Great breakdown of Geoff Collins defensive schemes

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Now that we're most likely moving back to a 4-3 or even if we don't I'd like to see Austin Smith moved back to Dline. Probably a better fit for him since we're moving away from the triple.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think 4-3 still fits our personnel best. Adams was picking up the nose very well but that translates to DT in a 4-3 just fine. I think Glanton fits a 4-3 better also and I think he can play a DE spot. Chris Martin will benefit from switch to 4-3 DT imo. I also think it’s easier to find solid 4-3 DEs than solid 3-4 OLBs.

I’m pretty excited about the D while still being nervous about O. I think we had a lot of abacks last year that could slide to slot WRs easily. This year??? I’m worried about the WR corps in a heavy pass scheme.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I think 4-3 still fits our personnel best. Adams was picking up the nose very well but that translates to DT in a 4-3 just fine. I think Glanton fits a 4-3 better also and I think he can play a DE spot. Chris Martin will benefit from switch to 4-3 DT imo. I also think it’s easier to find solid 4-3 DEs than solid 3-4 OLBs.

I’m pretty excited about the D while still being nervous about O. I think we had a lot of abacks last year that could slide to slot WRs easily. This year??? I’m worried about the WR corps in a heavy pass scheme.
I’m kinda glad we’re going back to the 4-3 and getting bigger on the front 7 vs going the undersized route.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm seeing a lot of posts that we fit a 4-3 better because of defensive line players and the idea that they're not heavy or big enough. 3-4 often shifts one or two outside linebackers into rush end positions, and even if they don't the offensive line still has as many people to block in the front 7.
To me, a nose tackle is key to make a 3-4 work, but the other players you want are a couple of stout inner linebackers, and a Quayshawn Nealy outside linebacker or two who'll create havoc. Our DL was and is fine for Woody's 3-4. They got their job done this year. We're missing the havoc creating outside linebacker or two and the middle linebackers who'll shed blocks and dominate the center of the field.
If we go to a 4-3, we still need 3 disruptive linebackers, and one beefy tough inside LB. That's the group that, through training or strength gains or something, are going to have to step up for us to have a solid defense next year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You can see the Tenuta influence in CGC scheme. Cant wait to check it in the Spring

First thing i noticed is trash cans.

Looks alot of man and 3 deep. Maybe not as much 3 as jon though. The line slides and fires are very much tenuta like. And how they attack gap assignments vs head up.

Good d scheme. Woody has a similar one in a 3-4. We are good either way. I think with paul gone the d will improve just due to eyes and reps vs a normal O. I have always said this is a big deal although its a controversial topic. But two dc that were here both told me it does hurt.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
I think with paul gone the d will improve just due to eyes and reps vs a normal O. I have always said this is a big deal although its a controversial topic. But two dc that were here both told me it does hurt.

I agree with this and think that is why we had 4 DC's in 11 years.
All of Spring football and two a days are spent practicing and game planning against each other, meaning offense vs defense. 1st string vs 1st string, 2nd, vs 2nd...
As a defensive player, depending on the position you play, you have certain keys to read, whether its an OL stance, line splits, formation, motion, etc.
I have a hard time believing that spending all that time in practice preparing to face the option (and the blocking schemes, techniques that we used) in the upcoming scrimmages/spring game did much good in preparing the D for the types of offenses we were going to see on the schedule. I also think the lack of passing we did meant we pass blocked rather poorly which meant the DL lacked getting good reps in 1 on 1 pass rush drills and during Team against good pass blocking OL.

If I spent all spring and fall camp preparing for cut blocking and option responsibilities, I would be behind the 8 ball when scout teams were assigned and we split off into game 1 preparation. Maybe it is hard to explain and/or realize unless you have went through it. When the LBs and secondary are doing pass skelly, the line breaks off to do one on one pass rush. I feel practicing one on one pass rush in spring and fall camp against guys like Jon Carman, Craig Page, Chris Brown, helped prepare us for the size, strength, and technique, we were gonna see during the season. The same goes for run blocking schemes/technique. Playing against alot of cut blocking has you using your hands differently than you do against more conventional technique.

anyway, my 2 cents FWIW. I am optimistic that our D will have more practical practice and preparation based on the lack of option.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
First thing i noticed is trash cans.

Looks alot of man and 3 deep. Maybe not as much 3 as jon though. The line slides and fires are very much tenuta like. And how they attack gap assignments vs head up.

Good d scheme. Woody has a similar one in a 3-4. We are good either way. I think with paul gone the d will improve just due to eyes and reps vs a normal O. I have always said this is a big deal although its a controversial topic. But two dc that were here both told me it does hurt.

All of Spring football and two a days are spent practicing and game planning against each other, meaning offense vs defense. 1st string vs 1st string, 2nd, vs 2nd...
As a defensive player, depending on the position you play, you have certain keys to read, whether its an OL stance, line splits, formation, motion, etc.
I have a hard time believing that spending all that time in practice preparing to face the option (and the blocking schemes, techniques that we used) in the upcoming scrimmages/spring game did much good in preparing the D for the types of offenses we were going to see on the schedule. I also think the lack of passing we did meant we pass blocked rather poorly which meant the DL lacked getting good reps in 1 on 1 pass rush drills and during Team against good pass blocking OL.

If I spent all spring and fall camp preparing for cut blocking and option responsibilities, I would be behind the 8 ball when scout teams were assigned and we split off into game 1 preparation. Maybe it is hard to explain and/or realize unless you have went through it. When the LBs and secondary are doing pass skelly, the line breaks off to do one on one pass rush. I feel practicing one on one pass rush in spring and fall camp against guys like Jon Carman, Craig Page, Chris Brown, helped prepare us for the size, strength, and technique, we were gonna see during the season. The same goes for run blocking schemes/technique. Playing against alot of cut blocking has you using your hands differently than you do against more conventional technique.

anyway, my 2 cents FWIW. I am optimistic that our D will have more practical practice and preparation based on the lack of option.

I think there is some truth to this. I’ve always been and remain skeptical that it has been a big part of our struggles on D.

Not facing as much pass pro technique and the Carmen/Chris Brown type guys obviously makes sense. If it’s a significant issue...it’s gonna be a couple of years before we reap big rewards in the change as we don’t have any prototypical OTs now much less All conf caliber OTs.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Agree 100 percent. I first brought this up 11 years ago to much debate. Its got to hurt. Or help now