Key Fox
Daryl Smith
Recardo Wimbush
Matt Miller
Matt Uremovich
Delaunta Cameron
Ron Rogers
Keith Brooking

Night and day. Probably 8 guys from the previous 11 years I would take over anyone from the CPJ era.
There are some tough and really good players in that group. Wheeler was something else. One of the best.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Compare that to the 11 years before that:
Sedric Griffin
Brad Jefferson
Gary Guyton
Philip Wheeler
KaMichael Hall
Gerris Wilkinson
Key Fox
Daryl Smith
Recardo Wimbush
Matt Miller
Matt Uremovich
Delaunta Cameron
Ron Rogers
Keith Brooking

Night and day. Probably 8 guys from the previous 11 years I would take over anyone from the CPJ era.

Sedric and Jefferson made both lists...

I think it's fairly obvious that we haven't had as much success at recruiting NFL caliber linebackers as in the late '90's/early '00's, but I also don't think we have been devoid of talent in that position, or that they are garbage, as one troll here stated...

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
There are some tough and really good players in that group. Wheeler was something else. One of the best.

Yea, felt like we were linebacker U for a while. Big fast guys that brought the freakin wood. Had some safeties that played like LBs too (Dawan Landry Chris Reis). I’d love to be excited to watch us on D again...

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Let me clarify my post to say I'm not trying to put down our current talent. What I noticed from looking at our roster is that I count 6 pure LBs, which gives only a two deep at the position. Not good in case of injury. With NW's defense, we played some lighter, hybrid safety guys that I anticipate won't be as good of a fit if we go to a 4-3.

Looks like Swarmer might've blocked me (cause I made clear how asinine his post was about our LBs being garbage), so I'll reply to this one:

swarmer, I see you're already moving the goal posts. You didn't say anything about compared to previous years, or number of NFL players, or making an All-ACC team. You just said that our LBs were garbage the past 11 years. Your statement was ridiculous. Own it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Looks like Swarmer might've blocked me (cause I made clear how asinine his post was about our LBs being garbage), so I'll reply to this one:

swarmer, I see you're already moving the goal posts. You didn't say anything about compared to previous years, or number of NFL players, or making an All-ACC team. You just said that our LBs were garbage the past 11 years. Your statement was ridiculous. Own it.

I think the mods are cleaning this thread up.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Compare that to the 11 years before that:
Sedric Griffin
Brad Jefferson
Gary Guyton
Philip Wheeler
KaMichael Hall
Gerris Wilkinson
Key Fox
Daryl Smith
Recardo Wimbush
Matt Miller
Matt Uremovich
Delaunta Cameron
Ron Rogers
Keith Brooking

What's your point? The guy made an asinine statement that our LBs the past 11 years have been garbage. There was no mention of comparing to any earlier time period...just that they were garbage. It's a ridiculous statement. Why would you want to double down on his stupidity?

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

Mods deleted, that’s fine. Garbage a bad choice of words.

Our LBs in the past 11 years have dropped off in production significantly from the status quo that had been set. We have not had much NFL Talent or all ACC talent in that timeframe whereas we did before. Those are all facts.

I hope we improve our LB talent to look a lot more like 98-07, it would make a big difference in defensive performance.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Sometimes the other guy just makes an athletic play and you miss.
Yeah, except when you break down and tackle low, instead of launching high for a big hit, you miss a lot less. Plus, with today's targeting rules, if the QB just stands there and takes the hit, that's probably gonna be an ejection and +15 yards for the offense.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Mods deleted, that’s fine. Garbage a bad choice of words.

Our LBs in the past 11 years have dropped off in production significantly from the status quo that had been set. We have not had much NFL Talent or all ACC talent in that timeframe whereas we did before. Those are all facts.

I hope we improve our LB talent to look a lot more like 98-07, it would make a big difference in defensive performance.

That we can agree on.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What's your point? The guy made an asinine statement that our LBs the past 11 years have been garbage. There was no mention of comparing to any earlier time period...just that they were garbage. It's a ridiculous statement. Why would you want to double down on his stupidity?

I think it's safe to say our LB talent over the past 11 years was somewhere between below average and mediocre. We were basically Linebacker U and CPJ pissed that away.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Slant= watch the 3 DLineman simultaneously go left into the next gap
Sorry I did not put a sarcastic emoji .
I was trying to point out its absence at gt and say please be innovative in the blitzing.

The video shown is a legal slant i.e. d l not grabbing and dragging ol to make blitz more effective. While it is illegal it is seldom called - kind of like o l holding. Here is too hoping we coach up players and call plays as a unit.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Didn’t recruit good LBs? Also switching defensive schemes every 2-3 years didn’t help player development.

4-2-5, 3-4, 4-3,3-4, now back to 4-3. How often did our personnel we recruited actually fit the scheme we were trying to run?

For purposes of comparison, here are the available rankings for the LBs that were listed, per 247.

Sedric Griffin 3* 0.8111
Brad Jefferson 3* 0.8545
Gary Guyton 2* 0.7889
Philip Wheeler 3* 0.8000
KaMichael Hall 3* 0.8333
Gerris Wilkinson Pre-rankings
Key Fox Pre-rankings
Daryl Smith Pre-rankings
Recardo Wimbush Pre-rankings
Matt Miller Pre-rankings
Matt Uremovich Pre-rankings
Delaunta Cameron Pre-rankings
Ron Rogers Pre-rankings
Keith Brooking Pre-rankings

Here are some CPJ LB recruits

Quayshawn Nealy 3* 0.8590
Jeremiah Attaochu 3*0.8510
Brandon Watts 3* 0.8622
Julian Burnett 3* 0.8288
Jabari Hunt-Days 3* 0.8797
Justice Dingle 3* 0.8770
Bruce Jordan-Swilling 4* 0.9182
Victor Alexander 3* 0.8650

The data does not support your narrative. The LBs we recruited were actually ranked higher out of HS than most of the ones listed. Granted, some of the pre-rankings guys would have probably been even higher, but the point remains. The falloff wasn't in recruiting. We can argue that player development of LBs was not ideal, and I would also agree that your assertion of the changing DCs hurt development as well. That was not a CPJ problem though. Development of the defensive players falls on the DC.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
For purposes of comparison, here are the available rankings for the LBs that were listed, per 247.

Sedric Griffin 3* 0.8111
Brad Jefferson 3* 0.8545
Gary Guyton 2* 0.7889
Philip Wheeler 3* 0.8000
KaMichael Hall 3* 0.8333
Gerris Wilkinson Pre-rankings
Key Fox Pre-rankings
Daryl Smith Pre-rankings
Recardo Wimbush Pre-rankings
Matt Miller Pre-rankings
Matt Uremovich Pre-rankings
Delaunta Cameron Pre-rankings
Ron Rogers Pre-rankings
Keith Brooking Pre-rankings

Here are some CPJ LB recruits

Quayshawn Nealy 3* 0.8590
Jeremiah Attaochu 3*0.8510
Brandon Watts 3* 0.8622
Julian Burnett 3* 0.8288
Jabari Hunt-Days 3* 0.8797
Justice Dingle 3* 0.8770
Bruce Jordan-Swilling 4* 0.9182
Victor Alexander 3* 0.8650

The data does not support your narrative. The LBs we recruited were actually ranked higher out of HS than most of the ones listed. Granted, some of the pre-rankings guys would have probably been even higher, but the point remains. The falloff wasn't in recruiting. We can argue that player development of LBs was not ideal, and I would also agree that your assertion of the changing DCs hurt development as well. That was not a CPJ problem though. Development of the defensive players falls on the DC.

I know I'm beating my head against the wall with you on this but there were rankings for those guys you label as pre-rankings and many of them were rated very highly coming out of HS.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I know I'm beating my head against the wall with you on this but there were rankings for those guys you label as pre-rankings and many of them were rated very highly coming out of HS.
Bowers-Wilkinson was 4 star. Darryl Smith was a 3 star, but he was rated like 20-something best LB in the country. It was a big deal when we got him because the Dwags wanted him.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Did you read my post? I am guessing you skimmed it. My exact quote: "Granted, some of the pre-rankings guys would have probably been even higher,..."

That being said, even given the stipulation that they were rated high, we don't have an accurate way to compare the disparate ratings systems used.

None of this, however, changes the point. The assertion was that CPJ tanked recruiting, when in fact, LB recruiting actually increased on a per recruit rating under his tenure.

But you're driving the same narrative, so these facts probably won't slow you down...

Natehosch

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think recruicting the LB's was a big gap... I think it was mainly the development of those guys...