Great AJC Article

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

My favorite quote: "Yet another priority – bringing in transfers who have more than one season of eligibility remaining. Of the six players coming to Tech through the portal, four have more than one year left to play. In Collins’ tenure, that did not appear to be of importance.

The two transfers with one season of eligibility remaining are linebackers, Andre White (Texas A&M) and Braelen Oliver (Minnesota). Both arrive as the Jackets lose Charlie Thomas and Ayinde Eley, who both started at linebacker for the past two seasons.

“When you’re developing a football team, you develop a team to win and win as soon as you can, but at the same time, you’re not going to forsake that for Year 2, Year 3, Year 4,” Key said. “So there’s got to be a process, and there’s got to be a way of doing things, and you can’t change.”"

I've been complaining a lot about the one year remaining eligibility transfers. Looks like Key aims to fix that issue.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
In Collins’ tenure, that did not appear to be of importance.
Collins did a lot of things wrong, but I’m not sure this is one of them.
Ace Eley, Keion White, Pierce Quick, Paul Tchio, RJ Adams, Luke Benson, Zach Gibson, Khari Gee, Eric Reed, Taisun Phommachanh, Makius Scott, Kevin Harris, Nick Pendley, Kenyatta Watson, Derrik Allen.

Those are all transfers that were brought in under Collins with more than 1 year of eligibility. I think the group of transfers we got this year are fine, but not sure why Ken decided to throw in the verifiably untrue line.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My favorite quote: "Yet another priority – bringing in transfers who have more than one season of eligibility remaining. Of the six players coming to Tech through the portal, four have more than one year left to play. In Collins’ tenure, that did not appear to be of importance.

Your favorite quote is a throw junk at the wall and hope nobody notices line?

Luke Benson - two years
Zach Gibson - three years
Pierce Quick - three years
Paul Tchio - three years
Ahmari Harvey - four years
Khari Gee - four years
Corey Robison - four years
Dylan McDuffie - two years
KJ Wallace - three years
Eric Reed - four years
RJ Adams - three years
Taisun Phommachanh - three years
Christian Burkhalter - four years

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Ace Eley, Keion White, Pierce Quick, Paul Tchio, RJ Adams, Luke Benson, Zach Gibson, Khari Gee, Eric Reed, Taisun Phommachanh, Makius Scott, Kevin Harris, Nick Pendley, Kenyatta Watson, Derrik Allen.

Those are all transfers that were brought in under Collins with more than 1 year of eligibility. I think the group of transfers we got this year are fine, but not sure why Ken decided to throw in the verifiably untrue line.
I think KS included it because it was said by HCBK during the presser. Listen to what he says beginning at the 6:30 mark.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Your favorite quote is a throw junk at the wall and hope nobody notices line?

Luke Benson - two years
Zach Gibson - three years
Pierce Quick - three years
Paul Tchio - three years
Ahmari Harvey - four years
Khari Gee - four years
Corey Robison - four years
Dylan McDuffie - two years
KJ Wallace - three years
Eric Reed - four years
RJ Adams - three years
Taisun Phommachanh - three years
Christian Burkhalter - four years

Early in his tenure, Collins brought in a lot of one and done transfers. Almost any transfer who has seen significant playing time has done so as a short eligibility transfer. Last year was the first year we really saw a break away from that mold. My favorite part was not digging in the weeds about how many is too many, but rather this bit at the end:

“When you’re developing a football team, you develop a team to win and win as soon as you can, but at the same time, you’re not going to forsake that for Year 2, Year 3, Year 4,” Key said. “So there’s got to be a process, and there’s got to be a way of doing things, and you can’t change.”

I added the rest for context, but one of my biggest gripes with Collins is he kept getting away from what he was actually good at, which is recruiting HS athletes. Trying to patch holes with transfers was never going to be a long term solution. I think Key gets this.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Early in his tenure, Collins brought in a lot of one and done transfers. Almost any transfer who has seen significant playing time has done so as a short eligibility transfer. Last year was the first year we really saw a break away from that mold. My favorite part was not digging in the weeds about how many is too many, but rather this bit at the end:

Here are the one and dones Collins brought in for the 19, 20, and 21 classes.

Tyler Davis - added as TE when Collins first got here. We had no TEs on roster so makes sense.
Jared Southers
Devin Cochran
Ryan Johnson
Kyric McGowan
Kenneth Kirby
Brent Cimaglia

So about two a year. Similar to last year. Similar to this class.

And of course Collins brought in a higher % of one year transfers early in his tenure. It's almost like there was a rule change that happened the greatly impacted the way transfers were handled.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I do not think KS implied Collins did not bring multi-year transfers.

"In Collins’ tenure, that did not appear to be of importance."

There is more than a subtle difference there.

The jury is still out on this recruiting class (including the transfers), so I am not jumping with joy right now. That said, Key seems to have focused on filling the immediate needs at LB and WR with guys who can actually hit field next fall.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I do not think KS implied Collins did not bring multi-year transfers.

"In Collins’ tenure, that did not appear to be of importance."

There is more than a subtle difference there.

The jury is still out on this recruiting class (including the transfers), so I am not jumping with joy right now. That said, Key seems to have focused on filling the immediate needs at LB and WR with guys who can actually hit field next fall.
The vast majority of transfers that were brought in post-2019 had multiple years of eligibility left, though. I just think it’s something a little bit silly to make a big point about when it’s really not true anyway.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it was Ken...I think HCBK revealed some frustration with too many one and done's signed by the previous administration. Ken was just picking up on that.
I have enjoyed my subscription to rivals.

I think Kelly and Key were referingvto the ol transition .

On rivals there has been a discussion about the transition of the ol. It is led by Kelly with specifics names and numbers. Collins year 1 = zero ol recruits, then injuries, some misses in ol, then w Gibbs need instant help to support a generatal talent = grad transfer ol, last year a good mix of transfer and hs recruits.

This past year we had one returning starter in the ol. This year we have all 5 starters returning. Under Key this year 6 hs ol were recruited.

Key said in interview seen them in camps, at practices and in games so low ratings are ok

Imo, key wants a different type strength training. THIS COULD BE BIG CHANGE .

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have enjoyed my subscription to rivals.

I think Kelly and Key were referingvto the ol transition .

On rivals there has been a discussion about the transition of the ol. It is led by Kelly with specifics names and numbers. Collins year 1 = zero ol recruits, then injuries, some misses in ol, then w Gibbs need instant help to support a generatal talent = grad transfer ol, last year a good mix of transfer and hs recruits.

This past year we had one returning starter in the ol. This year we have all 5 starters returning. Under Key this year 6 hs ol were recruited.

Key said in interview seen them in camps, at practices and in games so low ratings are ok

Imo, key wants a different type strength training. THIS COULD BE BIG CHANGE .
I agree. Key is clearly going the "development" route rather than recruit 4-5 star guys route.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the bigger problem with Collins’ transfers is that he simply targeted guys that were ranked high out of high school, so he could boast about their recruiting ranking. Guys like Ezzard, Clayton, Harris, Watson, Harvey, Tchio, Phom etc who couldn’t earn any playing time their previous stops and haven’t been able to contribute here. His recruiting was all focused on optics to create talking points.

Key is seemingly looking to fill gaps with players that have proven something at their previous stop.
Immediate need at LB - bring on two very experienced seniors
Depth/talent need at QB - a talented guy that played 2 seasons at TAMU
Slot - one of the best portal targets
RB - go find a guy that has peformed on our league

Only TE hasn’t proven anything yet; and I think he’s hesitant to take a SR there given benson and Leonard are SRs next year. So we needed a talented guy that also provided future depth.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think the bigger problem with Collins’ transfers is that he simply targeted guys that were ranked high out of high school, so he could boast about their recruiting ranking. Guys like Ezzard, Clayton, Harris, Watson, Harvey, Tchio, Phom etc who couldn’t earn any playing time their previous stops and haven’t been able to contribute here. His recruiting was all focused on optics to create talking points.

Key is seemingly looking to fill gaps with players that have proven something at their previous stop.
Immediate need at LB - bring on two very experienced seniors
Depth/talent need at QB - a talented guy that played 2 seasons at TAMU
Slot - one of the best portal targets
RB - go find a guy that has peformed on our league

Only TE hasn’t proven anything yet; and I think he’s hesitant to take a SR there given benson and Leonard are SRs next year. So we needed a talented guy that also provided future depth.
Patching holes with transfers is what you have to do. If you replace transfers out with recruits, then you get young and stay young. That's a recipe for losing. You recruit guys and develop them, but if they leave you do what you have to do.

As you point out, Key's bringing in quality transfers, ones who have proven they can play, as opposed to guys who were highly rated out of high school but have proven they can't.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Key is clearly going the "development" route rather than recruit 4-5 star guys route.
This year Yes, hopefully next season and next recruiting cycle Key proves that he can win games, and the staff builds recruiting relationships with higher rated kids early which is super important.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The vast majority of transfers that were brought in post-2019 had multiple years of eligibility left, though. I just think it’s something a little bit silly to make a big point about when it’s really not true anyway.
Extra Covid year helped too. That will go away soon enough. That may slow down some of the transfer madness, but I am sure will not stop it. Makes me wonder why so many of these kids want to transfer. Did they find out D1 football was not what they expected? Location turned out to be more significant than they thought. Shopping for more NIL $ ?

slugboy

Staff member
I could post this in the Early Signing Day thread, but it seems OK here.

Here’s the official RamblinReck signing day page: https://ramblinwreck.com/signing-day-2023/

I count 5 linebackers in the class so far. I count 4 wide receivers. I count three defensive backs. I count five offensive linemen. Two running backs and 1 quarterback. I see 4 defensive linemen, mostly ends/edge. One tight end. That’s how the 25 splits up.

If I recall correctly, we’ve gone heavier on defensive backs the past few years.

On the offensive line, we have recruited an entire line. My read of the situation is that we were recruiting just enough before to field a good line, but not if we missed on our evaluation of a player or two or lost some to injury. I think we have “extra” OL players now, and we recruited for development. If one of the players doesn’t pan out, the player next to them will (in theory). I think we did evaluation, but it’s also a lottery strategy—we have enough players that we can luck out and get a first year starter or maybe two, and other players will step up in year two or three.

On the defensive line, we’ve also recruited an entire defensive line (in numbers).

At wide receiver, we didn’t pull any 6’6” players. Our transfer tight end is 6’3”, which seems small for a P5 TE. These guys will have to be fast and have reliable hands. I don’t know if we succeeded in our recruiting this year, but one of our big issues is that we dropped too many passes. I’ve looked at the stats after one of our games, and for some reason ESPN didn’t record a lot of dropped passes when I saw a lot of dropped passes. We need good hands in our receiving corps.

The linebackers should see immediate time on special teams—a lot of players will. I think we made up this year for under recruiting linebackers in previous years.

We took a large class here, and I think it’s a gamble that we not only see potential where a lot of other P5 teams didn’t, but also that we can bring out the potential.

This class is unusually big and unusually light in 4* players. It’s the same kind of class that Paul Johnson was pulling in, but bigger.

Last edited: