Great breakdown of Geoff Collins defensive schemes

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It hurt in areas, the biggest being developing pass rushers, but as guy said in the film breakdown imagine if we were better open field tacklers this year. That 43rd ranked D might be Top 25

a ton of missed tackles. Some was young dudes in secondary (actually alot especially on DB's trying to squeeze plays) not so much talent, they need more time/reps; and others were a certain position with talent issues and alligator arm tackling etc. I felt the DL held their own and even OLB were coming along (still missed tackles, but I could see improvement)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It hurt in areas, the biggest being developing pass rushers, but as guy said in the film breakdown imagine if we were better open field tacklers this year. That 43rd ranked D might be Top 25

They were all anticipating the blind cut block from an ABack or Crack from a WR. It made them just that small bit hesitant.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I think 4-3 still fits our personnel best. Adams was picking up the nose very well but that translates to DT in a 4-3 just fine. I think Glanton fits a 4-3 better also and I think he can play a DE spot. Chris Martin will benefit from switch to 4-3 DT imo. I also think it’s easier to find solid 4-3 DEs than solid 3-4 OLBs.

I’m pretty excited about the D while still being nervous about O. I think we had a lot of abacks last year that could slide to slot WRs easily. This year??? I’m worried about the WR corps in a heavy pass scheme.

Who do you think would play DE for us next year? I can't think of any known quantities off the top of my head.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
A cool gif i found on a CGC blitz

Attacking the “slide” pass protection
giphy.gif

Slant away from RB

DE occupies RB. & HBack while the LB close thru the RB gap

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Thomas may have to shift to SLB.

Owens, Glanton, Adams, Dingle/Jones

The Rover & Stinger positions are in flux.

Some may turn to SAMS & WILLS.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

giphy.gif

Slant away from RB

Slant ?
Wow that looks like it could Make Defense Fun.
No getting cokes as the bend and break let's them use clock to get in red zone.

Go Jackets

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

giphy.gif

Slant away from RB

Is this a called blitz or a linebacker recognizing the RB is staying in to block and making a play? I can't always tell the difference between the two and would appreciate the insight.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow

giphy.gif

Slant away from RB

#11 whiffing on his tackle gave me flashbacks of the last couple years. Sick of seeing guys leave their feet and/or try to tackle high. How do you teach someone and get it through their head so that they tackle correctly IN THE GAME?

@Ibeeballin if you're coaching LBers right here, is missing the tackle something you talk about? What I mean more is "If anything you want to flush the QB left towards your help". In this case if #6 doesn't beat BOTH the OT and the RB, the QB is run for a first down. Maybe #3 gets there and maybe he just gets blocked by the RB.

Same question for you as above - how do you get your guys to come in on the blitz hard and fast but stay under control during the tackle? Is that something you can really develop during college or are you just fighting bad habits from high school forever?

For our team in 18, I think our bad tackling has been due to thinking about what they need to be doing, and thus being a step slow, which makes their angles look bad, resulting in a whiffed arm tackle instead of getting helmet on the correct side and wrapping up. Lol that or we just suck. Not sure which.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
#11 whiffing on his tackle gave me flashbacks of the last couple years. Sick of seeing guys leave their feet and/or try to tackle high. How do you teach someone and get it through their head so that they tackle correctly IN THE GAME?

@Ibeeballin if you're coaching LBers right here, is missing the tackle something you talk about? What I mean more is "If anything you want to flush the QB left towards your help". In this case if #6 doesn't beat BOTH the OT and the RB, the QB is run for a first down. Maybe #3 gets there and maybe he just gets blocked by the RB.

Same question for you as above - how do you get your guys to come in on the blitz hard and fast but stay under control during the tackle? Is that something you can really develop during college or are you just fighting bad habits from high school forever?

For our team in 18, I think our bad tackling has been due to thinking about what they need to be doing, and thus being a step slow, which makes their angles look bad, resulting in a whiffed arm tackle instead of getting helmet on the correct side and wrapping up. Lol that or we just suck. Not sure which.

Sometimes the other guy just makes an athletic play and you miss.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Let me clarify my post to say I'm not trying to put down our current talent. What I noticed from looking at our roster is that I count 6 pure LBs, which gives only a two deep at the position. Not good in case of injury. With NW's defense, we played some lighter, hybrid safety guys that I anticipate won't be as good of a fit if we go to a 4-3.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not garbage:

Jaquez Jackson
Jaquan Henderson
Brandon Watts
Julian Burnett
PJ Davis
Sedric Griffin
Brad Jefferson

And that's just off the top of my head.

Oh yeah, before you come back with some silly reply about some of the above not being CPJ guys, you said 11 years, so 2018 minus 11 years goes back to 2007, so save it.

Compare that to the 11 years before that:
Sedric Griffin
Brad Jefferson
Gary Guyton
Philip Wheeler
KaMichael Hall
Gerris Wilkinson
Key Fox
Daryl Smith
Recardo Wimbush
Matt Miller
Matt Uremovich
Delaunta Cameron
Ron Rogers
Keith Brooking

Night and day. Probably 8 guys from the previous 11 years I would take over anyone from the CPJ era.