Great AJC Article

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Those were updated weight Fall 2018. These are the 2 deep weight from bowl game vs. Minnesota

Quinney 6-6 276lb
Ivemeyer 6-1 270lb

Braun 6-3 280lb
Clark 6-4 280lb

Cooper 6-3 305lb
Lee 6-2 287lb

Hansen 6-2 310lb
Morgan 6-4 288lb

Marshall 6-4 282lb
Bryan 6-4 285lb

This horse has beaten to death, researched and proven what the actual avg weight was. Was CGC exaggerating the 260lbs? What was the avg weight. It was more like 272

Was CPJ recruiting 260lb OL? Yes

Point taken, but not sure how you got to that 272 calculation. The average of the 10 guys you listed is 286. The average of the 5 starters is 291. The average of the five lightest players is 278.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So what? It’s not where you start, it’s how we develop them and where they end up.
I think we all agree
Change to non option pass blocking favors ol who weigh more, are stronger and who preferably have quick feet and long arms.

The option blocking favored agile strong smart ol men who when needed could get into space and shield the runner.

The smaller guy in pass blocking is the exception.

(Shamire did well in 14 orange bowl when we went massive ol. Another year at vt first half he could not pull block. In second we put bryan back in and scored 2 tds on pull block and downfield blocks. )

In football ol injury is likely in football - both game, practice and training. Asking a massive ol to block option style or asking a smaller ol to pass block is going to get more injuries.

Imo, our carry over ol guys got bigger but were more injury prone (Smith) . Some of the new guys were rushed to play bigger - after injury an ol who was medicaled was at tailgate= weighs no more than 220 -230.

With this years ol class we finally have a sustainable mix of large upper class men to freshmen.
Plus Key has a new training team with titles like "strength" = ol and "speed" = wr. This will focus responsibility success in the ol - ol recruits will see they have a specialized trainer.

Finally - in 15 ND post game both teams exited from North end zone: the ND ol dl were all giants. We had 2 or 3 but they looked like pro team.

I stopped believing the program publised weights - shamire was way above 340.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
People are\ still talking about CPJ and you think they’re going to stop talking about Collins this quickly :ROFLMAO:
There were people who came down on either side of the CPJ and the efficacy of his program debate. I don't think there's any ambiguity that everyone is generally negative about Collins, probably ranging from -2 to -10 on a 1-10 scale.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There were people who came down on either side of the CPJ and the efficacy of his program debate. I don't think there's any ambiguity that everyone is generally negative about Collins, probably ranging from -2 to -10 on a 1-10 scale.
I was initially excited about Collins marketing approach, as I thought it might help and I assumed we was at least a reasonably adequate coach. My excitement was completely gone by the end of the Citadel game when it became apparent that he didn’t have a clue how to manage a game.

He is easily the worst professional coach in program history, and honestly it’s not even close to the other guy (who was also pretty bad).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think both Paul and Chan were exemplars of what we need to do at Tech: recruit skills that fit and develop them. That's what Wake has been doing and very successfully too. The Deacs came in at 52 in the 247 rankings. Does anyone doubt that three years from now Clawson won't have that class eating the lunch of other ACC teams with much higher "rankings"? I hope not because that program knows what it wants and recruits for it, just like Paul and Chan did. (Andrew Gardener is my all time favorite example of this: a 2 star OT that develops into a starting pro at the position.) TFG never seemed to realize that player development within a useful scheme is the road to success at programs like Tech. I think Key gets this. Now all we have to do is hope we'll have the patience to allow it to happen.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My excitement was completely gone by the end of the Citadel game when it became apparent that he didn’t have a clue how to manage a game.

He is easily the worst professional coach in program history, and honestly it’s not even close to the other guy (who was also pretty bad).
I left at the half and as I went down the steps I yelled at a section of Tech fans, "What should the score be right now if Johnson was still coach? 24 to nothing!" They all looked surprised and a few gave em a high sign. Never did anything like that before and I hope I never have to again.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think both Paul and Chan were exemplars of what we need to do at Tech: recruit skills that fit and develop them. That's what Wake has been doing and very successfully too. The Deacs came in at 52 in the 247 rankings. Does anyone doubt that three years from now Clawson won't have that class eating the lunch of other ACC teams with much higher "rankings"? I hope not because that program knows what it wants and recruits for it, just like Paul and Chan did. (Andrew Gardener is my all time favorite example of this: a 2 star OT that develops into a starting pro at the position.) TFG never seemed to realize that player development within a useful scheme is the road to success at programs like Tech. I think Key gets this. Now all we have to do is hope we'll have the patience to allow it to happen.

Yes i do doubt it and this yr was a prime why you don’t want to follow that model. Fortunately, for them they don’t schedule difficult OOC games like, but 3-5 in the ACC and anytime you played a faltered. Give me the Utah, Wisconsin, & Iowa. With the typical five to eight plus 4* per class while playing tough football

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
So what? It’s not where you start, it’s how we develop them and where they end up.
Because words have meanings and there is a big *** difference in a recruits weight and they’re playing weight after several years in a program. Johnson did recruit 260 pound linemen. I don’t know why some of you are so bent out of a shape about it. Geez. Don’t try to change the conversation though.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Because words have meanings and there is a big *** difference in a recruits weight and they’re playing weight after several years in a program. Johnson did recruit 260 pound linemen. I don’t know why some of you are so bent out of a shape about it. Geez. Don’t try to change the conversation though.
Yeah, and he took us to 2 Orange Bowls and 3 wins over Uga with those guys, because we actually developed them and knew what to do with them.

So what if the last guy recruited heavier linemen. We couldn’t do squat with them.

Hopefully this new staff can do both.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I left at the half and as I went down the steps I yelled at a section of Tech fans, "What should the score be right now if Johnson was still coach? 24 to nothing!" They all looked surprised and a few gave em a high sign. Never did anything like that before and I hope I never have to again.
If he had been transitioning to a balanced run pass offense and having lost 8 defensive starters (plus Adams on the D-line), it might have been 24 nothing--in favor of The Citadel.

People forget that it took a late FG in Johnson's first year to beat Gardner Webb--and that Tech team was a lot more talented than the team that lost to The Citadel. And I'd argue that The Citadel team was better than Gardner Webb.

Johnson knew what he had coming back when he picked the end of the 2018 season to retire. He lost all those starters on D (who weren't that great anyway) and his starting QB on offense. And who recruited those guys? Johnson might have won 4 games in 2019 with that team. Then the schedules got harder. He knew when to retire, but to place all the blame on Collins as people do just shows a lack of football knowledge.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
If he had been transitioning to a balanced run pass offense and having lost 8 defensive starters (plus Adams on the D-line), it might have been 24 nothing--in favor of The Citadel.

People forget that it took a late FG in Johnson's first year to beat Gardner Webb--and that Tech team was a lot more talented than the team that lost to The Citadel. And I'd argue that The Citadel team was better than Gardner Webb.

Johnson knew what he had coming back when he picked the end of the 2018 season to retire. He lost all those starters on D (who weren't that great anyway) and his starting QB on offense. And who recruited those guys? Johnson might have won 4 games in 2019 with that team. Then the schedules got harder. He knew when to retire, but to place all the blame on Collins as people do just shows a lack of football knowledge.
We won 8 games that first year, and beat Uga. It’s called getting better as the year goes on. Oh yeah, we were playing our 3rd string QB against Gardner Webb. Booker had no business running that offense, but we didn’t have a choice, due to the circumstances. Yet, we found a way to win. That’s what CPJ did vs the other guy.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope at some point Collins, Johnson, Chan, etc. are not talked about so much. The landscape has dramatically changed since their tenures...including Collins. Here are a few:

-dramatic revenue difference between Big 10 and SEC and remainder of Power 5
-transfer portal without sitting out a year
-NIL money

I don't know if you can project how any of the previous coaches would do since other than Collins at the end none of them how to deal with these circumstances. Key went in knowing all of this. Hopefully he understands the strategy to make GT a consistent bowl team and occasional competing for ACC title

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes i do doubt it and this yr was a prime why you don’t want to follow that model. Fortunately, for them they don’t schedule difficult OOC games like, but 3-5 in the ACC and anytime you played a faltered. Give me the Utah, Wisconsin, & Iowa. With the typical five to eight plus 4* per class while playing tough football
Watch their game with Clemson, did you? They lost in double overtime by 3 points. Same with UNC and Puke. And they won their bowl game and finished with 8 wins.

I'd like to see something like you are talking about myself. But, again, I doubt Tech can get "five to eight plus 4* per class" regularly. Maybe Key can reach that but history is against him. Oth, a development program for a bunch of mid to high 3* players is well within our wheelhouse. Throw in the occasional 2 - 3 4* players and you're getting somewhere. But it won't be fast.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, and he took us to 2 Orange Bowls and 3 wins over Uga with those guys, because we actually developed them and knew what to do with them.

So what if the last guy recruited heavier linemen. We couldn’t do squat with them.

Hopefully this new staff can do both.
Congrats? No one is disputing his results. We are just discussing facts. I'm not sure why your panties are in a bunch about someone quoting the weights of his OL recruits.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Congrats? No one is disputing his results. We are just discussing facts. I'm not sure why your panties are in a bunch about someone quoting the weights of his OL recruits.
And I’m not sure why yours are moist over some a little heavier that didn’t perform as well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope at some point Collins, Johnson, Chan, etc. are not talked about so much. The landscape has dramatically changed since their tenures...including Collins. Here are a few:

-dramatic revenue difference between Big 10 and SEC and remainder of Power 5
-transfer portal without sitting out a year
-NIL money

I don't know if you can project how any of the previous coaches would do since other than Collins at the end none of them how to deal with these circumstances. Key went in knowing all of this. Hopefully he understands the strategy to make GT a consistent bowl team and occasional competing for ACC title
Consistent bowl - how does that work out if we have top 12 duke it out in playoffs.
Top 4 sit out while other 8 play 4 games. Then 4 games to get to new years 4. Thats 8 very good games to crowd out the blah bowls.

It s aim for playoffs and then settle for the few remaining bowls.