree with these however i would add one more category arm accuracy is almost more important than throw power in our offense. Take Tevin for example. While he might not have the strength to get the ball where it needed to be fast, he often knew exactly where to place it to give our guys the best chance at it. Something JT also excelled at. Washintons numbers were also depressed by the fact that Stephen Hill dropped so many wide open passes.

Power running on interior JN-9, TW-7, VL-7, JT-3
Mastery of option JN-6, TW-8, VL-3, JT-7
Agility JN-8, TW-7, VL-5, JT-8
Elusiveness JN-6, TW-7, VL-5, JT-9
Arm Strength JN-9, TW-3, VL-8, JT-8
Arm Accuracy JN-4, TW-7, VL 6, JT 8
Speed JN-4, TW-5, VL-7, JT-9
Touch on deep ball JN-3, TW-5, VL-7, JT-8
Seeing the field JN-5, TW-8, VL-6, JT-6