Gotsis targeting

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To me one other factor is the time the player has before the hit. I certainly targeted players when I had time to decide how and where I was going to deliver the blow. If Gotsis was free (unblocked) for several steps prior to contacting the qb and then hit him head to head I would have understood the call. As it was, his path was altered by the off lineman and his goal was just to get to the qb. The fact that they were lined up perfectly was just how it worked out. Typically you want to come in "high" since you also are trying to block/disrupt the throw.
He was being held for crysakes. He broke away from the hold and was right on top of the qb.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
why is this still an issue?
to me the bigger issue is what happened with Jabari Hunt? He was supposed to be the anchor in the D line, counterpoint to Gotsis, almost fearsome to behold. His name is never mentioned, almost as though he is not on the field. Too bad.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I saw that call, simply horrible. I could not believe it was upheld on review. But that's what we've come to expect from ACC officials.
Just watched the replay. If the wr doesn't duck his head on contact, the tackler's head hits him in the chest/shoulder. Bad call. There's no way to eliminate all helmet contact in football. Sometimes it happens and it's nobody's fault.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the replay. If the wr doesn't duck his head on contact, the tackler's head hits him in the chest/shoulder. Bad call. There's no way to eliminate all helmet contact in football. Sometimes it happens and it's nobody's fault.

What bothered me the most was the defender slid his head to his right to make sure he didn't go helmet to helmet. He helmet impacted the left shoulder of the offensive player and he wrapped him up. The inconsistency in the targeting call is crazy and this crew is notorious in ACC circles.

What bothered me the most was the defender slid his head to his right to make sure he didn't go helmet to helmet. He helmet impacted the left shoulder of the offensive player and he wrapped him up. The inconsistency in the targeting call is crazy and this crew is notorious in ACC circles.
Was anybody else who watched the Miami bowl game surprised at the block in the back call made on Miami's should-have-been winning TD? I looked at the replay, and all I saw was a minimum of a slap on the back....definitely not a block.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Was anybody else who watched the Miami bowl game surprised at the block in the back call made on Miami's should-have-been winning TD? I looked at the replay, and all I saw was a minimum of a slap on the back....definitely not a block.
Make-up call for the multiple, obvious missed block-in-back calls on Miami's "miracle" return over Duke?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I bow to no one in my frustration with targeting calls, especially the one on Gotsis. There's now good evidence, imho, that we are seeing "Italian soccer" drills that are training players on how to draw targeting penalties. That's really pretty bad news and I don't know how to combat it; as GBS said, "Fair play is a spectator's virtue, not a participant's." But

I also recently saw a Charlie Rose show about concussions and their consequences. I have seldom seen anything that changed my mind on a question as quickly. As the panel of medical experts on the show outlined, concussions - and not just in football; basketball, lacrosse, and soccer too - are serious injuries with long standing effects and the more you have the worse it gets. Anything we can do to reduce them is called for. This is especially the case since the injury itself is undetectable with existing diagnostic techniques - the whole thing depends on self-reports - and there are no drugs to treat the injury yet. Better equipment would help a lot as would the quick death of the "suck it up" mentality concerning head injuries. Another thing of real concern to a guy with two young granddaughters = women and girls are much more susceptible to concussions then men are.

Originally, I thought the Tech staff was being pretty conservative about holding Shamire out for two weeks after he reported his symptoms. Now I find myself wondering whether they let him back on the field too soon; I'm sure he told them he was ok and wanted his job back from Joe.

Here's the link to the show:

http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60655099

Everybody should watch this, especially if you have a daughter(s).

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
Ok, I bow to no one in my frustration with targeting calls, especially the one on Gotsis. There's now good evidence, imho, that we are seeing "Italian soccer" drills that are training players on how to draw targeting penalties. That's really pretty bad news and I don't know how to combat it; as GBS said, "Fair play is a spectator's virtue, not a participant's." But

I also recently saw a Charlie Rose show about concussions and their consequences. I have seldom seen anything that changed my mind on a question as quickly. As the panel of medical experts on the show outlined, concussions - and not just in football; basketball, lacrosse, and soccer too - are serious injuries with long standing effects and the more you have the worse it gets. Anything we can do to reduce them is called for. This is especially the case since the injury itself is undetectable with existing diagnostic techniques - the whole thing depends on self-reports - and there are no drugs to treat the injury yet. Better equipment would help a lot as would the quick death of the "suck it up" mentality concerning head injuries. Another thing of real concern to a guy with two young granddaughters = women and girls are much more susceptible to concussions then men are.

Originally, I thought the Tech staff was being pretty conservative about holding Shamire out for two weeks after he reported his symptoms. Now I find myself wondering whether they let him back on the field too soon; I'm sure he told them he was ok and wanted his job back from Joe.

Here's the link to the show:

http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60655099

Everybody should watch this, especially if you have a daughter(s).
Concussions are very serious but shamire wasn't the only 1 with 1 this season but he sat out the longest. Please let's not act like he wasn't dressed and played the field goal squad in that VT game. His injury gad nothing to do with not playing and I believe he had no say so about his playing time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Concussions are very serious but shamire wasn't the only 1 with 1 this season but he sat out the longest. Please let's not act like he wasn't dressed and played the field goal squad in that VT game. His injury gad nothing to do with not playing and I believe he had no say so about his playing time.
Was Shamire big as a toddler? ;)