Gotsis targeting

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game and more than slightly inebriated. Fans with HD, was it even close? I watched the play and the replay on the jumbotron, and it looked like a tickey tack helmet to helmet at most. I was in shock when they ejected him.
I'm hoping Kallon playing will pay dividends later, but we missed the big man today. He is our best defensive player.
Will he be back for Clemson? Out a half or none of it?

ramblin' wagon

Georgia Tech Fan
Targeting and Initiating Contact With the Crown of the Helmet (Rule 9-1-3)

No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)

Gotsis didn't use the crown of his helmet so he didn't violate rule 9-1-3. Williams was in the process of throwing the ball so therefore he is defined as a defenseless player. The question is did Gotsis initiate contact to the head of neck area. The helmets did make contact but to me it was a solid form tackle like you are taught to do. If every time 2 helmets made contact someone was ejected there would be quite a few ejections every game. In my opinion that call strayed far from the intent of the rule.

ramblin' wagon

Georgia Tech Fan
Defenseless player—a player not in position to defend himself.

Examples (Rule 2-27-14):

• A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.
  • A receiver attempting to catch a pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
  • A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick.
  • A player on the ground.
  • A player obviously out of the play.
  • A player who receives a blind-side block.
  • A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped.
  • A quarterback any time after a change of possession.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Was a great hit...I was sitting in the student section in the endzone where the play happened and it looked like a beast clean hit. The QB ducked his head which made Gotsis hit the helmet. If M. Williams hadn't ducked his head, Gotsis would have hit him in the chest. I was screaming b******* for about 10 minutes after, so if you heard it...that was me

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I actually thought it was the correct call.

Hate it. But true.

He led with the his helmet into a defenseless players helmet/chest.

EVERYTHING that can go wrong this season, has gone wrong. Potentially a difference in this game.

Redic.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Don't think we lose him for part of next week's game. I think that if the foul occurs in the second half, the player also must sit out the first half of the next game. The penalty was in the 2nd quarter IIRC.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he is out for the first half with Clemson- to me it was a good hit, good form tackle up the middle, I really was disappointed it was not over ruled on re-play. I guess they do not realize we play Austrailian Football in the Flats!